Guide Modify Stock DPI on OP2: Requires ROOT, No Third-Party Apps

1. return.of.octobot
    Jelly Bean Aug 30, 2015

return.of.octobot , Aug 30, 2015 :
    This was a fairly obvious task for me, but I realize that it may not be so obvious to others and even those of us that are familiar with build.prop tweaking may have found themselves thrown off by how unconventional OP2's is.

So, to change DPI, we're accustomed to looking for the following line and inputting our desired value:

ro.sf.lcd_density=

Well guess what, OP2's build.prop does not contain this line, and many other commonly found entries are also strangely absent.

So guess what you need to do? You need to add it.

Using your File Manager of choice, preferably one more robust than OP2's stock offering, with root access, navigate to:

root/system

Scroll down and locate your devices build.prop file, open it with a text editor of your choosing and scroll down to the bottom where you'll need to add a space for a new line if there isn't one already, and paste in the aforementioned 'ro.sf.lcd_density=' followed by your DPI value of choice, which in my case looks like this:

ro.sf.lcd_density=400

Save your changes, reboot your device, and marvel at your much more practical display. Congratulations, you've just manually changed the DPI of your OnePlus 2.

Now that I know that doing this doesn't result in a nuclear holocaust, I've got a gang of additional build.prop tweaks I plan to test on this device. Stay tuned, and as painfully obvious as this may have been to some of you, I hope that at least a handful of you guys find this information to be beneficial.

Josh598208, pure.by, skyn3t and 19 others like this.
  2. Lokio27
    Gingerbread Aug 30, 2015

3. bgizzle
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 30, 2015

bgizzle , Aug 30, 2015 :
    Hum... 400 DPI with free Google googles provided by an adult site.

Lol OP2 just became useful?

risky1301 likes this.
  4. EpicSwirly
    Aug 30, 2015

EpicSwirly , Aug 30, 2015 :
    Oneplus should fix their buildprop and kernel. And give out the code name.:rolleyes: Thanks for the info.

rphlfjrd and eranm5 like this.
  5. return.of.octobot
    Jelly Bean Aug 30, 2015

You don't, the best way I can describe it is that many users find the default 480 DPI setting to appear very 'zoomed-in', with unnecessarily large elements. It's hard to describe unless you've seen the results on the flip-side, but many of us prefer lower DPI settings because we feel that it allows for a more practical display, with more available real estate.

6. ebanreb37
    Gingerbread Aug 30, 2015

ebanreb37 , Aug 30, 2015 :
    Go to terminal emulator,
    Type su then press enter then,
    wm density 401
    You're welcome

saarinmi, Adnanmohd, jm_rave and 3 others like this.
  7. waicool20
    Gingerbread Aug 30, 2015

waicool20 , Aug 30, 2015 :
    I thought the codename is already set? "Tocino"

8. SimonFullerImagery
    Jelly Bean Aug 30, 2015

SimonFullerImagery , Aug 30, 2015 :
    notifications always look nicer and the quick settings don't fill up the entire face of the phone. Don't go down to low though otherwise your eyes suffer from the smaller print. Between 420-440 has always been my sweet spot.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015

9. Nikolis1
    Gingerbread Aug 30, 2015

Nikolis1 , Aug 30, 2015 :
    Can't wait once we get kernel tweaks to change the CPU governor for battery performance

10. inffy
    Nordics POC Assistant Head Moderator Aug 30, 2015

inffy , Aug 30, 2015 :
    Nope, that is just a spanish word for bacon. There is no info abot hte "codename" so oneplus2 is the on used on the CM tree.

rphlfjrd and eranm5 like this.
  11. return.of.octobot
    Jelly Bean Aug 30, 2015

Within the device itself, all signs point to the codename being 'ONE' although I hope that's not the truly the case, as it's an utterly ridiculous name on many levels.

Again, with OnePlus and their unconventional conventions...

12. Deactivated User
    Aug 30, 2015

eggandham and sionmnt like this.
  13. return.of.octobot
    Jelly Bean Aug 30, 2015

No flames necessary lol, I can't confirm that for certain, but it does indeed sounds like a viable option. I just don't personally find myself using adb very often unless it's an emergency for several reasons, chief among them is limited PC access. But hey, I'm all for alternative methods so bring 'em on, just wanted to share the one I stumbled across.

14. Deactivated User
    Aug 31, 2015

15. justbeingamazin
    Eclair Aug 31, 2015

16. SimonFullerImagery
    Jelly Bean Aug 31, 2015

barathwaj likes this.
  17. johnnyjungle
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 31, 2015

Attached Files:

pastmann likes this.
  18. inffy
    Nordics POC Assistant Head Moderator Sep 1, 2015

inffy , Sep 1, 2015 :
    did you actually got that to work?

19. johnnyjungle
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 1, 2015

johnnyjungle , Sep 1, 2015 :
    Yes, root, install Le DPI Changer set your required DPI and use the Update Build.prop button and reboot

Attached Files:

pastmann likes this.
  20. byno
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 1, 2015

byno , Sep 1, 2015 :
    Texdroider does the same but the point of this thread is not installing a third party app.