Missing: wireless charging

1. Mrmjames Eclair May 16, 2018

Mrmjames, May 16, 2018 :
    I know dash charge is much quicker but why has wireless charging been left out of the OnePlus 6? It's usually not necessary to dash charge, overnight for example but very good to have it when you need some more juice. Wireless charging is in pretty much every phone, flagship, mid range & even (semi) budget (honour 10, umidigi z2).
    I've set up my car's for wireless charging knowing the OnePlus 6 was having a glass back... Not sure why the 6 has a glass back unless there was an issue implemening the wireless charging... Why go for a more fragile, heavier material if it serves no purpose? Leaving out this feature unfortunately might make me switch over to another brand that has it. This had to be one of the key new requested features for the 6?

sahil.amanu, vrda08, GodTamIt and 2 others like this.
  2. Nick 59 Lollipop May 16, 2018

Nick 59, May 16, 2018 :
    No need to trickle charge wirelessly when a few minutes dash charging (without the bulky desk pad) will set you up for the day.

Wahoux, Vignesh_raj, bminkes and 3 others like this.
  3. Photoman9988 Jelly Bean May 16, 2018

Photoman9988, May 16, 2018 :
    Why? To save money. Wireless charging sucks, anyways. It's slow, and you can't use your phone while it's charging.

4. Mrmjames Eclair May 16, 2018

Mrmjames, May 16, 2018 :
    Beats fumbling around in the dark for your cable. Or having to plug a cable in when you get in the car. Oneplus tend to give users the option. Alot of new cars have wireless charging now... If the OnePlus is a flagship killer it needs to be covering all the flagship features. Not everyone will want / use it but you could say that about face unlock, gesture support, the camera features, the slider switch etc etc... All great features that are on a par / beating flagships. Love my 5T but don't see a reason to upgrade to the 6.

5. the98kid Ice Cream Sandwich May 16, 2018

Mrmjames likes this.
  6. Mrmjames Eclair May 16, 2018

Mrmjames, May 16, 2018 :
    As long as the charge is greater than the power the phone is using then that's all that's required... Using for sat nav in a car, playing music in the car, sat on the bedside table doing nothing over night... Dash charge isn't needed in these circumstances... Which are probably pretty common ones

7. Mrmjames Eclair May 16, 2018

Mrmjames, May 16, 2018 :
    The've said the're on a 6 month cycle so could be they had to hold something back for that! Would hope the've not started thinking like that

8. Gav_W86 KitKat May 16, 2018

Gav_W86, May 16, 2018 :
    Yes its slow. But never had the inability to use the phone whilst charging on the various ones I've tried.

Nick 59 likes this.
  9. Nick 59 Lollipop May 16, 2018

Nick 59, May 16, 2018 :
    My point was that there is no need to be trickle charging at all.
    Dash charge while you are in the shower in the morning and you're good for the day. Wireless charging used to be useful for trickle-charge overnight but dash-charge is a game changer imho.

10. joshhud Honeycomb May 16, 2018

joshhud, May 16, 2018 :
    So i have been saying that they wont make a OP 6T because they wont have anything to add... Guess it will be wireless charging. God that is stupid. Why make a glass phone with no wireless charging?

Mrmjames likes this.
  11. Mrmjames Eclair May 16, 2018

Mrmjames, May 16, 2018 :
    I'm fully charged overnight every night, just on a standard charger. Keep my dash charge about the house if I need to top up... Can't dash charge when I'm on the go all day, in & out the car. Would be nice to dock it in a wireless dock to keep it from dying whilst in use all day & don't enjoy plugging / unplugging every 10 minutes... Maybe my circumstances are different from the norm but just would like the option that most other phones now give me.

Nick 59 likes this.
  12. rahulopg Honeycomb May 16, 2018

rahulopg, May 16, 2018 :
    wireless charging would have been very slow..so better its not there..thnk u oneplus

Nick 59 likes this.
  13. Nick 59 Lollipop May 16, 2018

Nick 59, May 16, 2018 :
    I accept that everyone will find a charging practice that suits them but if you are fully charged in the morning why would you need to charge during the day? How much is left in battery at the end of a typical day?
    In the old days I would have to think about topping up during the day but 5T still has up to 50% left when I get home so no need for wireless charging until battery starts to seriously degrade.

