Monthly Round-Up for the OnePlus TV - June 2020

1. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Jul 1, 2020

Venky61 , Jul 1, 2020 :
    Header1.png

Hello Guys,

The growth in the sales of Android TV started increasing only recently. Due to the limited user base, the Android TV news doesn't hit the headlines on many sites and the news about App updates or new features made available for the Android TV gets unnoticed by most of the users. With the new OnePlus TVs launch around the corner and the user base likely to increase here, I realized why not to have a curated news/updates related to the OnePlus TV.

So, starting from this month, I will be bringing you a monthly round-up about some Interesting updates/news related to the OnePlus TV.

Welcome to the first Monthly Round-Up for OnePlus TV :)

New OnePlus TV Series
    First, let me start with the most exciting news. The launch of new OnePlus TVs is scheduled for July 2nd, 2020 and there have been many revelations from Pete and Carl regarding the TV's Display, Cost, Design etc.

New 1+TV.png

I don't know about you guys, but I am pretty excited to know what they are going to bring to the Mid-Range and Entry-level TV segments. To figure out what we can expect, let's list down the things we know/understand so far from the posts about the upcoming OnePlus TVs.
    • Two new series to be launched. One for Mid-Range and one for Entry Level
    • 95% screen-to-body ratio
    • 93% DCI-P3 color gamut coverage - Better Colors
    • Has Support for Dolby Vision - Dynamic Range
    • Dolby Audio
    • Different Screen Sizes
    • Ultra-Thin Design - 6.9mm
    • Two large full-range speakers - 50% Deeper Bass
    • Sports carbon fiber pattern at the back
    • Lowest models starting under 20k
    • Changed Stand Style
    • Affordable Prices - 1x,999, 2x,999 and 4x,999
    Not all the above points might be valid for both the new series to be launched. Some of them might be only exclusive for the Mid-Range one. But already the teased features seem to be pretty interesting for the price ranges :D

What according to you is the most exciting feature? As a Q1 Pro user, I can say that the 6.9mm thin design has intrigued me. Not that it's something new in the TV market but the fact that these will be available for affordable prices makes it more interesting. Do share your thoughts below about that.
    PS: My guess about the price - 32" FHD TV for 16,999/-, 43" FHD TV for 24,999/- and 50"/55" 4K TV for 46,999/- ;)

Also if you haven't read @Pete 's interview with Android Central about the OnePlus TVs, check that out here...He mentioned something about our Community's involvement in the TV's improvement.. Definitely sounds interesting :)

Better Audio Experience
    Speaker Groups: Google Home has a nifty little feature called "Speaker Groups" wherein you can add multiple Speakers (Google Supported) and cast/stream music simultaneously. With the latest update of Chromecast Built-in, Android TVs can also be added to the Speaker Groups. So if you have an Android TV in the hall and a Google Mini in the other end of the house, club them into a speaker group and listen to your favorite Spotify music or podcasts from both the devices. I really love this feature because now I can listen to the music out loud audile all around the house while doing the house chores.:D

Here's a small demo of how I created a Speaker Group on Google Home App with Google Mini, Android TV Box and the OnePlus TV placed in different rooms.

PS: The feature is in beta, so make sure to update Chromecast Built-in beta version on the TV. You can sign up for Beta here

Audio streaming in the background: Earlier if you were casting music from apps like Spotify/YTMusic/JioSaavn to the TV, there was no way to go to the home screen without interrupting the music playback. It's not a problem anymore. While casting music, you can go to Home Screen and navigate through the Android UI. The media control is displayed on the HomeScreen like this :)

Chromecast Audio.gif

Improved User Experience
    Channels on Home Screen: One thing I used to miss on the Android TV Home screen is the Channels for the OTT Apps I use frequently, especially Prime Video and Hotstar. Recently both got their own channels listed on the Android TV Home Screen. Though there are far from perfect, still it's a good start. Hope to see more customized channels like Watchlist, New on the App etc.
    PS: The channels keep disappearing occasionally and reappear after a while, the bug is from the App's side.

Screenshot_20200626-130631__01.png

Prime Video on Oxygen Play: If you are a user like me, who's always wondering about a single platform to search and stream all the OTT content, then Oxygen Play is the OnePlus's step towards it. In this month, we got the opportunity to see a dedicated page for Prime Video on Oxygen Play and it's content integration for easy search. This is a great boost for Oxygen Play as till now there were no big shots partnered. With this development, I hope that Disney+Hotstar and Netflix are also integrated ASAP for a wholesome experience on Oxygen Play.

