Monthly Round-Up for the OnePlus TV - July 2020

1. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Jul 31, 2020

Venky61 , Jul 31, 2020 :
    Header.jpg

Hi OnePlus TV users,
    Welcome back to the July edition of Monthly Round-up for the OnePlus TVs. In case you missed the June edition, don’t forget to check that out here.

Welcome the New OnePlus TVs
    The launch day (2nd July 2020) started with an announcement made by @Pete about how the new OnePlus TVs are created together with the Community and the involvement of the Community members as OnePlus TV Product Ninjas for the inclusion of new features. As a member of the Product Ninja, I can say that the TV team has put all their effort to bring new features to the TV users. The pandemic situation did not stop them, instead of the offline workshops and meets, they gave us Online Workshops and regular brainstorming sessions to get the best of us.

Later in the evening, we witnessed the launch of 2 new OnePlus TV series U and Y. @Tilen P did an amazing job of showcasing the features of the New TVs. Couldn’t have asked for a better presenter :)
    Sad that none of my Cost Predictions turned out to be true, but happy that the Y series pricing has been amazing. The 32“ HD Ready TV (32Y1) is priced at 12,999/-, 43” FHD TV (43Y1) is priced as 22,999/- and the 55“ 4K TV (55U1) is priced at 49,999/-.

To know more product details of the new TVs, you can check out these very useful Guides prepared by @razzor228 by collating all the information available about these devices. I would recommend bookmarking the guides as we will make sure that all the info about updates, bugs, troubleshooting methods and tutorials will be posted there.

Ultimate Guide for OnePlus TV Y1 Series
    Ultimate Guide for OnePlus TV U1 Series

I also got the opportunity to test the OnePlus TV 55U1 for a short period of time. If you are planning to buy the 55U1, do check out the Deep Dive and it’s Comparison with Q1 Series I made during my usage period.

The flash sale of the New TVs started from July 5th, but due to the COVID situation, the production and availability of the units have been affected resulting in very limited sales till now. Hopefully, the situation gets better soon.

Contest Time
    OnePlus TVs (Q and U Series) have a Screen Saver feature (Pictorial) where it displays the photos taken by OnePlus Phone users “Shot on OnePlus”. If you have a OnePlus phone and want to have pictures taken by you displayed as Screen Savers on all the OnePlus TVs for a period of time, check out this “Shot On OnePlus X OnePlus TV” contest. The theme keeps changing, so make sure to upload photos as per the particular week’s theme. I already submitted mine last week :D
    Screenshot_20200715-191306.jpg

Users who are looking to buy a OnePlus TV, the team has come up with this innovative idea of bringing the TV demo to your house with Augmented Reality. You can virtually place the New TVs at your place and see how they actually look. Just open oneplustv-homedemo.com on your phone’s chrome browser and face towards a flat surface or wall to see the magic happening. @Joel Jacob is also going to conduct a contest. So check the post and stay tuned for the contest. Here’s my Virtual Setup, I know that it’s not the best looking, but I am out of free space to test :D
    Screenshot_20200728-1152017.jpg

OTA Updates
    July has been the month of OTA updates. Not just the Q series, but the new TVs also received the OTA updates for the implementation of features and performance improvement.

As the Q1 and U1 share the same Software and Hardware (Except Display and Speakers), they share the updates too.
    Personally I can say, this OTA has been the best till now for the Q and U Series. It brought so many new features, UI tweaks and bug fixes.
    Read more about the OTA for Q1 and U1 series.

Y series on the other hand got the OTA1 for the implementation of Support for Connect App. The team has been closely monitoring the forums and coming up with the Tutorials for frequently faced issues. Kudos to that.
    Here are few tutorials for the Y series you can check out

How to use Connect App with Y Series
    How to Login to the OnePlus Account
    How to use Y series remote control

Change is Everything
    The biggest news of this month has to be the Hotstar Support for 4K content. Yes, you heard it right. Disney+ Hotstar started it’s first addition to the 4K titles, “Togo”. Ahh, I have been waiting long for them to add 4K titles. I really hope that they also change the existing Avengers Titles to 4K :D.
    Screenshot_20200729-192211.png

Finally the Google’s Backdrop screen saver (also known as Ambient mode) support showing Temperature info, Photo Location. And now you can use your Google Photos as Screen Saver. I have been waiting long for this feature. I would always prefer to have my personal pictures used as Screensaver and what better than having to choose from Google Photos where all my photos are available.
    Screenshot_20200730-214516.png
    For using this feature you have to change the Screen Saver as “Backdrop” in TV Settings< Personalize <Screen Saver and the settings for the customization can be accessed from the Google Home app on the phone as below,
    [​IMG]

As you might all have noticed, Android TV doesn’t have a dedicated Youtube Music App. I still can’t understand why. But, Youtube Music Users have good news now. Youtube Music has been introduced partially into the existing Youtube app. A new tab “Music” is added where you can listen to your liked songs and personalized playlists. The feature needs improvement though as it gets mixed up sometimes with non-music content too and also doesn’t support playback in the background. Hope to see those features implemented with upcoming updates.
    Screenshot_20200730-214906_LI.jpg
    Sony Liv has revamped it’s interface totally along with it’s Icon. But you have install the new app as the old one can't be updated. Head over to the Play Store and search for SonyLiv to download the new version. The new interface is more polished and reminds me of a fusion of Netflix and Hotstar.
    Screenshot_20200728-2007401.png
    Oxygen Play has introduced a new tab named “Upcoming” where it shows the upcoming movies and series on the partner OTT apps. User can set reminders to be notified when the Title is available. Though the feature needs some refinement, it’s a nice welcome and I hope to see Watchlist feature soon.
    [​IMG]

