mkbhd revealed camera of oneplus 7 pro is not good

1. khaf
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

khaf , May 28, 2019 :
    mattyelle1

That's bad. I would expect to see individual hair stands...not a hot mess of mushed colours.

I can't remember having indoor photos this bad. I don't even want to take outdoor pics for comparison. I'll go the ignorance is bliss route.

I just gave up two beast camera phones but you can't pry this iPad Pro away from me so ugh. I guess I might be one of those people taking pictures with my tablet lol. maybe I'll get some airpods and look full douche mode while I'm at it[e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e]

2. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

mattyelle1 , May 28, 2019 :
    There is no AI. I mean they are using a pixel binning camera like Huawei flagships. It should be doing much much better in low light

3. IanbUK
    Froyo May 28, 2019

IanbUK , May 28, 2019 :
    Dhruv, I'm a new OnePlus owner and already starting to hate the forums. it's really frustrating when people just ignore evidence in front of them and continue to say bad things about the phone and OnePlus. I tried and I have seen many posts by yourself showing amazing photos and it's almost as if they ignore them or don't want to believe it. very sad.

your photos have been amazing, look forward to seeing more. I haven't taken many photos yet as I've been unwell for a few days but I have got some good ones and I can see the improvement in the latest update.

keep up the good work, some of us do listen and like what you post [e]1f601[/e]

Dhruv Weaver likes this.
  4. DJSubterrain
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 28, 2019

DJSubterrain , May 28, 2019 :
    Loving how people, who obviously have no clue how to compose a shot correctly, blame the camera.

"A bad workman..."

5. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

Irony is your the ignorant one. I have 2 small kids. They monopolize most of my attention and energy when I'm with them...which is when I tend to use camera most often. I don't have time to "compose a shot correctly". My window of opportunity to "compose" a shot is rarely longer than a few seconds long. I need to point and shoot. That's where this camera fails.

We're not all professional photographers, with time and patience only taking pictures of still objects. A camera in 2019 needs to do more ... at least compared to competition.

6. Dhruv Weaver
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer May 28, 2019

Dhruv Weaver , May 28, 2019 :
    Thank you! The forums are usually a good place with thoughtful discussion, but when a new device comes out and it isn't perfect, people tear it up without acknowledging the facts. Hopefully people learn that it's a great phone and has a great camera. And enjoy your new phone!!

IanbUK likes this.
  7. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

My OP 7 Pro received the latest firmware update which includes low light performance and fixes focusing issues...
    Screenshot_20190528-111736.jpg

I did some tests this morning in good lighting conditions indoor (office neon lights)...

In this first test, you can see much more details on s7 Edge photo...

7 Pro point and shoot:
    1 point 7 Pro IMG_20190528_105020.jpg
    S7 Edge Point & Shoot (had to resize down 4032:3024 to 4000:3000 due to being slightly too large for this forum...most of quality retained):
    1 point s7 Edge compress 20190528_105001.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2019

8. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

In this test the s7 Edge is much better hands downs. The 7 Pro has many parts of books out of focus with lack of clarity, and you can see it blows the "MGraw Hill" logo out...it almost always over exposes bright & light colours...

7 Pro Point & Shoot (compressed to 3000:2250): 2 point 7 pro IMG_20190528_105108.jpg
    S7 Edge Point & Shoot (compressed to 3000:2250):
    2 point s7 Edge 20190528_105057.jpg

Last edited: May 28, 2019

9. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

I have other photo tests to compare but that's enough for now. Sharing to show what I'm experiencing going from my 2.5 year old phone to the 7 Pro. I'm also having issues with moving subjects for photos and video, as well as experiencing various focusing issues I've never had with S7 Edge.

I think part of the issue (other than lack of AI to optimize each frames dynamic range and focus) is that OP aggressively compresses the files to save storage space. That's a good feature, but on 7 Pro it's too aggressive resulting in files sometimes a third the size (like earbud pic) but major loss of details.

