mkbhd revealed camera of oneplus 7 pro is not good

1. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

mattyelle1 , May 28, 2019 :

elanglois

You do NOT need 1000 nits for HDR. I think my TV is 600 and its incredible ... burns your retinas in a dark room. The 800 of the OP7 Pro is more than enough.

TVs are basically $1/nit !​

No. I have a 1,000 NIT TV and it was more than 1$/NIT lol. I tried the Vizio M series before my Sony and it was about 600 NITs. I could barely make the difference over SDR which I think goes near 400 NITs...only 50% increase you don't really see it. Most HDR content is mastered for 1,000 NITs and up. You might see a difference, but it's not the full dynamic range of brightnesses.

800 NITs is enough to enjoy HDR yes...but my OP 7 Pro doesn't output highlights near 800 NITs...looks like about half of that.

2. elanglois
    Lollipop May 28, 2019

elanglois , May 28, 2019 :
    Did you turn up the brightness? Its rated at 816 or something

3. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

Yes. That's an ongoing convo in display thread. Go see it there, I show examples of movies in Plex clearly not playing in HDR10. Which I can compare to my TV. Netflix seems to be the same.

4. elanglois
    Lollipop May 28, 2019

What do you mean, not playing in HDR 10? Is it not switching to the wider gamut?

What is your display set to? Natural only switches when color info is provided. Did you try switching to DCI-P3 manually?

Where is the thread?

5. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

elanglois

What do you mean, not playing in HDR 10? Is it not switching to the wider gamut?

What is your display set to? Natural only switches when color info is provided. Did you try switching to DCI-P3 manually?

Where is the thread?​

HDR and wide colour gamut are not synonymous. A display capable of a high dynamic range of brightnesses is able to better fill colour gamut because it can produce more shades of each colour. But to get more green, manufacturers are working towards other solutions...while for blue they are toying with filters to reduce blue light which exceeds what our eyes can see.

For HDR you shouldnt have to toggle anything. A certified display will recognize an HDR10, DV or HDR10+ file and display the image based on its algorithm which accounts for its limitations. Nonetheless I will play with colour presets and see if it helps...

6. elanglois
    Lollipop May 28, 2019

I'm aware. Only the Natural preset will auto-switch. If switching manually to DCI-p3 (what almost all HDR content is filmed in) fixes the issue, then it's just not switching and a better bug report can be filed

7. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

Good point...checking... thread is "display deep dive p.2" under OP 7 Pro general support section

8. Gaurav Rohilla
    Lollipop May 28, 2019

Gaurav Rohilla , May 28, 2019 :
    Lol, I feel dumb not googling it first. Anyways, thanks! this certainly was a knowledge refresher.

9. bpwest80
    KitKat May 28, 2019

10. khaf
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

khaf , May 28, 2019 :
    omg I had only taken a few shots in perfect condition. the dogs areying perfectly still and I'm on chill mode. I thought to myself let me take a few pictures before I get the new update. disclaimer I'm waiting on my unlock bin to convert my T-Mobile 7 Pro. these are the most garbage indoor pics I've taken in years. I compared these to so many photos in my Google photos. wow I didn't know it was this bad! it's still the best phone out to me but OnePlus needs to pay some werious attention to this asap. there's no effing way DXO gave this such a high score. I'm not a professional photographer but damn! if anyone else's camera was this trash they'd get destroyed for it. Don't let Google, Apple, Samsung, Huawei, LG, or insert other major players do this at this price.
    1559044089162.jpg

1559044089255.jpg

1559044089308.jpg
    the last pic is night scaoe and it's horrible too.

Edit1 I've had cheap phones I got for my kids do better than this. was it always this bad and I forgot because I've had so many phones? I don't remember my 3T, 6, or 6T being this trash.

Edit 2 did any reviewers ever use the camera in casual settings like this? it's like when they say blah blah snapdragon 4 or 6 series is nice and smooth. Well yeah until you load your stuff on and use it full beastode by a month.

Edit3 these pics look like pics I had from other phones after zooming in heavily.

Edit4 My Note 3 pic taken in April 2014 in lower light. Yes I. lower light 5 years ago.
    1559045040799.jpg

Edit5 Nov 15 2017 the essential phone with it's garbage camera in worse lighting and less work windows. you'd think it wouldn't even be close but....

