[MOD] Orzly Fusion case - Back removed

1. TheOriginalMèêk
    Gingerbread Dec 27, 2014

TheOriginalMèêk , Dec 27, 2014 :
    Orzly Fusion custom case

[​IMG]
    Here it is.. My Orzly Fusion case w/ most of the clear back removed.
    **Video at bottom of post**

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Result:
    I am fairly pleased with the outcome. I foolishly slipped up with my dremel and created some blemishes to undesired areas of the clear backing. All in all though I feel okay with how it came out. Got the edges nice and buttery smooth and the fit is still pretty good. It is not as tight as is was pre-mod but, I am still comfortable that it will protect and hold my device securely. The design wasn't something I completely planned out. I had an idea of how I wanted it to be and had a template in place but, I honestly was kind of just winging it towards the end.

Tools:
    Dremel rotary tool & 6 bits, regular file, masking tape & sandpaper (p600,1500 & 2000 grit)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Process:
    I started with testing the best method of cutting out the major part of the clear backing.

First - I tried my soldering iron with a fine wood burning tip. I quickly realized that wasn't the best choice and it got messy very very quickly. So I then reached for my dremel and cutting wheel bit. This turned out to be the method I used as it was much faster and less messy.

I then went on to cut out the large section of clear backing which was easy. I cut enough away from my template ( about an 1/8 of an inch ) to give me some room for error and to play with. I wanted to see what was the best method for fine trimming. Turns out the grinding bits were what worked.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then started to carefully grind down the remaining plastic back to where I setup my masking tape. A couple of times I slipped up and scratched the border around the camera and bottom section of clear plastic. Took me few times around to get it looking decent.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I began to sand and smooth the rough edges with DRY p600 grit. This took some time because I didn't want to scratch it any further than I already had. Once it was looking decent I repeated the same with DRY 1500 grit. Then finished it off with WET 2000 grit. It now feels incredibly smooth. Dare I say it feels just as smooth as the cutout for the camera.

Design:
    The reason behind the design is that I noticed if I removed the entire clear backing. my OnePlus One would essentially be laying naked on the floor when I placed it facing up on any surface. I left that ring around the camera cause I thought it would look better than just cutting straight through the camera opening. Any way hope you like this as much as I do.

Also one final thing I'd like to note is that when making this I came to realize the border I left around the camera also gives you a nice little place to rest your index finger when holding the device

[​IMG]

Hope you liked this post and I will try to do more like this as it was a pretty fun way to pass the time..

Enjoy & Happy Holidays

-Mèêk

2. dadys
    Honeycomb Dec 27, 2014

dadys , Dec 27, 2014 :
    looks ugly pal, I got the orzly case too and I got the cruzerlite case also and I think the second one is the best!

3. Flywhiz101
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 27, 2014

4. spaceman
    Gingerbread Dec 27, 2014

spaceman , Dec 27, 2014 :
    To each their own. But what exactly was the point of removing the rear of the case?

5. D.Bobat

6. Flywhiz101

Flywhiz101 , Dec 27, 2014 :
    to maintain the feeling of the original back im guessing.

7. blueq
    Honeycomb Dec 27, 2014

blueq , Dec 27, 2014 :
    Good job, if I may suggest a way to get rid of any blemishes and to make it fit more snugly you can use a heat gun or blow torch, however you must practice on a scrap piece to get the feel for it, I have finished a dashboard cut out for my new GPS/stereo in my Jeep this way and it looks as good as factory finished.

TheOriginalMèêk likes this.
  8. simonc76
    Jelly Bean Dec 27, 2014

spaceman likes this.
  9. TheOriginalMèêk
    Gingerbread Dec 27, 2014

Yup. That is correct. I like the feeling of the sandstone and to me it seems to help with gripping my phone

Axara and Flywhiz101 like this.
  10. TheOriginalMèêk
    Gingerbread Dec 27, 2014

Thanks for the tip. Will definitely test that out on a scrap piece beforehand.

11. uawan

uawan , Dec 27, 2014 :
    Nice but you can remove the whole clear part.the case made of two peices.what the point of cutting it ?

PhoenixFeather likes this.
  12. sucker
    Gingerbread Dec 27, 2014

Sandrame likes this.
  13. msri3here

14. scrivz69
    Jelly Bean Dec 27, 2014

15. AAB4K
    Jelly Bean Dec 27, 2014

16. sh3llshock
    KitKat Dec 27, 2014

17. votazap
    Jelly Bean Dec 27, 2014

votazap , Dec 27, 2014 :
    Personally don't like the look but that's just me enjoy :)

18. Reus
    Jelly Bean Jan 28, 2015

Reus , Jan 28, 2015 :
    No, you can't.

19. SnottierWhale
    Gingerbread Jan 28, 2015

SnottierWhale , Jan 28, 2015 :
    I actually like this and might do it to my case. Still keeps the bumper while having the back.

20. Jaroki
    Eclair Jan 28, 2015