Motorola Surfboard SB6141 Cable Modem: Any one of you using this?

1. rphlfjrd
    Lollipop Aug 22, 2015

rphlfjrd , Aug 22, 2015 :
    Hi. So my father wants to buy a new modem since he doesn't want to pay the rental fee of Time Warner anymore. We were at NEX (Navy Exchange) a while ago and he said he was looking at this particular modem for a while now. Personally I really don't know how it performs but since I'm the tech-savvy guy in our family, I automatically become tech support for everything. *sigh*

If ever anyone owns this, how is it compared to stock modem provided by ISPs? Also, are there any set up required prior to using it or is it plug-and-play? I really have little knowledge about networks and stuff like this.

Thanks. :)

2. rphlfjrd
    Lollipop Aug 22, 2015

3. yahiroz
    Jelly Bean Aug 22, 2015

yahiroz , Aug 22, 2015 :
    Sadly I would help but I only know about modems and routers suited for the UK networks. The only cable internet provider in the UK is Virgin Media, and they block any 3rd party modems, only allowing the Virgin Super Hub to work with their services. The other UK networks allow 3rd party modems but they use a DSL connection (including FTTC connections) instead of cable.

rphlfjrd likes this.
  4. jizang
    Lollipop Aug 22, 2015

5. yahiroz
    Jelly Bean Aug 22, 2015

yahiroz , Aug 22, 2015 :
    That's a router, not a modem. Although I do agree it's an awesome router, currently using it with my home connection.

6. jizang
    Lollipop Aug 22, 2015

jizang , Aug 22, 2015 :
    you can use 3rd part routers with virgin

7. Marijuanainc
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 22, 2015

Marijuanainc , Aug 22, 2015 :
    I use it and the modem is quite stable. Just don't get the one with the router included because the brouter does not work well. I get 100mbps with twc in my area so its unbelievable

rphlfjrd likes this.
  8. jizang
    Lollipop Aug 22, 2015

jizang , Aug 22, 2015 :
    you can still use it with the cable modem

9. yahiroz
    Jelly Bean Aug 22, 2015

yahiroz , Aug 22, 2015 :
    I'm talking about the modem part though, not the router side. Modem =/= routers, even if most products contain both. @rphlfjrd is looking for a cable modem, not a router.

rphlfjrd likes this.
  10. psx
    Gingerbread Aug 22, 2015

psx , Aug 22, 2015 :
    They do allow you to use third party modems, when you put it into "modem only mode", I use a Cisco EA4500 on Virgin Media

11. yahiroz
    Jelly Bean Aug 22, 2015

yahiroz , Aug 22, 2015 :
    They allow 3rd party routers, which is different from a modem.

A modem is the part that deals with your internet connection. This is the part Virgin does not allow you to change.

A router is the part that deals with your internal network, where all your local PCs and are devices are connected to. This is what the Virgin SH disables when you place it into modem mode.

rphlfjrd likes this.
  12. rphlfjrd
    Lollipop Aug 22, 2015

We have a Cisco Router. Looking to change it as well after since I think old modems and routers are bottleneck-ing our internet connection. We rarely hard-wire our electronics and we can't take advantage of our 100mbps connection. (Only our PS3 is hard-wired. :p)

13. yahiroz
    Jelly Bean Aug 22, 2015

yahiroz , Aug 22, 2015 :
    Well for the router side of things it depends on how much you want to spend. The Asus RT-N66U is a good router at a reasonable price, but if you can spend the extra the RT-AC68U offers better wifi in terms of speed and range. Bare in mind your devices will need support for 5GHz wireless n/ac to take advantage of the speed boost, but it's well worth it.

Does Time Warner have a community forum you can perhaps ask what a good modem is?

14. rphlfjrd
    Lollipop Aug 22, 2015

I don't really know hahaha I'm just new here in our area. Originally from another country where internet connections are different. Though I'll be getting the Surfboard next week, already read many positive reviews. :)

15. yahiroz
    Jelly Bean Aug 23, 2015

rphlfjrd likes this.
  16. gmo8492
    Lollipop Aug 23, 2015

gmo8492 , Aug 23, 2015 :
    I have TWC and precisely using a Moto Surfboard with my service. I had to call their customer support and provide the serial number so they can whitelist the device as mine and not the theirs. Reduced my bill and I only pay for the service.

rphlfjrd likes this.
  17. sharolynvicente
    Froyo Aug 23, 2015

sharolynvicente , Aug 23, 2015 :
    I just bought that kind of modem. It improved way beyond speed from the modem given by Xfinity (which sucks sometimes) but I also bought TP-Link router and my speed increased double. This morning something went wrong since I couldn't connect to WiFi. But I found out it was the router problem. So good modem in my opinion

rphlfjrd likes this.
  18. sharolynvicente
    Froyo Aug 23, 2015

sharolynvicente , Aug 23, 2015 :
    Also I just had to plug it in and it should usually work right away, but if not you should call your ISP and let them zap it on.

rphlfjrd likes this.
  19. rphlfjrd
    Lollipop Aug 23, 2015

gmo8492 likes this.
  20. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Aug 23, 2015

rphlfjrd likes this.