MWC19 Recap: Our favorite moments

1. Dale F.
    Copywriter Mar 1, 2019

Dale F. , Mar 1, 2019 :
    5G-stuff.png

Hi friends,

MWC is the most exciting time of the year for mobile tech fans. It’s a week filled with announcements, innovations, and talks from the biggest names in the mobile world. This year, not only did OnePlus showcase our prototype 5G device, but both @Carl and @Pete were in sunny Barcelona to share our plans for the exciting new era of mobile communications.

With tickets starting at a crazy 799 EUR, it’s understandable if you didn’t make it to MWC in person. But don’t worry – below, we’ve included a recap of our MWC highlights.

We showcase the potential of 5G

As @dsmonteiro reported here, our 5G prototype was unveiled at MWC. Attendees had the chance to test the power of OnePlus and 5G by trying out Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown. This graphically demanding game is normally only found on the PS4, Xbox One, or PC. Thanks to the magic of 5G, however, it was streamed from the cloud to our device (which was hooked up to a monitor and Xbox controller). Along with our partners Shadow, the demo allowed us to show the limitless possibilities of not just 5G cloud gaming but also cloud computing in general.

What's more, your messages from our Say Hello to 5G page were sent live to our 5G device, letting you be a part of MWC - even if you weren't there in person.

OnePlus_MWC_Booth_5G_pete_gaming_1.jpg
    A huge OnePlus fan tries his hand at gaming on our 5G device. Can you guess who he is?

Our biggest inspiration is explained by Carl

Carl took to the stage with our partners Qualcomm and EE on Monday to explain why we’ve been pursuing the OnePlus 5G project ever since 2016. The answer? You – our amazing community members <3

"There's no-one better suited than OnePlus to lead 5G, because of our users," Carl said during his speech. “Our community is the most enthusiastic about tech, and our brand was built on sharing the best technology with the world.”

Carl_EE_Qualcomm_Panel_MWC.jpg
    Carl speaks alongside EE and Qualcomm during an MWC19 panel

"In December last year, we announced our partnership with EE to be one of the first to launch a commercial 5G device in Europe. We already have the world's most demanding users, in terms of technology, so we matched it with the fastest network.”

Marc Allera of UK wireless carrier EE also explained how his company and its “thousands of engineers” are already working “24/7, around the clock” to make sure its crazy-fast 5G network is raring to go once our 5G device is released later this year.

Pete shares his vision for the future

On Tuesday, @Pete hosted a 5G panel, alongside EE and Qualcomm. During the panel, Pete predicted that 5G will be made up of three different phases.

According to Pete, 2019 will see the beginning of the first stage, during which faster cloud services and revolutionary new apps change how we do things. The second phase will be around 2021 – 25, when 5G, AI and cloud computing become seamless and make our lives a lot easier. Finally, phase 3, 2025 – 30, will be when we see the internet of things and 5G combine to create a global network of devices that will change how we live.

“The service will be there only when you need it, and be on standby out of your way when not needed,” Pete said.

MWC_panel_Pete.jpg
    Pete explains his vision for the future of 5G, alongside Qualcomm and EE

During the MWC panel, Pete also announced the 5G Apps of Tomorrow program. This was launched to tap into our huge network of developers and OnePlus fans around the world, giving us the chance to work together to bring the next generation of apps to life. To read more about this great opportunity, see Pete’s post HERE.

We meet up with the community

The best part of being a OnePlus employee is getting to catch up with our community members. On Feb 27, Carl and @David S. hosted a community event in Barcelona - lucky attendees also had the chance to meet our very own @dsmonteiro. During the event, Carl mentioned the amazing reception of our first official OnePlus pop-ups in Spain, for the 6T launch. Meanwhile, the pair took questions from our community attendees – mainly around 5G and what it means for the future.

“5G will change everything, from gaming, through to communication, through to health, and beyond,” Carl told the audience.

MWC_community_event_Carl_David.jpg
    Carl and David S field questions during a community meet-up in Barcelona

“But to be honest, it’s hard to predict the changes and that’s why we’re launching the 5G Apps of Tomorrow program. This is a program to help our community and the next great app creators to build their ideas to change the world.”

For a more thorough report on the community event, check out the post from OnePlus Spain teammember @One_Will9 right HERE.

So there we have it. We’d love to hear your feedback on our presence at MWC19 and your thoughts on the future of OnePlus and our plans for 5G. And if you were at the event (or the fan meet-up), share any cool comments and photos below!

Never Settle.

2. Moin2200
    KitKat Mar 1, 2019

Moin2200 , Mar 1, 2019 :
    Thanks for the recap Dale!

It sure has been the most interesting MWC we've had in years.
    Not only for oneplus with its mayor milestone with 5G.

But with the introduction to the next generation of technology that is foldable phones. Though I wouldn't buy one because of price and the plastic screens It's still cool to see how tech has matured.
    Every mayor player has made progress such as Huawei, Samsung and oppo.
    In other news Samsung is going big with their galaxy s10.
    And LG with the dissapoinment that is the G8...

It's shaping up to be an very exciting year for tech.

