MMS only works on data active sim (dual sim)

1. patstar5
    Jelly Bean Jun 28, 2019

patstar5 , Jun 28, 2019 :
    Ok I'm using sim 1 with AT&T and sim 2 with mint mobile. If I have data on for mint mobile I can't send mms with sim 1 (att).

Gizmokid2005, maniedavis and marc87us like this.
  2. blaster219
    Eclair Jun 28, 2019

blaster219 , Jun 28, 2019 :
    As far as I know, MMS requires an active mobile data connection. It will not work over wi-fi. so if you only have mobile data turned on for SIM2 it won't work on SIM1.

This is based on working for a phone shop here in the UK so the rules may be different in other countries.

3. marc87us
    Cupcake Jun 30, 2019

marc87us , Jun 30, 2019 :
    On my OP5T I had dual AT&T SIM cards, SIM1 for call/text, SIM2 for data. I was able to send and receive MMS with SIM1 even though it wasn't the active data connection. I'm currently using dual sim with AT&T and Verizon on the OP7Pro and I'm having the same problem you are. I'm not sure if originally because both were AT&T I could still receive the MMS or if it's a device issue.

4. acizurqpid
    Cupcake Jul 11, 2019

acizurqpid , Jul 11, 2019 :
    I have OP5 running dual ATT sim and MMS works regardless which sim is default for data. I've upgraded to OP7 Pro and have the same problem as you with dual ATT Sims. Now only the Sim that has default data can send/receive MMS. Deal breaker for me. Returned it and still using OP5 now. Wish they can fix this.

maniedavis likes this.
  5. bkfarrell
    Donut Jul 11, 2019

bkfarrell , Jul 11, 2019 :
    I'm dual sim with Google Fi as Sim1 and a corporate VZW sim as sim2. I have my setting set to use sim1 for calls and messaging and data is sim2. MMS seems to work fine for me with sim1.

6. maniedavis
    Cupcake Jul 23, 2019

maniedavis , Jul 23, 2019 :
    I am also having issues with MMS the OnePlus 7 Pro. I have AT&T SIM cards in both slots. I have registered the new IMEIs and all software is up to date. I double checked the APN settings to ensure they are correct for AT&T. I've rebooted many times. I tried the messaging app that comes on the phone as well as Google Messages and Textra - none will work properly. SMS and calling works fine. However, MMS only works on the SIM that is selected as the default for data. I have to switch the default back and forth to get MMS on both SIMs. I did not have to do this on my OnePlus 3T. This is very frustrating as the phone is marketed as a dual SIM dual standby phone. It would be great if someone from OnePlus would chime in on this. I've exhausted the support team at AT&T and really feel like this is an issue with the hardware. Very disappointing that a 4 generation newer device doesn't have the same basic capability as my previous phone. Will be returning the phone if I can't get resolution within the 15 day return period.

7. G_android_x14
    Gingerbread Jul 23, 2019

G_android_x14 , Jul 23, 2019 :
    oh this scares me. I get my phone tomorrow and I am planning to use VZW and TMo together. I wonder if MMS works on both lines when wifi is available.

I hope all have submitted a bug report.

8. Niko Pappas
    Cupcake Jul 24, 2019

Niko Pappas , Jul 24, 2019 :
    I have a One Plus 7 Pro running ATT in SIM 1 and Google Fi in SIM 2.

I have no issue sending mms from either sim card while remaining activate on one or the other. I can send from Google Fi while on the ATT sim card.

The only issue with my set up is, If I try installing the Fi App, then SMS will not work at all on the Fi sim while using the ATT sim. Beware of this if you are using Fi and uninstall the Fi app after you have the phone set up.

9. maniedavis
    Cupcake Jul 29, 2019

maniedavis , Jul 29, 2019 :
    I did submit a bug report, but haven't received a response. I just submitted an RMA request to return the phone. I love it otherwise, but this is a deal killer. I have a ticket in with AT&T Tier 2 support, if they happen to come back with a fix before my RMA is approved, I will post back to this thread.

10. G_android_x14
    Gingerbread Jul 29, 2019

G_android_x14 , Jul 29, 2019 :
    I can report I am running tmo and Verizon sim with data on Verizon and mms works from both lines.

11. maniedavis
    Cupcake Jul 29, 2019

WOW, okay this must be an AT&T issue then...

12. maniedavis
    Cupcake Jul 29, 2019

Can I ask, did you get new SIM cards, or use ones you already had?

13. maniedavis
    Cupcake Jul 29, 2019

Did you ever figure out a resolution? I am still trying to figure this out with AT&T, but losing hope.

14. G_android_x14
    Gingerbread Jul 29, 2019

G_android_x14 , Jul 29, 2019 :
    I used existing tmo sim and got a new Verizon sim.

15. maniedavis
    Cupcake Jul 29, 2019

Thanks! I have no idea what the issue is, hopefully AT&T tier 2 support can help.

16. Gizmokid2005
    Eclair Aug 15, 2019

Gizmokid2005 , Aug 15, 2019 :
    Have you figured this out?

I just picked up some Fi sims to try out, as data only. I've been using AT&T as my primary number and carrier for years, so I still want calls and all SMS/MMS to go through that sim, but data to go through Fi.

The only way that MMS is working is if I set the default data sim to AT&T instead of Fi. Otherwise I only get notifications I have a new MMS to download and they never send. Even with the Fi app uninstalled and "Dual 4G networks" enabled. Unless I change the default data sim, MMS just refuses to work.

I have another phone in the house, a OP6 that has the exact same issue. I'd love to find a solution to this.

17. maniedavis
    Cupcake Aug 17, 2019

maniedavis , Aug 17, 2019 :
    Nope, not yet. AT&T tier 2 support was unable to help. They tried even though OP7 is an "unsupported device", but nothing worked. I have a bug report in with OnePlus, and sent them log info and screenshots. So far I have not received a resolution. That was two weeks ago. I followed up with them and they say their team is working on it, but I'm not sure. I have 15 days left to return the phone so I am hoping they can fix soon or I will be switching to iPhone which doesn't have any dual SIM issues on AT&T.

18. Gizmokid2005
    Eclair Aug 17, 2019

Gizmokid2005 , Aug 17, 2019 :
    Is it posted on the forums anywhere? This definitely feels like a OnePlus issue, not AT&T, since the phone should be able to discern where to pull MMS from.

19. maniedavis
    Cupcake Aug 17, 2019

maniedavis , Aug 17, 2019 :
    If you find something please post a link here. I have spent hours combing forums all over the internet, on the phone with AT&T, in the AT&T store and now waiting on OnePlus to respond to my bug report via email. I truly have tried everything I could think of and still no luck. My husband has the OP6 and has the same issue, so not likely to be fixed with any software updates. I think OP probably cheaped out on the modem and their new phones are not actually dual SIM dual standby (as advertised). They expect most people to only use one SIM at a time. It's crazy cause my OP3T had no issues with this at all.

Somehow other people on this thread don't have this issue, which is what made me think AT&T was the issue. Maybe I just got a lemon.

20. G_android_x14
    Gingerbread Aug 17, 2019