Oxygen Play.jpg

Improved Prime Video Interface: I think we all would agree that the interface of Prime Video on Android TV is very messy and not so user friendly. Finally, now we have a modified interface which is very similar to what we saw in Fire Stick. Search and Playback UI have taken a major transformation and for good. Forward/backward action on prime video is no more pain. Single tap side buttons for 10 sec seek and long press for a faster jump. Thank you Amazon for listening to the users after billion years :p
    PS: Right now there's no info about the video quality on title pages nor during playback. Hope that is resolved soon.

123.jpg

ScreenMirroring for IOS Devices: OnePlus partnered with Airscreen to bring the Screen Mirroring feature to the IOS users with the last update (OTA4). Check out this tutorial to know more.

Iphone Screen.png

IOS Connect App: Though there is no OnePlus connect app yet for IOS devices, the latest post by the OnePlus team on social media teases about its arrival soon. :D

upload_2020-7-1_11-28-41.png

Airtel Xstream: Even the Airtel Xstream has hit the Android TV play store this month. So users can enjoy their wide movie library directly from Android TV. Sadly it needs an extra subscription for users who don't have Airtel Xstream Stick/DTH or Airtel Broadband. The App misses content from a couple of partners like Zee5, Lionsgate which are otherwise available on browser/mobile platform.

Screenshot_20200627-115450.png

Android TV OS
    News about Google's new Streaming device "Sabrina" is making rounds on the internet and in relation to that device, there were glimpses of new Android TV Interface focusing more on the Aggregated Content presentation on the Home Screen and New Google Assitant Interface. If this is true, finally we would get to see some changes to the present interface. Read more details about it here

Google also released Android TV 11 Developer Build for testing. Do remember that the Android TVs existing in the market are still on Android 9 and we don't know if the TVs will get an update with Android 10 during Sabrina's launch time or a direct jump to Android 11. We have to wait for some more time to know about that.

App of the Month

Nebula Manager: If you generally sideload apps on your Android TV, you might be knowing that the App Drawer doesn't show those apps. Nebula manager gives a way to bring those app icons directly to the home screen as Channels which is very helpful to quickly access those apps. Do check it out :)

Screenshot_20200701-114348.png

I hope the post sums up all the activities for this month. Let me know your suggestions and views about the Monthly Round-Up. Cheers and Let's grab PopCorn for tomorrow's OnePlus TV Launch event :D

Thanks to @Shivang Joshi @Starcommander @B_Wrath for their inputs for the Header Image and @Lavin A. for the font :)

Last but not least, please join me in wishing good luck to the TV team @Todd W. @Kevin Lgh @Sophie Z. @Sarah P. @Rick Y. for the upcoming launch.
    Save this link for the Online Launch Event

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020

2. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Jul 2, 2020

Stickied Post
    Venky61 , Jul 2, 2020 :
    Hey Guys,

Finally, the new OnePlus TVs are launched and here are some details about all the models.

The Mid-Range Segment is called OnePlus U Series and it's a 55" 4K TV available for 49,999/-
    Here are some specifications of the 55U1 model
    WhatsApp Image 2020-07-02 at 20.42.119.jpeg
    The OnePlus TV Y series has 2 different sizes of 32" and 43". The 32" TV comes with 1366 x 768 resolution priced at 12,999/- and the 43" TV comes with 1920 x 1080 resolution priced at 22,999/-. Except for the size and resolution, the other specifications might remain the same.
    Here are some specification of the Y series
    WhatsApp Image 2020-07-02 at 20.42.118.jpeg

Along with the news about the new TVs, some new features that will be released with U and Y series and also be pushed to Q series through OTA5 have been discussed.

Dedicated Kids Mode - for restricted content viewing with control over watch time and apps to display.
    WhatsApp Image 2020-07-02 at 20.42.1191.jpeg

Data Saver Plus - for having details monitoring of data usage with alerts and also bandwidth control for users who will be streaming through limited data or mobile hotspot.
    WhatsApp Image 2020-07-02 at 20.42.12129.jpeg
    Shared Album - for sharing your picture remotely to TV through the cloud for your family to view them directly on the TV. But this feature will be exclusive to OnePlus 7 and above.
    WhatsApp Image 2020-07-02 at 20.42.19121.jpeg

What was your reaction to the launch event and prices? I personally was expecting a 43" 4K TV. The 32" HD TV seems a great deal for the price if you are looking for one in that price range.

