Moto Z Play Review

1. funmunke
    Marshmallow Jan 3, 2017

funmunke , Jan 3, 2017 :
    Most people look at smartphones and focus in on the specs. If a phone doesn’t have the biggest / fastest specs, it’s eliminated from being considered as a top phone. After all, weaker specs can’t possibly result in a better phone, can it?

The Moto Z Play looks like garbage on paper. After all the beast of the moderate budget phones, the OnePlus 3T, demolishes the Play in hardware and benchmarks. How dare anyone even mention those two phones in the same sentence? Sacrilege!

The Moto Z Play matches the 3T in one area – the screen. Both come in at 1080p. That being said, the Play actually looks a little better. It seems crisper than the 3T. A lot of people like to complain about the 3Ts screen, but the vast majority like it. I’d count it as a good screen. The fact that the Play beats it, is impressive.

Hardware wise, the 3T kills the Play. The play is only backing 3gb of RAM, it only packs 32gb of storage, and it only has a Snapdragon 625. What garbage, right?

Well…the Play does have a micro SD card so for the same money you can actually get a lot more storage in the Play (128gb 3T vs. Play with a 200gb micro sd card).

The camera on these phones is actually a draw. Neither are fantastic. They both make you wish you were using an iPhone, S7, G5, or even an HTC 10.

One thing the Moto Z Play has, is Moto mods. I’ll get into these later, but they are worth mentioning.

How does this phone perform? In reality, benchmarks are mostly useless. We don’t use our phones in the same way that benchmarks test them. They might give you an idea of how fast an app is going to open or how demanding of a game it can run, but that’s about it. The vast minority of people are impacted in that way.

The Moto Z Play actually passes the FTT (Funmunke Torture Test). It heats up but it handles that test just fine. That amazed me. It did as good a job as the 3T did.

Overall the phone is quick, snappy, never has lag and has never crashed on me. That’s much more than I can say about the 3T.

You can’t talk about performance without talking about battery life. The 3T has good battery life. The Play has unbelievable battery life. I’ve never used a phone that does better when it comes to battery life. It truly stunned me. It’s an area where the weaker hardware really benefits the phone.

How good is it? Overnight, a 3T with a full charge loses about 15 to 20% of its charge. The Play loses about 3 to 5%. The play is only 300mah bigger. That’s insane. I’ve woken up to find my battery at 97%.

I did another test. I took it off the charger and streamed music via Bluetooth for 45min. Guess what the battery was at after that? 100%. Not a joke. I don’t know how, but it was.

The battery life is also benefited by Plays software. It’s basically straight Android. A number of makers (like OnePlus) like to say they are close to pure Android. Not when compared to the Play. The only addons are very useful addons. Motion launch gestures for the camera and flashlight (a lot better than what OnePlus uses in Oxygen) and a notification screen. That screen is incredible. It allows you to see your notifications, without turning on the screen. It allows you do that by simply waiving at the phone. This too helps boost the battery life.

We can’t go much further without talking about the Moto Mods. For the most part you are going to pay a crap ton of money for a gimmick. Seriously, how many people are going to use a portable projector enough to justify the price? How many people want to turn their phone into basic speaker, when most of them already own some really nice BT speakers? That leaves us two mods.

The True Zoom mod is a GROSSLY overpriced mod. You can get an EXCELLENT point and shoot camera for less than the $250 Lenovo is charging for this thing. For $250 (I got my play for just $100 more) you get a few controls and a 10X optical zoom. That’s it. The quality isn’t really much better. Low light performance is actually worse and your megapixels drop down to 12. The 10X zoom is really handy and can help you to capture shots you otherwise couldn’t. But is that worth $250?

NO! If you are into photography to the point that you’re spending $250, your money is going into something much better than the True Zoom. This mod would only be worth it at a $100 price point. Maybe some would find value at a $150 price point.

To put this simply – I take a lot of photos. The idea of this mod really appeals to me. I returned this mod after a day. I found it to be a terrible value.

There is one mod that makes Moto Mods worth it. The Wireless Charging Power Pack. Without adding much bulk, you add enough juice to get you through days, without needing to find a charger. On top of that, it adds functionality that a lot of flagships do not offer – you get wireless charging. You can get this mod for as little as $60. That’s a bargain. This mod is incredible. It’s the best mod I’ve ever seen in a phone. It easily crushes anything you’ll find in the G5.

