Modify US OnePlus 9 Pro to accept dual SIM via OnePlus 9 Pro

1. Z1619276105548
    Cupcake Aug 20, 2021

Z1619276105548 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Aug 20, 2021 :
    I bought this phone to have two sims in one device, and surprisingly it stopped the service of not having an esim.

One of the reasons I bought this device is because of the dual sim

I have converted from iPhone to Oneplus device for the first time in my life, and I get this experience. I am extremely disappointed. I really need a solution for this.

I like OnePlus so far except for this issue, and I will sell my OnePlus device if there is no solution for this issue.

Is there anyway to modify my device to accept dual sim?

Bought it from USA

Jmlovejoy likes this.
  2. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Aug 20, 2021

Caomhin likes this.
  3. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Aug 20, 2021

4. drl431
    Junior Moderator, Community Hero 2020 Junior Moderator Aug 21, 2021

drl431 , via OnePlus 6 , Aug 21, 2021 :
    In the US, T-Mobile is a major partner, so they have enough clout to dictate how OnePlus can compete with them.

cdnfarmer, otto2, Bobbie63 and 2 others like this.
  5. G_plusone
    Nougat Aug 21, 2021

G_plusone , Aug 21, 2021 :
    so a dual sim adapter doesn't work even in carrier unlocked ones?
    Is it advertised as a single sim varient on the website?

6. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Aug 21, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Stellar Black , Aug 21, 2021 :
    Nope.
    Yeah. USA model is defined as single sim. Not just carrier models. It was incorrectly defined as dual sim at pre-order.
    Carriers don't "like" dual sim. A general view is that it is "not needed". This is probably affecting deals and such... "forcing" a single sim variant. But that is just theories.
    The users that simply want 2 numbers, private and work for example, and pays for 2 numbers on the same carrier... They are excluded in the equation even if carriers only gain from it.

cdnfarmer, otto2, Bobbie63 and 2 others like this.
  7. Z1619276105548
    Cupcake Aug 22, 2021

Z1619276105548 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Aug 22, 2021 :
    I contacted OnePlus support and here is the their reply.

"We apologize for the inconvenience, we have adopted tiny customization for the product design based on users' habits in different regions, so there might be tiny differences in terms of functions in different regions. NA thus only support single SIM card."

At first, it was advertised as dual, but then they said uhh in US only one sim.

G_plusone likes this.
  8. Z1619276105548
    Cupcake Aug 22, 2021

Z1619276105548 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Aug 22, 2021 :
    OnePlus reply:

"We apologize for the inconvenience, we have adopted tiny customization for the product design based on users' habits in different regions, so there might be tiny differences in terms of functions in different regions. NA thus only support single SIM card."

9. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Aug 22, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Stellar Black , Aug 22, 2021 :
    See my reply above about hrm... "not needed"... Who said that? Did you find someone saying that? 😉

Jmlovejoy likes this.
  10. Z1619276105548
    Cupcake Aug 25, 2021

Z1619276105548 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Aug 25, 2021 :
    Yes, OnePlus agent via Twitter account

11. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Aug 25, 2021

Jmlovejoy likes this.
  12. Z1619276105548
    Cupcake Aug 25, 2021

Z1619276105548 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Aug 25, 2021 :
    Hahaa gotcha, I guess you would never find that person

Swejuggalo likes this.
  13. greatzcx
    Cupcake Nov 30, 2021

greatzcx , Nov 30, 2021 :
    What a Disaster, received today. I just find out it is only one sim card adapter. Need to return.