1559046205016.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2019

mattyelle1 likes this.
  11. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

Yup...I'm finding the same issue even in well lit situations. These are from an indoor animal expo with large windows and garage doors letting natural light in...not low light...

Main sensor...

1559045181476.jpg

1559045115897.jpg

1559045181596.jpg

Ultra wide

1559045115669.jpg

1559045115789.jpg

12. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

that last pic of puppies looks like you used the flash :p

13. khaf
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

khaf , May 28, 2019 :

mattyelle1

Yup...I'm finding the same issue even in well lit situations. These are from an indoor animal expo with large windows and garage doors letting natural light in...not low light...

Main sensor...

View attachment 1025761

View attachment 1025760

View attachment 1025762

Ultra wide

View attachment 1025758

View attachment 1025759

I was shocked. I must have not been paying attention or just hadn't used the OnePlus cameras so much because I had other flagship phones.

I need to get off this T-Mobile software asap. I don't want to wait a few more than for these camera updates to come out after everyone else. It's a good thing summer is coming. I'll be able to get some great photos when it's super bright outside with my kids. maybe by time fall comes the camera will be as good as flagships from the last few years. if not then..... I'll have to go back to two phones again. ugh and I just sold my XS Max and 3XL recently.

Last edited: May 28, 2019

14. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

OP 7 Pro is proof DXOMark is a paid off joke.

Even a few years back I was finding holes in their tests, before them getting paid off. They are a DSLR testing company first. That means single lens photo-only in depth reviews of relatively dumb devices...

Terrible motion handling, shutter delay, terrible focusing issues photo and video, over exposure on my S7 Edge level, and lack of software features (live photo, scene recognition, true night mode...) are all reasons OP 7 Pro shouldn't have landed over 100.

15. khaf
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

khaf , May 28, 2019 :
    mattyelle1

OP 7 Pro is proof DXOMark is a paid off joke.

Even a few years back I was finding holes in their tests, before them getting paid off. They are a DSLR testing company first. That means single lens photo-only in depth reviews of relatively dumb devices...

Terrible motion handling, shutter delay, terrible focusing issues photo and video, over exposure on my S7 Edge level, and lack of software features (live photo, scene recognition, true night mode...) are all reasons OP 7 Pro shouldn't have landed over 100.

earlier someone said their S7 was better and I thought they were hating until this morning. this just shows how good OnePlus is though. you gotta give em credit. This is still my favorite phone despite the dumpster fire camera. F the iPad rating and wireless charging just give me great camera. I just looked at a photo from my HTC Droid DNA where the lighting in the room was very similar with less windows and wow lol
    1559047528140.jpg

This is Jan 23 2013

It shouldn't be anywhere close to the 7 Pro. don't make me post pics from Anything from the last couple years. I purposely chose the worst pics I could find for comparison in the same setting.

16. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

That was me. I prefer my S7 Edge because every video keeps my subject properly in focus, pics are more consistent, shutter is much faster, and if I miss a moment I can go extract best shot of 3 second loop prior to shutter going off.

No sense upgrading a phone I've had for over 2 years and for which I paid 380$ (used)....for a phone with a worst cam.

17. khaf
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

khaf , May 28, 2019 :
    I'll give this a few months and if this is the same I don't know about OnePlus again. I'm trying to stick to just one phone from now on since I have the iPad Pro now for imessage. I don't flash ma y Tom's anymore too. I guess we'll see.

18. khaf
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

khaf , May 28, 2019 :
    look at my other pics and look at this with natural light
    1559048403163.jpg
    light directly on my dog

19. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

For the record this is based on my personal use cases. Obviously having an ultra wide and 2.887x (or 2x) telephoto zoom and pixel binning 48MP sensor are upgrades. OnePlus needs to fix and engineer software further. IMO in this order:

1) shutter speed needs to be instant
    2) maintaining focus on centered subject
    3) smart detect still moments or AI enhance bad pics
    4) noise reduction, especially in some shooting conditions
    5) nightscape 3.0 to match pixel quality
    6) live photos feature (3 second loop prior to shutter)

Until then, I'm going back to Samsung

20. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

That's bad. I would expect to see individual hair stands...not a hot mess of mushed colours.