The last thing I’ll cover is build. The build is amazing. It rivals the 3T. It feels premium. The only drawback is all the glass, it’s very prone to scratching. If you don’t get the power pack mod, you’ll want to always keep a case or back snap on cover on this thing. If you took out the 3T, this would have the best build in this price range.

Overall the Moto Z Play manages to provide a value far above its price. I would honestly recommend this phone above the 3T for the average user. I’d only recommend the 3T over this for extreme power users who love to tinker. If that’s not you, buy this phone.

2. funmunke
    Marshmallow Jan 3, 2017

funmunke , Jan 3, 2017 :
    There is one annoyance I did not mention.

While this phone has one of the best fingerprint readers I've ever used, it's under used.

Instead of letting it act as a home button, it's only used to lock and unlock the phone. There have been times I've locked my phone because I've hit the reader instead of the on screen button.

meatandy and pa5t1s like this.
  3. Helbro
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 3, 2017

Helbro , Jan 3, 2017 :
    lol what a joke...

1. The screen on the play beats the screen of the 3T? Why? Because you like it more? Well, thats just an opinion...

2. Micro SD Card Slot. Ok, thats neat, but no SD Card can keep up with the speed of integrated storage of UFS2.0 and I think 128gb are plenty enough.

3. The cameras are a draw. Well thats your opinion again. Needles to explain again...

4. System performance better on Play. lol. That joke was amazing to read.

5. 3T looses 15-20% battery over night. lol again. You must be kidding. Even my OP3 only looses 3-4% battery over night. Your are talking totally BS when you think that the Play will not loose even 1% battery if you use it for music streaming over Bluetooth...

6. Moto mods - Gimmicks not more, not less.

7. Software of both phones are near stock so there is not a huge difference.

8. Build quality goes to 3T by far... Better materials and craftmanship.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017

4. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Jan 3, 2017

dsmonteiro , Jan 3, 2017 :
    I was checking for a new phone for my girlfriend, as she was having some issues with the OnePlus One and I checked Moto Z Play as an option.

But at almost the same price the OnePlus 3T, I can't really recommend it. Ended up getting her the Moto G4 Plus instead. Seems like it was a really nice purchase but time will tell.

Screen is great, camera performs well for the price range, it has the same fingerprint sensor (with the same limitation) and it's snappy, while costing half what the Z Play costs.

5. Mr. BG
    Marshmallow Jan 3, 2017

Mr. BG , Jan 3, 2017 :
    Great review Munkeh!

Basically, if you don't need all the horsepower you can get you're better off with the Moto.

Which counts for most of us mere mortals I guess.

6. dsmonteiro

It has a higher sub-pixel density so what @funmunke said is true, it is crisper. Even Moto G4's screen rivals with the 3T.

Aren't reviews mostly based on opinions?

Having tried the Moto G4, which has a far less powerful SoC and less RAM, I have no trouble believing this. Motorola's oftware is very well optimized.

My OP3 also loses a lot of battery overnight. So, while your experience might be different, @funmunke is comparing his/her experience with both devices, so it's far more accurate than comparing you OP3 experience with his/her Moto Z Play experience.

So, when it's @funmunke's opinions it's crap, but your opinion is golden? Why are Moto Mods gimmicks? Lenovo is even saying more mods will come in the upcoming months, even a Google Tango mod is rumored.

This might've been true one year ago. Now, OnePlus has far more customization built into its software than Lenovo has.

Haven't tried Z Play so can't compare. Have you?

7. funmunke
    Marshmallow Jan 3, 2017

funmunke , Jan 3, 2017 :
    What is a phone review - an opinion.

My OP3T loses 15 to 20% over eight hours at night.

I love how you are willing to troll someone for their opinion when you have no evidence negate what the person said.

8. funmunke
    Marshmallow Jan 3, 2017

funmunke , Jan 3, 2017 :
    I was lucky to get one at $350. You're really paying the extra for the build, the battery, and the mod ability. The G4 Plus is a great phone for the money.

meatandy and pa5t1s like this.
  9. dsmonteiro

Even at $350, it's a hard sell for me, especially because Custom ROMs are a big thing for me, and that would mean losing the Moto Mod functionality. I also don't really like its looks.

meatandy and funmunke like this.
  10. funmunke
    Marshmallow Jan 3, 2017

funmunke , Jan 3, 2017 :
    Yeah if you want custom mods, it's the OP3T all the way.

meatandy likes this.
  11. JasonMR
    Lollipop Jan 3, 2017

JasonMR , Jan 3, 2017 :
    It really shouldn't lose that much, my OP3 only loses a maximum of 3% overnight, sounds like something is keeping it awake.

