Motor bike OPO holder!

1. knorkerGünther
    Gingerbread Feb 2, 2015

knorkerGünther , Feb 2, 2015 :
    Hi,

I would like to buy a mobile phone motor bike retainer for the OPO. Are there any specific ones available or are there just "bags" that are for phones about the size of the OPO?
    Can anyone recommend one and would a mounting system for a mountain bike be appropriate/sufficient for a motor bike?

Thanks,
    knorkerGünther

2. towe96
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 2, 2015

towe96 , Feb 2, 2015 :
    I'm using a Minoura mount, ICH-100S.

It's a tight fit, but it holds the OPO very nice and firm.

As I only ride when it's not raining (heavily), I don't care about water protection.
    It's great for use as a satnav and / or camera.

Edit: Yeah, a mountainbike mount should suffice. At least unless you're driving motor cross or something.

3. Montucky

Montucky , Feb 2, 2015 :
    What kind of bike are you putting it on? If you are running a KTM, it will cost you to find one that will secure your phone while launching or the vibrations created from a harley or the wind speed of an R1.

If you are using a moped, the cheap 30 dollar bicycle mounts will work.

Enduro mounts for GPS and other tablets work awesome at full speed with full shock but they will cost you.

4. Montucky

Montucky , Feb 2, 2015 :

you be welcome

XGUESS likes this.
  5. knorkerGünther
    Gingerbread Feb 2, 2015

knorkerGünther , Feb 2, 2015 :
    Thanks for the answers. The bike I ride is a KTM Duke 125. So there is no real wind shield.
    @towe96 I would prefer something waterproof but this seems pretty good. I will keep an eye on that.
    @Montucky The phone mount in the video is for Moto Cross which doesn't apply to me but thank you!

I am still wondering if getting a real navigation system is smarter than a phone mount...

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

6. towe96

towe96 , Feb 2, 2015 :
    As a "real navigation system" doesn't allow for active speed camera warnings, it was never an option for me (at least in my car, in which I use a phone mount as well).

7. Montucky

Montucky , Feb 2, 2015 :
    The video is a demonstration of how durable the phone mounting system is. Nobody in their right mind would put a smart phone on a motor cross bike and expect the electronics to last very long. It is just an example of what kind of force the mounting system will handle.

If you take the time to educate yourself on the different mounting systems from RAM and how to apply them to your bike, you will see they have pretty much every corner of the powersports industry covered. Also, this is only one of their products. They are developed by riders and professionals, not concepts produced cheaply by the millions and found at a discount on ebay.

If you are a real rider, you need a real mount. Not something made for a kids bicycle. The KTM duke is a cool little naked road bike that will produce wind, g force and lots of vibration from your inverted forks. Go ahead and put a cheap one on your nice bike and see how long your mount lasts.

As far as putting a garmin on your bike, you probably don't really need it unless you are one of the crazy people who tour on little bikes! The displays on navigation systems are lower resolution but much higher contrast and brightness with pressure sensitive screens that work with your leathers and in the rain. Smart phones are pretty much limited on the construction that will take the constant vibration and g forces exerted on the case by your bike. Sensors and all sorts of things start to fall apart on phones when mounted without some form of good dampening system.

I take my riding gloves and saturate them in water on the index finger, then apply graphite lubricant dust on the interior and exterior of the index finger's print. It will create enough conductivity to allow operation of your phone without taking off your gloves or settling for a pair of fashion gloves with capacitive pads sewn in.

Good luck riding and be safe.

8. Montucky

9. BAlGaInTl
    Donut Feb 3, 2015

BAlGaInTl , Feb 3, 2015 :
    I use the Ram X-grip on my motorcycle. It works great.

Currently using it with a Nexus 4, but I will soon have my OPO and will use it for that too.

10. williamhaven
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 3, 2015

williamhaven , Feb 3, 2015 :
    I own a single cylinder KTM LC4. Tet me tell you, these bikes shake like crazy! So far i been afraid to try one of those holders. But it would be sweet!
    10469693_10153294532866808_3955545521300439474_n.jpg

11. phantera65
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 16, 2015