For those willing to wait, this can likely be adjusted via software updates. But at this time it seems OP lacks the experience to make a good software for its camera.

The Sony 48MP is better than the Samsung sensor in my S7 Edge. I can see hints of this in some pictures and videos. The software is just not nearly up to par. With time this can become a very good camera phone, but it seems it's at least months away from achieving that.

10. khaf
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

khaf , May 28, 2019 :

DJSubterrain

Loving how people, who obviously have no clue how to compose a shot correctly, blame the camera.

"A bad workman..."​

it's funny how people like me have had so many phones taking way better pictures even phones way older. So why is it that OnePlus falls short compared to so many other phone makers? I've gotten some good photos in more ideal situations but is that how we measure good? that's like saying let's judge a phone when it's fresh with no apps loaded. I guess there's no fire where all the smoke is. if OnePlus addressed this properly people including me would shut up happily. it's like Samsung with software. how did they get people to start calming down? they improved their mess of software until people were pleased more. closed mouths don't get fed and tech wouldn't get better without competition and us complainers. Do you have to be professional to get a good shot with a smart phone? I guess with OnePlus in optimal situations sure. there's a difference between people that hate and never owned certain products to people that spent their money and supported a product. unless OnePlus explicitly said this camera is for professional photographer we'd have no room to gripe. when you have about the camera and tout having one of the highest scores from a so called defa to camera review site you open yourself up for this criticism. When you say never settle and don't deliver on arguably the 1st or 2nd most important feature to most people then what?

11. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

Another point & shoot. The colors are much more vibrant on 7 Pro due to OP cranking up saturation, but the colors on s7 Edge are much closer to reality. There is much more detail and dynamic range in s7 Edge photos. I cropped in on full res pictures to show differences in detail. Look at the finer lines defining the object on s7 Edge, look at all the dust particles its able to capture compared to 7 Pro...

7 Pro (Resized to upload): 3 point 7 Pro shrunk IMG_20190528_115639.jpg

s7 Edge (Resized to upload):
    3 point s7 Edge shrunk 20190528_115646.jpg

7 Pro face:
    3 point 7 Pro face + beard IMG_20190528_115639.jpg

s7 Edge face:
    3 point s7 Edge face + beard 20190528_115646.jpg

7 Pro staff:
    3 point 7 Pro staff IMG_20190528_115639.jpg

s7 Edge staff:
    3 point s7 Edge staff 20190528_115646.jpg

Attached Files:

E1513091705018 likes this.
  12. khaf
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

khaf , May 28, 2019 :
    my pics from old *** cameras and the 7 Pro are up don't get me started with current flagship pics I have compared. I just used extreme cases to show what's up. Not a hater I just want better. if it were I'd have OnePlus phones for all of my phone lines and not just one. so I'll keep talking until I get that or end up pulling away my financial contribution to OnePlus. I think there are many people that feel that way.

13. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

Im returning the phone. Camera is too important to me. I can't argue this is the smoothest & fastest device I've ever used...but for watching HDR video the s10+ should be better due to brighter display and again Samsung software to optimize. I'll just have to deal with that ugly selfie cutout :/ 90Hz doesnt impact games or video. But if your into browsing menus all day or downloading files on/off your phone the 7 Pro is for you.

14. khaf
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

khaf , May 28, 2019 :
    I'm going to stick with it. the hardware is there and I think OnePlus wants to stamp out all the talk about their camera software besides. two of my kids have the newer iPhones and two have great shooters on the Android side. I'll borrow them when taking important pics depending on the sunlight outside. I live in Ohio so it isn't the same as say Florida [e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e] this is the gloomy overcast state. this phone is still effing great without the camera.

mattyelle1 likes this.
  15. khaf
    Gingerbread May 28, 2019

khaf , May 28, 2019 :
    on a more positive note I like the community app. Where can I get this in a dark mode or request it?