Nice review though :)

12. Helbro

Helbro , Jan 3, 2017 :
    @dsmonteiro

It has a higher sub-pixel density so what @funmunke said is true, it is crisper. Even Moto G4's screen rivals with the 3T.

Yeah so higher density always means "better"? Seems legit... :rolleyes:

Aren't reviews mostly based on opinions?

Yes, but on unbiased ones...

Having tried the Moto G4, which has a far less powerful SoC and less RAM, I have no trouble believing this. Motorola's oftware is very well optimized.

I have no problems or lag with OOS. I dont know how that could be much better optimized. Just for my personal use. Yours can differ.

My OP3 also loses a lot of battery overnight. So, while your experience might be different, @funmunke is comparing his/her experience with both devices, so it's far more accurate than comparing you OP3 experience with his/her Moto Z Play experience.

What are you talking? So because he did something wrong and ****** up his phone so its laggy and using a lot of battery is better hugh? I think you both probably dont know how to properly set up your phones... :rolleyes:

So, when ins @funmunke's opinions it's crap, but your opinion is golden? Why are Moto Mods gimmicks? Lenovo is even saying more mods will come in the upcoming months, even a Google Tango mod is rumored.

lol he did say that they are gimmicks by Itself... I didnt say that this gimmicks are crap, just that they are gimmicks.

This might've been true one year ago. Now, OnePlus has far more customization built into its software than Lenovo has.

And thats bad? lol.

Haven't tried Z Play so can't compare. Have you?

Yes I did.

13. Helbro

Helbro , Jan 3, 2017 :
    Why am I trolling? You are just a total joke if you think my opinion has no weight because its against yours.

Please stop quoting me Im out of this useless thread.

Have a nice day!

funmunke likes this.
  14. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jan 3, 2017

theshinybeast , Jan 3, 2017 :
    Fanboy:p Great review my good man

meatandy and funmunke like this.
  15. funmunke
    Marshmallow Jan 3, 2017

funmunke , Jan 3, 2017 :
    [​IMG]

TheDiv23 and meatandy like this.
  16. funmunke
    Marshmallow Jan 3, 2017

funmunke , Jan 3, 2017 :
    Far from it. I've only owned two Motos ever. I have an OPO and OP3T, but also owned the OP3 and OP2. If I'm a fan boy, it's on the OnePlus side.

meatandy and theshinybeast like this.
  17. funmunke
    Marshmallow Jan 3, 2017

funmunke , Jan 3, 2017 :
    I've done no tweaking or modding of my OP3T. It's stock and I don't use any oddball apps. From day one it's suffered that kind of battery drain.

meatandy and sfomin like this.
  18. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jan 3, 2017

theshinybeast , Jan 3, 2017 :
    I know;):rolleyes:

meatandy, dsmonteiro and funmunke like this.
  19. dsmonteiro

Did I say it's better? I said it's crisper than OnePlus 3T's, and that's a fact, not subject to interpretation. As for being better or not, that might be debatable but why is that your opinion is more valid than @funmunke's?

And yours is unbiased because...?

Exactly. Different uses cause different experiences. You don't have any lags. Doesn't mean other don't as well. In fact, there are people complaining about them on the forums.

But that only affected one of the phones...lol Yeah, right.
    Or maybe it's you that thinks that you know more than everyone else just because ignorance is bliss. :rolleyes:
    Or a more plausible reason is that, as said above, different uses cause different experiences. Many things affect battery life, so again, why does your experience prevails over everyone else's?

Not saying it's good or bad, just saying that you're statement that OnePlus 3T's software is near stock is false.

Funny you should say that because you are the one doing it regarding other people's opinions.

So, tl;dr: Your opinion is better than everyone else's. You are unbiased. Others are biased. You know better than everyone else. Gotcha.

You sure you're not Trump?

20. funmunke
    Marshmallow Jan 3, 2017

funmunke , Jan 3, 2017 :
    I've never run into lag on the 3T, but it has crashed on my twice. I would like to know why the battery life can be so drastically different when both cases are stock.

meatandy likes this.