App of the Month
    Dashboard
    One feature that the OnePlus TV misses, is the ability to Turn Off TV Screen while playing music. Users who play a lot of music on their TVs would love to have this feature. Dashboard app not only provides that feature but also brings a modified app drawer screen where you have more features likes Recently used Apps, Shortcut to settings, Wifi Network etc. For it to work, after installing the app, click on the Dotted Icon beside APPS on Home Screen. It will ask if you want to use Home Launcher to DashBoard. Select Dashboard as always and you will be able to access Dashboard from same icon. If you want the default App drawer, you can always long-press the Home button. Do check out the app.
    [​IMG]
    That’s it for July’s edition. If you find any interesting feature or app related to Android TV, don’t forget to share. Will see you guys again in the next month’s update and hope to bring more exciting features to your notice.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020

2. Brahmania
    Donut Aug 1, 2020

Venky61 likes this.
  3. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Aug 1, 2020

Starcommander, deep0611 and Venky61 like this.
  4. razzor228
    Honeycomb Aug 1, 2020

razzor228 , Aug 1, 2020 :
    @Venky61 Yet another great monthly recap! This is a perfect way to catch up on all of the latest happenings for OnePlus TV's.

Aarav Sahni, Venky61 and Dresa91 like this.
  5. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Aug 1, 2020

Venky61 , Aug 1, 2020 :
    Thank you so much... It gives me pleasure to bring the info to the TV users :)

Thank you guys :D

Dresa91 likes this.
  6. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Aug 1, 2020

Dresa91 , Aug 1, 2020 :
    :)

Venky61 likes this.

Venky61 likes this.
  8. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Aug 2, 2020

Venky61 , Aug 2, 2020 :
    Yes... Very true... As I mentioned , COVID could be the reason. By the way, the pre-booking offer has been extended till Aug 31.. Not great news, but a relief.
    https://www.amazon.in/b?ie=UTF8&node=21640354031

N1593898202014 and Dresa91 like this.
  9. N1593898202014 , via OnePlus Community App , Aug 2, 2020 :
    Ya they have extended. Actually, there are many questions raising in my mind and I was confused by seeing that Oneplus U series tv was manufactured in Telangana state ( As I checked this in some amazon review photos) but it was undeliverable in our Telangana state also. On Pre-order sale it has shown that it was undeliverable to my location.
    Okay fine, they are selling 32 and 43inch tv what's wrong with U series tv. If they were unable to deliver the product then they can make a small announcement that this product is getting delayed, so people can clear their confusion.

10. VinayGollapudi
    Gingerbread Aug 6, 2020

12. VinayGollapudi
    Gingerbread Aug 7, 2020

VinayGollapudi , via OnePlus 6 , Aug 7, 2020 :
    Its 32 inch version. Yes, reported. That guy came and he is telling its common. Sometimes it happens when starting the TV. You can leave it for two days and see 🤦. Raised a complaint again need to see

13. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Aug 7, 2020

Venky61 , Aug 7, 2020 :
    That's really bad part from the service technician. A complain should be raised against for giving such stupid reasoning. Can you share your complaint ID with me via personal message.

14. DarshanMeniya
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 7, 2020

Venky61 likes this.
  15. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Aug 7, 2020

16. Optimus_Prime_07
    Honeycomb Aug 7, 2020

Optimus_Prime_07 , via OnePlus 3 , Aug 7, 2020 :
    Great details @Venky61 I am using U1 from about 3 Weeks all things are perfect and smooth [e]1f60a[/e]. Something while watching movies on OTT vocals are too low. Is this happening with all the TV, please help me for the same.

Venky61 likes this.
  17. G_Tarun_Saini_UWnP
    Cupcake Aug 7, 2020

G_Tarun_Saini_UWnP , via OnePlus 7 , Aug 7, 2020 :
    Is there any chance that OnePlus may release a update similiar to samsung q symphony . So we can take benifit of OnePlus speaker along with hdmi arc enable home theatre.

18. Alvinantoz
    Gingerbread Aug 8, 2020

Alvinantoz , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Aug 8, 2020 :
    Yes I too noticed this. Especially for the videos with Dolby sound support

19. NiyasAhamed
    Honeycomb Aug 8, 2020

20. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Aug 8, 2020

Venky61 , Aug 8, 2020 :
    Hey.. Thanks...
    Great to know that you are enjoying the experience.
    @Optimus_Prime_07 @Alvinantoz The reason is due to the downmixing of High Dynamic range audio provided by many OTT apps like Hotstar, Netflix and Prime to the stereo speakers. Netflix atleast provides an option to choose stereo tracks over 5.1, so do that as it will remove the downmixing effect at least. This is the problem with all smart TVs and the problem lies with the OTT apps on how they encode the tracks. I have a 5.1 surround system on pass through and still I get volume jumps. So it's not due to the TV but the source itself. I face the same even with Firestick. Some titles though have good mix of audio that do not give these jumps.

Hi,
    The team stated long back in the forums to this query that they are not planning on any such feature.
    PS: Please do not post the same query in multiple threads. It's not required.

Thank you :)

Optimus_Prime_07 likes this.