The sale will start from 5th of July on Amazon for selected models and the will soon hit the offline stores too
    WhatsApp Image 2020-07-02 at 20.42.128.jpeg

Welcome the new U and Y series to the family :D
    WhatsApp Image 2020-07-02 at 20.42.19.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020

3. Batman360
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Jul 1, 2020

Batman360 , Jul 1, 2020 :
    Nicely done @Venky61 🔥😎
    Really excited for tomorrow launch, hope your guess comes true🤞😉
    Thanks for suggesting app of the month, will try for sure!!
    Also this was a mandate feature 😄
    And a question:
    I have a airtel sim, so xstream app is free, will that free service apply for the tv xstream app too? 🤔

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020

4. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Jul 1, 2020

Venky61 , Jul 1, 2020 :
    Thank you... Glad you could find some useful content :)

What's your guess ;)

Sadly no... Airtel confirmed that the App on Android TV is free only for Airtel Broadband/Xstream Box consumers and the users like us who have airtel sim and free access to Airtel Xstream on mobile/browser have to take an extra subscription. I am happy with accessing through the browser from TV right now as I need it only for movies that too very rarely. For live TV viewers it's a downside.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020

5. Batman360
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Jul 1, 2020

Batman360 , Jul 1, 2020 :
    First of all damn my typos😂
    15999, 21999, 41999 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Ahh!! Okay, thanks for clearing that out, but admist all the streaming apps, I guess there would be some handful of people who would use XStream app on TV. I rarely use it on phone, like when Modiji's speech is coming up😄

6. I1579671811380 , via OnePlus Community App , Jul 1, 2020 :
    @Venky61 thank you so much for starting this monthly round up. It is indeed very helpful. I totally agree with you that Android TV news does not get covered extensively on various portals. We have to keep checking various blogs/posts for any new updates on it. Recently only I was wondering that Android 11 is gonna come on phones and my TV is still on Android 9, your post has given me some clarity over the issue. Thanks for all the efforts taken by you and other OnePlus community members.

7. Venky61

Venky61 , Jul 2, 2020 :
    Lol.. I was wondering the same..... I figured it's the sleep hitting you hard :p
    Yea... there are very few users for that platform

Most welcome and happy that you like the concept of monthly round-up :)
    And yea, it's high time that Google updates the interface or at least the version.

8. Styler_sd
    Froyo Jul 2, 2020

Styler_sd , Jul 2, 2020 :
    I'm very excited about OnePlus TV launch Today.

And thanks @Venky61 for monthly round-up for the June.

Also, I loved these new features especially few of them.

• Speaker Groups
    • Audio streaming in the background

(Both of the audio features are very useful and this will make our experience better.)

• Prime Video on oxygen play
    • improved Prime video user interface
    • Screen mirroring for iOS user
    • iOS OnePlus Connect App

(Now we can use Screen mirroring and OnePlus Connect App from iOS devices as well we don't need to have Android phones to use these great features)

OnePlus team is working very hard to bring us more features and making our experience to the next level and I love this thing about OnePlus.

And as per me, the price is going to be for today launch.

14,999 | 21,999 | 41,999

Bouncer71 and Venky61 like this.
  9. Venky61

Venky61 , Jul 2, 2020 :
    Thanks for the read... Today's gonna be very exciting :)
    And if your guess prices gonna be right, then it will be a great deal ;)

Bouncer71, Batman360 and Dresa91 like this.
  10. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Jul 2, 2020

Dresa91 , Jul 2, 2020 :
    Wow, nice work @Venky61 :)
    It is great to see such monthly recap :) thank you :)
    Let's wait for the launch today and see, if we can buy a TV in Europe too:)

11. Venky61

Venky61 , Jul 2, 2020 :
    Thanks a lot @Dresa91 :) Indeed the previous month had so many activities/updates and I am expecting more this month as there might be new features launched with the new TVs :D
    Europe has been waiting for long ;)

12. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Jul 2, 2020 :
    oh great to hear:)

for long? too long :p :D

13. Venky61

Batman360, Bouncer71 and Dresa91 like this.
  14. Dresa91

Batman360, Bouncer71 and Venky61 like this.
  15. Styler_sd
    Froyo Jul 2, 2020

Styler_sd , via OnePlus 7T , Jul 2, 2020 :
    it would be great if we are going to have these price. Its gonna kill existing companies who are available in budget segment TV's.

Venky61 likes this.
  16. Y1577375938804
    Cupcake Jul 2, 2020

17. Venky61

Venky61 , Jul 2, 2020 :
    No official information about the TV's launch in other countries yet.
    Tune in to the launch event tonight to know about that

Batman360, Dresa91 and Y1577375938804 like this.
  18. Y1577375938804
    Cupcake Jul 2, 2020

Y1577375938804 , via OnePlus 6T , Jul 2, 2020 :
    Will do thanks! Great TV!

Dresa91 and Venky61 like this.
  19. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Jul 2, 2020 :

SRD., Batman360 and Venky61 like this.
  20. SRD.
    Lollipop Jul 2, 2020

SRD. , via OnePlus 7T , Jul 2, 2020 :
    Everything about the TV is great, exvept one - 2x10W sound output. Now a days basic TVs comes with 35W stereo speakers.

Venky61 likes this.
  21. Thavamuni
    Eclair Jul 2, 2020

Venky61 likes this.