Predict23, buntycubal and G_plusone like this.
  3. Venky61
    Jelly Bean Mar 1, 2019

Venky61 , Mar 1, 2019 :
    Thanks for the recap @Dale F. That's an interesting thing to know about cloud gaming through the phone by using 5G. Is that fan Dave ? :D

True... Exciting to see the foldable designs. I liked Huawei's design the most.
    It's also great to see Samsung heading towards wide angle camera. Hope oneplus enters that domain too.

buntycubal and G_plusone like this.
  4. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Mar 1, 2019

G_plusone , Mar 1, 2019 :
    You :p

Dale F. and buntycubal like this.
  5. Q1518113187367
    Cupcake Mar 1, 2019

Soham_Maiti likes this.
  6. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Mar 1, 2019

dsmonteiro , Mar 1, 2019 :
    No current device (from any brand) will get 5G via an update. 5G relies on specific hardware.

alessiodales and Md.Bayeed like this.
  7. Seagal_aikikai
    Honeycomb Mar 1, 2019

8. Mr.nautanki.patel
    Cupcake Mar 2, 2019

9. Fellet Axel
    Cupcake Mar 2, 2019

10. Mr.nautanki.patel
    Cupcake Mar 2, 2019

Mr.nautanki.patel , Mar 2, 2019 :
    No... but oneplus 6t will give you a maximum speed. it can deliver.
    and 5g data will cost more then 4g and 5g device price range will be high .

11. AOJ
    Eclair Mar 2, 2019

AOJ , Mar 2, 2019 :
    Hi everybody! I'm not known in the forums, I'm just a very active stalker here, hahaha. But I'm an old fan of the brand (original OnePlus One owner, now a 5T user) and I'm a photographer related to the tech media press.

First of all, excuse me my less-than-ok english skills ^_^U. I'm going to write here my report of the events for the community.

Visited the MWC booth on Tuesday afternoon as @dsmonteiro pointed me he would be there. The booth was contained in a super Qualcomm/5G megastand, with various other companies that use Qualcomm chipsets and are the first ones using 5G capabilities. OnePlus is definetly a leading company, 0 doubts about this :)

I was able to try the streaming game demo (Ace Combat 7). All the game was being streamed directly from an Xbox via 5G to the OP's proto phone. I have to admit that I was quite impressed on how good can you play on a streamed game using this new technology, latency is really low! I was able to destroy some flying enemies without being killed, hahaha. But let's get real, 5G is super fast, but not ULTRA CRITICAL MEGA fast. Do not expect to play fighting games with 1/60 frame input movements for example. But overall gets streaming a game over a cell network as a real thing :D

I also tried to get exclusive information or any interesting news about OnePlus chatting with @dsmonteiro . But he knows perfectly its company information policy and what can be said so ... no information nor any little cue was shared, hahaha. Sorry for being persistent and maybe a cumbersome fan, but I enjoyed that time in the booth :p

On Wednesday was held the fan meeting at FNAC Triangle, located in the very center of Barcelona (if you cross the street, you are in the Ramblas!). I came about 30 minutes prior to the event and there were about 40 persons lining in. A couple of minutes passed by and people from OnePlus_ES came to salute us and introduce themselves, as well as @Carl that came to say hi to the fans :D

Everybody had coffee and pastry, that was a nice detail (specially for us Spaniards ... we eat dinner super late compared to every other country in the world xD). And we were gifted some cool OnePlus accessories and merch, yeeessssss

I don't want to write everything that was said because it would be waaaaay too long, and @dsmonteiro did already a transcription of some questions. But it was a nice gathering and worth attending. All the event was presented by Marc from OnePlus_ES who made it very enjoyable. He was in charge of introducing and asking questions to @Carl and @David S. , and taking off people shyness away xD

What it felt really good was the quality of the questions from the attendees and the replies. Fans know OP, we know that nobody is going to tell you any secrets about future products. Instead questions were oriented in a different fields like for example camera quality, future 5G connectivity, personal questions (like which mobile phone games do they play atm), marketing plans, etc ... time passed very fast for sure! Finally we could take a picture with @Carl :)

And that's it! Hoping all people had a great time in Barcelona, and glad to see you in future real life events in Spain!

12. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Mar 2, 2019

dsmonteiro , Mar 2, 2019 :
    As answered above:

13. L1551548008590
    Cupcake Mar 2, 2019

L1551548008590 , Mar 2, 2019 :
    Is that Kazutaki Kono playing his own masterpiece, Ace Combat 7, at MWC19?

Two of my favorite things in the world... Ace Combat and OnePlus [e]1f601[/e]

Dale F. likes this.
  14. Robin A.
    Community Product Manager Staff Member OnePlus Bug Hunter Mar 5, 2019

15. Parkyprakhar
    Cupcake Mar 5, 2019

Parkyprakhar , Mar 5, 2019 :
    Thank you for the recap! This is exactly why OnePlus 5G is one of the most awaited smartphones of 2019!

Dale F. likes this.
  16. Dale F.
    Copywriter Mar 6, 2019

G_plusone likes this.
  17. Dale F.
    Copywriter Mar 6, 2019

Dale F. , Mar 6, 2019 :
    The player is no other than the great @Pete himself :D

G_plusone likes this.
  18. G_Joyson_Parfait_Chanteu
    Cupcake Mar 12, 2019

19. Deactivated User