MrBeast : Jimmy Donaldson redefines "influencer"

1. McJader
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9RT 5G Writers' Club Jan 15, 2022

McJader , Jan 15, 2022 :
    Mr Beast.gif

MrBeast
    . If you've been on the Internet over the past couple of years, chances are, you've heard of him. Wikipedia defines him as "an American YouTuber, Internet personality, businessman, and philanthropist". If someone from 2010 traveled into the future and read this, I can only imagine their confusion at the words "YouTuber" and "Internet personality" before Businessman and Philanthropist. But such is the world we live in.

Anyways, I'm not here to talk about that, I'm here to talk about the man who has revolutionized YouTube in recent times. Let’s discuss a bit about who MrBeast is and what he does. Spoiler Alert: It’s quite a journey.

MrBeast : Beginnings

In Feb 2012, 12-year old Jimmy uploaded his first video about Minecraft. What followed were several other Minecraft and other gameplay videos. Nothing special, right? His channel, originally named MrBeast6000 was also named “That-dude” somewhere in 2013. He had 240 subscribers then.

Around late 2015-2016 is when Donaldson started getting something of a hefty subscriber count, with over 30000 subscribers in mid-2016. People liked his commentary videos, it seemed. Jimmy even dropped out of college in late 2016 to pursue being a full-time YouTuber, and naturally, his mother wasn’t thrilled, asking him to move out of their house. Then came the breakthrough for Jimmy.

The Rise of MrBeast

And not surprisingly, it came in the form of a ridiculous video. He uploaded a video of him counting to 100,000 manually, one by one. Crazy and a bit…stupid, no? As the world would soon realize, this was just a teaser for even more ridiculous stunts that followed. From being buried alive for 50 hours, to buying up entire GameStop stores, to making his own version of the Netflix series Squid Game, MrBeast has done it all.

maxresdefault.jpg
    The thumbnail of his Squid Game video

But what can also be seen in almost every video of his, is him giving away huge sums of money. Whether it be gifting a house to the guy who delivered his pizza, or giving away $456,000 in the recent Squid Game video, Donaldson hasn't shied away.

MrBeast, in a recent interview with Marques Brownlee, said almost everything he earns from YouTube gets invested into making even bigger and better videos. While all this may seem bizarre to the uninitiated, these videos are hugely popular, garnering over millions of views on YouTube.

What We Can Learn

mr-beast-team-seas.jpg
    Via Dextro

As you can see from the replies to this thread by my friend @PritishPriyam, people simply don't trust or respect most influencers these days and, in this world of fake social-media influencers selling you products in exchange of huge sums of money, MrBeast is a breath of fresh air. He redefines “influence” and “influencer”, having raised millions of dollars for planting trees, or cleaning the ocean for that matter.
    Not only that, his philanthropy videos are something that might make you smile. It is strangely empowering to see someone with influence use it for good work, and to do it while creating content that would sponsor his next videos is, to me, genius. You might not like his style, but you can't help but appreciate the awesome work he has done. His videos can inspire generations to come, about giving back, and that too while having fun.

I personally do hope he can continue to do what he does best - Giving back! That's it, thanks for reading this rather unconventional thread. Please do share your opinion about him and, naturally, your favorite videos, if you have any.

2. haildarkseid
    Gingerbread Jan 15, 2022

3. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Community Expert Jan 15, 2022

Dresa91 , Jan 15, 2022 :
    I like his videos :)
    This is really cool:

I love this video:)

But this is also funny:

And this is cool:

And I like his „events“ like

:)

philos64, atenaa, RacerZ and 6 others like this.
  4. McJader

McJader , Jan 15, 2022 :
    Wow, thanks for sharing!

5. Dresa91

6. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Jan 15, 2022

luigimario , Jan 15, 2022 :
    That squid game was crazy! I wonder how much it cost to recreate all the sets like that!

philos64, atenaa, RacerZ and 3 others like this.
  7. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Jan 15, 2022 :
    Yes, this was really crazy:D

atenaa, RacerZ and Bobbie63 like this.
  8. Caomhin
    9 Series Expert, Participator of the Year Community Expert Jan 15, 2022

Caomhin , Jan 15, 2022 :
    Only read a news article on this Mr Beast yesterday, never heard of him before, you can tell am an old fogie who doesn't watch YouTube.
    Turns out he's the highest paid Youtuber for 2021.
    Didnt realise he's only a kid at 20 or so. Even has his own Fast food franchise. Good luck to him. 👍
    Excellent article @McJader, extremely well written, well done 💪

Harvin_Dave, philos64, atenaa and 5 others like this.
  9. McJader

McJader , Jan 15, 2022 :
    Thanks for reading, he's a very interesting;) individual

philos64, atenaa, RacerZ and 2 others like this.
  10. Dhruv Kashyap
    Jelly Bean Jan 15, 2022

philos64, atenaa, RacerZ and 4 others like this.
  11. SRD.
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9RT 5G Jan 15, 2022

SRD. , Jan 15, 2022 :
    That defines him perfectly.

12. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Jan 15, 2022

13. Navdeep_Malik
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus TV U1S Writers' Club Jan 15, 2022

14. rohitanand
    KitKat Writers' Club Jan 15, 2022

rohitanand , Jan 15, 2022 :
    Thanks man.

philos64, atenaa, RacerZ and 5 others like this.
  15. SRD.
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9RT 5G Jan 15, 2022

SRD. , Jan 15, 2022 :
    You are doing an amazing job with the headers dear Rohit.

philos64, atenaa, RacerZ and 5 others like this.
  16. rohitanand
    KitKat Writers' Club Jan 15, 2022

rohitanand , Jan 15, 2022 :
    Thank you for your kind words my friend.

philos64, atenaa, McJader and 4 others like this.
  17. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Community Expert Jan 15, 2022

TibiTibi , Jan 15, 2022 :
    Sometimes i feel that I already know the whole internet.
    And then you create a thread like this I should realize that internet is bigger than I thought.

Thanks.

philos64, atenaa, Caomhin and 3 others like this.
  18. RacerZ
    Lollipop Jan 15, 2022

RacerZ , Jan 15, 2022 :
    Never heard of the dude (showing my age.). But he sounds a lot better than Logan and Jake Paul who are complete a-holes. But I will say Jake can fight.

philos64, atenaa, TibiTibi and 3 others like this.
  19. McJader

McJader , Jan 15, 2022 :
    It is so interesting to see people who know nothing about him, get to know through my thread.
    Wasn't expecting it honestly, but I really like it:)

philos64, atenaa, TibiTibi and 3 others like this.
  20. Cheetosdust
    Moderator, Content Coordinator Moderator Writers' Club Jan 15, 2022

Cheetosdust , Jan 15, 2022 :
    I discovered MrBeast recently with the Squid Game video, it was his first video I saw, heard the name before. It's cool that he is using his presence online to do some good.

At least he is not spending $3.5M in fake Pokémon Cards, that's something. :p

Kudos to @McJader for the thread and to @rohitanand for the banner. :cool:

philos64, rhyd1am, atenaa and 6 others like this.