14. Artemus
    Junior Moderator, Community Hero 2020 Junior Moderator Nov 30, 2021

Artemus , Nov 30, 2021 :
    And this is why you need to do your own research before jumping onto the bandwagon. It's common knowledge it's single-SIM because of carrier quasi-monopolies, at least in the US.

drl431 likes this.
  15. Dwstudeman
    Donut Dec 13, 2021

Dwstudeman , Dec 13, 2021 :
    It is NOT common knowledge so spare us your sanctimonious attitude. When you look down your nose at people you can't get a good look, it is your nose hair and dried mucous that you see, not the person. Common knowledge? Eyewash after the fact! Both my 8 Pro phones are dual sim and purchased in N America and this is one of the reasons why I did NOT purchase through T-Mobile. Believe it or not, some people actually travel to foreign countries and this feature is the best way to do it since T-Mobile and other carriers offer free internet and text when traveling, for calls one wants to be connected to wifi or it's 25 cents per minute. To use the Grab taxi service in Vietnam I needed a local sim and number to be able to use a card rather than cash but I did NOT wish to be cut off from my T-Mobile roaming ability which also worked perfectly in Taipei Taiwan. Yes there is a world out there away from your keyboard as well as the local cellphone tower, believe me, it really exists! I looked for the dual sim information when I purchased my 9 pro and the North American version being crippled was nowhere to be found, I spent hours looking before I decided to plop 1 grand down so it's in poor form to imply that anyone that did not know this is stupid. For me it's a requirement. The carriers do not dictate design requirements for phones that are NOT sold through them, you made this up. It was a poor decision made by Oneplus based on assumptions about how North Americans use their phones and now many of us have the most expensive phone they have ever offered that is not fully usable to us.

The fact that one can't set a 9 pro on a flat surface without it sliding off is also a source of irritation.

DeepState likes this.
  16. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Dec 13, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Stellar Black , Dec 13, 2021 :
    What's Samsungs reasons?
    https://www.pcmag.com/news/samsungs-z-flip-3-z-fold-3-are-both-single-sim-in-the-us

Artemus likes this.
  17. Kajalano
    Cupcake Dec 25, 2021

Kajalano , Dec 25, 2021 :

With all due respect, I don't think this was a "sanctimonious attitude" on the part of Artemus...the fact that something is common knowledge does NOT mean that we all know it and should not be taken as talking down.

For my part, I nearly got caught out myself before ordering the 9Pro and was shocked and disappointed at the singleSIM spec. Once I reflected on the company's penetration into the US carrier market though, it struck me as an almost inevitable consequence. I believe the 8/8Pro series got through the door based on when 'the deal' was inked, and sadly, I see it as the way forward for OP devices in the US. This is just pressure being put on a phone manufacturer now breaking into the US market by the "Mighty US Carriers". I am not sure what OP and other phone manufacturers are able to do about this but I feel it is a matter for the US regulators to address. I seem to recall there being a time when US carriers fought you to unlock their phones and that battle was eventually won, so maybe we can with this one too.

My workaround this time was ordering an 8T initially and then later figuring out the order process to get a 9Pro through the UK site.

As far as how OP handles this...
    I have had to contact OP on a few occasions and have used EVERY opportunity to give my take on this. I am not sure how large the US market is in the overall OP world but they MUST realise that the global market is all about dual SIM. They must also understand that until they have regional sites for each country (not ever likely), many people in the Americas and Caribbean access the US site for purchases that are not intended for use in the US. International versions should continue to be offered either through the US or a separate site. This and similar threads show that they are losing customers through this US carrier stranglehold.

DeepState likes this.
  18. odmunkh
    Cupcake Jan 4, 2022

odmunkh , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 4, 2022 :
    I have a same problem.
    US OnePlus 9 Pro (Model LE2125) as having dual SIM. I saw that the pins for both slots are present on the device.

OnePlus needs to make this right and release an update enabling the dual SIM functionality of the device.
    And need change SIM tray with both side sim slot.
    Its easy way to solve problem.

19. drl431
    Junior Moderator, Community Hero 2020 Junior Moderator Jan 4, 2022

drl431 , via OnePlus 6 , Jan 4, 2022 :
    That's not going to happen, as the decision has already been made.

Artemus likes this.
  20. odmunkh
    Cupcake Jan 4, 2022