MKBHD OP6

1. malidan Marshmallow May 16, 2018

malidan, May 16, 2018 :
    Yep I'm looking forward to this one after watching his scaling of the S9 and the P20 Pro.

How biased will he get.

Njoy:D or Not:rolleyes:

2. Shuller Jelly Bean May 16, 2018

Shuller, May 16, 2018 :
    I am one of the guys who says the most of times what are bad points in OP phones... and I kinda like the OP6.
    Still, I am not gonna buy a device like this... I do not really need a full body display... What I need is a way to fastly unlock the phone while it's on the table.
    Yeah, I am an office man, so I need to have some security coz of corporation, security certificates, however, later it is hard to unlock it.
    I have to waste time on lifting it up.
    I like what Huawei did... they still have the FP on front... so for me that is a more acceptable one.

P.S. MKBHD Biased like always)

Cheers,

3. malidan Marshmallow May 16, 2018

malidan, May 16, 2018 :
    He loves those clicky buttons:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 27, 2018

4. G_TV95_MeLm Ice Cream Sandwich May 16, 2018

G_TV95_MeLm, May 16, 2018 :
    Well of course every person would have their own takes on stuff. It shouldn't matter to you if he's biased, there are plenty of reviewers out there whose channels you can visit and make a decision for yourself. Last I checked, YouTube was free for that.

5. DARTH 007 KitKat May 16, 2018

DARTH 007, May 16, 2018 :
    it's not a great upgrade from the 5T.
    also Carl hasn't said anything much about the camera.
    now everyone should be careful of the YouTubers who will give rave reviews.
    performance wise it should be a solid phone but no bump up in battery is a disappointment.

6. Drasm19 Honeycomb May 16, 2018

Drasm19, May 16, 2018 :
    MKBHD is a dedicated and unbiased reviewer in my opinion.
    He was right about P20 pro, S9 and Pixel 2xl.

How do I know?
    I have a pixel 2xl and my roommates have S9 plus and P20 pro, we all agree that photos look more natural and better on pixel than S9 which tends to be over saturated or P20 that is either a hit or miss.

DXO mark isn't everything, Pixel 2xl is still hands down the best smartphone shooter in the market.

MKBHD is a true android enthusiast, he prefers stock android over bloated skins and hates gimmicks.

If that's being biased, then I'm biased too.

7. aenews KitKat May 16, 2018

aenews, May 16, 2018 :
    Everyone has differing opinions and thus different biases. You're pretty hardline yourself on certain topics. This review was already on my watch list, so I'll get back to it once I'm home. My biggest disappointment is no QHD Display, but I don't have much of a problem otherwise.

8. malidan Marshmallow May 16, 2018

malidan, May 16, 2018 :
    He makes a point of being very hardlined against anything that is not
    Google
    Apple
    OP
    With the bias becoming more prominent with each passing year.
    His comment "straight up trash" about the P20 pro not being stabilised at 4k is point in case.
    Last year with the OP 5 having the same issue he said, I hope they can sort this with an update.;)
    Same issue, different stance.
    I'm very underwhelmed by this device it's just a OP5T with a notch and a glass back. They don't even have a IP certification, there are €250 devices with IP certification
    Long time no see, how's it hanging;)

Last edited: May 28, 2018

9. aenews KitKat May 16, 2018

aenews, May 16, 2018 :
    Yeah glad to see you're still kicking on the forums! Yeah I don't care whatsoever about certification. All that matters is how well it performs in practice when drenched. Water resistance isn't a feature I particularly want, but it's a good thing they took measures to make it more water-resistant. I guess we'll see in reviews how it holds up against the competition. I think I'd rather have the metal build than glass, but it's not a problem (unless this messes with the previously solid heat dissipation). I'll probably be using Dbrands again.

I'm impressed that they once again improved the band support (i.e. Adding B71 LTE or I suppose BC1 CDMA). The OP6 is pretty much the best phone for actual use as a (world) phone. Single phone for the whole world with excellent band support and Dual SIM. That's definitely the one area it really shines.

Definitely disappointed we're still left with FHD+ Pentile and not QHD+. That's what I dislike the most. Also disappointed Samsung still uses Pentile. One day...

10. malidan Marshmallow May 16, 2018

malidan, May 16, 2018 :
    On the amount of times I would need this, I wouldn't even waste the energy looking it up tbh.
    Samsung and the like don't have any issue with heat and glass, so as long a OP have taken the measures they didn't on the 5T, there shouldn't be an issue.

On water resistance never say never, anyone can have a mishap.
    I'd rather have and don't need it, then need it and not have it;)

Last edited: May 17, 2018

patrice58 and nyzproof333 like this.
  11. aenews KitKat May 16, 2018

aenews, May 16, 2018 :
    Well OnePlus has had better heat dissipation than Samsung ever since they switched to aluminum unibody in the 3.

What are the measures not taken that you are referencing?

Yeah sure. The aluminum unibody already made for base-line water resistance. They improved the water-resistance now by protecting the ports. No one has a clue how well it works now, but we'll see in reviews.

