Multi charger test

1. youpii
    Honeycomb Aug 14, 2014

youpii , Aug 14, 2014 :
    I'd like to share a few findings about USB chargers & cables with the OPO.

I tried the few chargers & cables that I have at home with a funny device called Charger Doctor which is basically an electrical meter with USB connector. I costs around two euros on ebay.

My main findings are:
    • Get higher charge current when the OP screen is OFF (not when the phone is off, just when you're not using it)
    • Stay away from cheap "Samsung" ebay chargers
    • Leave dusty cables at the bottom of the drawer where they belong except for data transfer

Chargers that I tried:
    • OP charger that came with the OPO, rated 2.1Ah
    • HP Touchpad tablet charger, rated 2.0Ah
    • Teclast octocore tablet charger, rated 2.0Ah
    • KMS-AC09 quad USB charger, rated 4x2.1Ah
    • Topow charger (came with QI wireless charger), rated 1.5Ah
    • Samsung clone charger, rated 2.0Ah

Results with OPO red cable (Screen On / Off):
    • :D OP charger: 1.45 / 1.90
    • :D HP Touchpad tablet charger: 1.45 / 1.90
    • :D Teclast tablet charger: 1.45 / 1.90
    • :) KMS-AC09 quad USB charger: :D 1.45 / 1.90 on the two lower ports, :( 1.05 / 1.05 on the two upper ports
    • :D Topow charger: 1.45 / 1.90 - Yes, that's above specs!
    • :( Samsung clone charger: 0.85 / 0.85 - Very bad

Then I tried with different cables:
    • All the combos of the 2A chargers (except Samsung clone) with the cables that came with them yielded the expected current.
    • Using older black generic USB cables yielded around 0.5Ah, even as low as 0.15Ah.
    I understand that USB data cables should be 28AWG and USB power should be 24AWG, with mixed cables being 28/24AWG. But that information is seldom indicated on ebay or even on the cables.​

Please share your own findings.

Mandatory pics:

Charger Doctor
    [​IMG]

HP Touchpad
    [​IMG]

Teclast
    [​IMG]

quad USB
    [​IMG]

Topow
    [​IMG]

Samsung clone
    [​IMG]

esaurabh, alchang, pelijaw and 23 others like this.
  2. rangler123
    Honeycomb Aug 14, 2014

rangler123 , Aug 14, 2014 :
    i ordered the kopi cables(these cables are 20awg) and one of these Anker 40W 5-port Family-sized Desktop USB Charger with PowerIQ Technology. I dont know the amperage as i dont have your tool but it charges at about a percent a minute on this huge battery

3. ambrolan
    Honeycomb Aug 14, 2014

ambrolan , Aug 14, 2014 :
    big job done!!! Thank you. i'll use the link to your thread to inform my mates

would be nice if more ppl share their experience with chargers

4. Architect
    Honeycomb Aug 14, 2014

5. PRobinson08
    Eclair Aug 14, 2014

6. youpii
    Honeycomb Aug 16, 2014

youpii , Aug 16, 2014 :
    The Kopi cable looks nice but Amazon FR doesn't sell them.

7. tycho81
    Eclair Aug 17, 2014

tycho81 , Aug 17, 2014 :
    + for the HP touchpad charger. That thing is a beast (and frankly less cheap feeling than the opo charger).

Also good to remember that these chargers tested are in the high range. A lot of phone chargers generally output around 1a. My lumia 920 charger is 5v 1a output.

And also. Cheap, China made chargers on eBay should never ever!!! be used. You have a high chance of eventually frying your device using something with beyond questionable electronic components and sub-par quality standards.

Here is why... Think of it like having a UPS for clean power stability and not for power outages...
    http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-is.html

Edbit33 and tomshep like this.
  8. slava 1982
    Gingerbread Aug 17, 2014

9. larsu
    Gingerbread Aug 31, 2014

larsu , Aug 31, 2014 :
    Could i get some results with phone completly off and with screen off, pics, results?

(What is that 2 euros piece error margin? have u tried with multimeter etc.. to count exact result?)

10. acwe
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 31, 2014

11. grandestrongman
    Froyo Aug 31, 2014

12. shengzhe
    Gingerbread Aug 31, 2014

13. larsu
    Gingerbread Aug 31, 2014

larsu , Aug 31, 2014 :
    But it wont work with anything else than OPPO..

shengzhe likes this.
  14. shengzhe
    Gingerbread Aug 31, 2014

shengzhe , Aug 31, 2014 :
    Indeed LOL

15. TheScotsmaneuq1weqwjqj
    Froyo Aug 31, 2014

16. larsu
    Gingerbread Aug 31, 2014

17. Zhukov45
    Gingerbread Sep 9, 2014

Zhukov45 , Sep 9, 2014 :
    I've gone on a small quest to find a decent charger for all the various phones we have in our family, as well as cables to match. I *had* a bunch of different chargers and cables, but not all survived.

First of all, I found out that just because a charger is rated at 2A doesn't mean you're going to be getting that. The cable and even your phone's firmware make a difference. I bought a really highly-rated charger at Amazon with dual ports. One was labeled Apple, the other non-Apple. My Samsung Galaxy Nexus only charged at the USB rate on the Apple port, but then I noticed that all our other phones charged at the AC rate on the same port. So it seems that the firmware makes a difference. The way to check is to go to the battery screen on your device and see if it shows "Charging (USB)" or "Charging (AC)". The USB rate is throttled to only 500mA while AC will give you the full 1A.

Then there's the charging cables; if you bought ultra-cheap cables that only support the USB +5V/GND pins, you may not get the full charge rate either. I bought a bunch from Monoprice and they've been good (and cheap to boot).

I can highly recommend the Anker 24W dual-port charger with powerIQ ($9.99) - both ports put out 2.1A. The wall charger that worked pretty good for me was the PowerGen 10W unit ($7.99). Both it and the Anker were dual-port.

alchang, Edbit33 and deecee like this.
  18. youpii
    Honeycomb Sep 10, 2014

rangler123 likes this.
  19. Zhukov45
    Gingerbread Sep 10, 2014

Zhukov45 , Sep 10, 2014 :
    They also make standard wallplates with two 120V outlets and USB ports built in. The problem with those is that you can't pick them up and move them, but it may be a neat and tidy solution for some.

20. sarat
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 10, 2014

sarat , Sep 10, 2014 :
    where r u from??