14. GodTamIt Eclair May 16, 2018

GodTamIt, May 16, 2018 :
    +1 on this. I have a car setup with a wireless charging pad in the center console, and it's extremely convenient for me not to have to keep plugging it in/out every time I want to use it. I know it might not be useful to everyone but why include a glass back but then not include wireless charging? I desperately need to buy a new phone, love almost everything else about this phone, and was so ready to fork over my money...but this, for my personal day-to-day use, is a dealbreaker :(. I had an S8 and then a G6 and V30, but I don't like the software and slow updates. Maybe Nokia 9 or Pixel 3 will get it right

/endrant

jobber72 and Mrmjames like this.
  15. Mrmjames Eclair May 16, 2018

GodTamIt likes this.
  16. Mrmjames Eclair May 16, 2018

Mrmjames, May 16, 2018 :
    I'm currently at 31% but this has not been a typical day for me... I've probably used my phone half as much if not less than on a normal day today... I've not ever been able to get through a day without charging it at some point... & The most convenient time for me to charge my phone is when I'm driving as I'm not needing to do something on it ( just have it displaying satnav / playing music). Technology should be all about convenience

Nick 59 likes this.
  17. l3p1dl0 Ice Cream Sandwich May 16, 2018

Mrmjames likes this.
  18. jobber72 Jelly Bean May 16, 2018

jobber72, May 16, 2018 :
    Amen to this. I was really hoping and expecting wireless charging so I could just drop it in the "phonebox" (Audi speak for the wireless charging pad *and* picking up antenna so external car antenna is used) instead of having to fumble in the dark with the wire. If no wireless charging, why on earth go with a glass back? Just keep it metal or such (like on the 3/3T); lighter in weight, easier for heat dissipation and not so breakable.

GodTamIt and Mrmjames like this.
  19. Nick 59 Lollipop May 16, 2018

Nick 59, May 16, 2018 :
    I do understand and as you say, what is most convenient for you, is what is most important.
    I had a phone with wireless charging before 5T and it was great to be able to just throw it onto the desk pad during day or bedside pad at night but I didn't have wireless charger in car. I definitely think it would be cool (see '* ' below) to just throw it into its spot and know you're topping up but...
    Wireless tops up so slowly that you'd need to be in the car for a fair proportion of the day to make it worthwhile and, in that case, the few seconds required to plug in the dash charger are worthwhile even if you spend 10 mins in the car so, until wireless charging speeds improve quite a bit, I'll not be seeking it out.

*I still think it's 'cool' waving my phone to pay for stuff in shops. Sad, but true. [e]1f609[/e]

Mrmjames and GodTamIt like this.
  20. GodTamIt Eclair May 16, 2018

GodTamIt, May 16, 2018 :
    I definitely agree that for a lot of people, that works and that's really awesome if it works for you! For heavier users, that might not be enough. I especially have this problem because I work at a company where, even though I don't work on Android, I'm still auto-upgraded (read: forced) to the pre-beta dogfood builds, which can often drain a lot of battery. There are some scenarios where a full charge doesn't work out for some people.

Yeah desk scenario may not be best for wireless charging. But the car center console + close to my shower for Bluetooth music/charging (don't judge me) + Starbucks (not having to bring my charger out) are just a few scenarios where wireless charging is useful for me.

All in all, especially given they were going to hike the price regardless, I don't see how including an extra feature, even if I were to rarely use it, hurts. 100% my opinion but just wanted to get my disappointment out haha.

Mrmjames and Nick 59 like this.
  21. Rajvez Gingerbread May 16, 2018

Rajvez, May 16, 2018 :
    Agreed , that glass back is there for reason , wireless charging for OP 6T .

l3p1dl0 likes this.