12. malidan Marshmallow May 16, 2018

malidan, May 16, 2018 :
    Dude there is nothing unbiased about his reviewing
    He gave the P20 pro a half thumbs up.
    He said "we have better things over here in the Snapdragon" how more biased can you be than that?
    The 2017 Kirin beat out the 2017 SD835, so he compares the 2018 SD845, let's see what he says when the Kirin 980 gets here.

If there is one thing Pixel pictures are not is natural.
    Portrait clearly look like a picture on picture and general photos at heavily processed. Most reviewer say the same thing.

DXO mark was everything when his favoured devices topped the list, his constant side stepping of any issues on the Pixel is a joke. The Pixel 2 XL's screen is poor hence Pixel sales were poor again.
    The S9 sold more almost 3 x more in 3 weeks than the Pixel sold since release, so excuse me if I take his S9 review with a mountain of salt.
    He said OP nailed it with the 3, He said the OP2 was a flagship, he said the OP5 didn't look like the iPhone.
    Yeah right:tearsofjoy:

13. aenews KitKat May 16, 2018

aenews, May 16, 2018 :
    Kirin is trash. Samsung has done well with Exynos recently, however :)

Sales are irrelevant. You know the saying. If everyone jumps off a cliff, will you jump too? Doesn't mean the iPhone X is the best phone ever (although actually I appreciate the huge jump in feature set Apple brought with the latest generation). Anyways, reviewers don't judge by sales. They judge based on their view of the product and if they'd recommend the product.

Pretty sure he has always prefaced it with the price and balanced against the feature set. Has areas where it shines and areas where it sucks. Mostly balanced and not excessive price point.

14. malidan Marshmallow May 16, 2018

malidan, May 16, 2018 :
    No heat sink, not even thermal paste. As seen in teardowns .
    You reckon heat dissipation is better, when there are still a mountain of complaint about heat, every device it's the same old story.
    My Note 8 doesn't even get near 40 when charging and people are quoting 45-50 on their OP5T's;)

I'm sure I've shown you several times in speed test where the 3/3T were way hotter than the S7E.
    Hence LBS bricking his 3T to beat the S7E.
    With the OP locking to 100% cpu to complete the simplest of tasks it's bound top run hotter, basic physics will back that one up.

ilovesoneplus and NovinDavis like this.
  15. malidan Marshmallow May 16, 2018

malidan, May 16, 2018 :
    You say that but it topped the holly grail for OP fans Antutu and showed OP a clean pair of heels.
    It also beat the pant of them in speed tests despite having all that bloat and OP been riddled with speed cheats;)

NovinDavis likes this.
  16. malidan Marshmallow May 17, 2018

malidan, May 17, 2018 :
    Sales are always irrelevant to those who don't have them.
    The sale reference was in regard to that guy saying MKBHD was right, Sales tell a different story.
    IF he was so right the Pixel would have sold more than a poultry 3 million at the top end of the market.
    All he spoke about was camera and stock android and not that fact their ain't that much after that.
    Yet he micro reviewed the S9 and P20 and clearly took cheap shots at them, he doesn t do that with Google, or Apple, or OP.

Watch MKBHD's old video's and watch nowadays, the bias is there if you choose to see it.

rohit.mcmmxcvii likes this.
  17. aenews KitKat May 17, 2018

aenews, May 17, 2018 :
    It doesn't lock to maximum frequency. Except maybe in benchmarking. I do actually lock to maximum frequency though because I can get away with it w/o throttling issues. Pretty sure I've linked you Anandtech's review way back for the 3 or 3T.

18. aenews KitKat May 17, 2018

aenews, May 17, 2018 :
    Still trash. AnTuTu is a terrible benchmark to test performance, and the parameters are so wide and varied that it isn't useful as a tool, especially when only comparing an overall score. The tests it does use are hardly that intense and don't take throttling into consideration. The majority of those cheap processors from less popular companies simply go for strong multi-core performance to top the charts and settle for weak GPU's and usually sub-par single-core performance. That's the issue with Kirin. Also the devices that feature them usually will throttle far faster and will actually be worse for long-term performance. It's simple marketing to show off the numbers in areas where it looks good.

19. meatandy Oreo May 17, 2018

meatandy, May 17, 2018 :
    Hehehehe , I was reading the thread while he was talking. :tearsofjoy:

Thanks for the thread.

Last edited: May 26, 2018

Bouncer71, tobias14 and malidan like this.
  20. malidan Marshmallow May 17, 2018

malidan, May 17, 2018 :
    You say that again, BUT.
    Antutu released a ist of the most benchmarked devices and 3 of the top 5 were OP's.
    If they did it now it would be 4 of the to 5 with the OP5T now being in the list, OP live for Antutu and sell devices because of it.
    That's why they have been caught cheating 3 times on it, ;)
    I've told you before I fully respect your knowledge but your opinions are personaly driven from your passion for modding and ownership, the reality on the floor is very different.
    Any device can be modded and other SOC platform have yet to be fully tapped.
    Huawei are now releasing sources and developing their own GPU so over the next 2 years we will see the true potential of their SOC's. The Kirin 980 is looking monsterous.

SD is heavily reliant on GPU and is well behind Exynos and Kirin when it comes to number crunching, hence why most Benchmarks are GPU biased except Geeks.:D
    This is fun, just like the old days.

Last edited: May 17, 2018

G_plusone likes this.