My 2 cents worth on the Nougat roll out

1. ironass KitKat Jan 15, 2017

ironass, Jan 15, 2017 :
    My 2 cents worth on the Nougat roll out

IMHO, if OnePlus' Carl Pei made an error, it was to state that Nougat would be rolled out before the end of 2016. Whilst this may have seemed, "do-able", back in October/November of 2016 it was soon evident from Beta releases 8 & 9 that, as with all new firmwares, there were problems.

However, such was the hysteria whipped up by users over the promise of Nougat before 1st January 2017 arrived, that OnePlus went to the wire on New Years Eve, 2016, and released OxygenOS 4.0 which was based, I believe, on the buggy Beta 8 & 9 releases as there was not enough time for feedback and assimilation of the later 28 Dec: Beta 10 release.

Knowing that 4.0 was less than perfect, I think that rather than committing to a worldwide roll out, OnePlus decided to do a small, limited, release as a face saver. Thanks to VPN's, this release went global and its shortcomings soon became apparent.

In an effort to repair this they rushed out a, "hotfix", update, 4.0.1, a week later in response to the adverse criticism for 4.0. Whilst this offered some solutions, it was once again obvious that 4.0.1 was less than desirable and its roll out has been very gradual since, in effect, the official stock users had now become the Beta testers themselves.

We are now hearing rumours about yet another release, 4.0.2, which once again may serve as another, "hotfix", and depending on its reception, may also be on a limited roll out whilst its effectiveness is tested. I believe that at this moment, OnePlus' priority is getting a stable official release out a.s.a.p. If the forthcoming OxygenOS 4.0.2 is judged to be stable and effective by OnePlus and users, I forsee a global rollout to everyone across the board.

Hopefully, Carl Pei has learnt not make any rash firmware promises in future and the OnePlus dev's can get us back on track soon. Until that time, here is a little ditty that my grey haired grandmother used to recite...

"Patience is a virtue,

Possess it if you can.

Seldom found in a woman,

Never in a man!
    " ;)

(This is a rework of my original post on the Beta forum, here)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017

2. bpwest80 KitKat Jan 15, 2017

vintagetech and Anas Qiblawi like this.
  3. Android450 Marshmallow Jan 15, 2017

Android450, Jan 15, 2017 :
    Not having any major problems, those that have been on Android know that with a major update, you either clean install or factory reset if you encounter major errors. The update has been great on a lot of people's devices from what I've seen aside from the downloads on playstore when roaming which has been confirmed as a Google issue not a OnePlus issue for those still unaware.

Now alot of people will tell me that this build is not stable because of a the threads people make on the forum so here are my arguments.

1. Of course you will see mostly problems on the forums as that's what they are for.

2. The threads are repeats of problems that people could easily find fixes to just by searching instead of starting completely new threads

3. I have noticed that people will make threads about such small issues that aren't actually real bugs. Such as the volume slider or the accent colors of the OS

And there are my two cents

4. gg21pink Froyo Jan 15, 2017

gg21pink, Jan 15, 2017 :
    I've done a complete factory reset with 4.0.1 and the basic functionality that worked with marshmallow of pairing Bluetooth to my car does not work even after dying things like renaming my device, deleting the old pair from my car, etc. This is a basic functionality that is missing for many people, I hope they fix this soon because as much as I love the op3 I can't be without Bluetooth.

5. pa5t1s Marshmallow Jan 15, 2017

pa5t1s, Jan 15, 2017 :
    well done.jpg

6. Android450 Marshmallow Jan 15, 2017

I use Bluetooth on my car stereo as well on a Bluetooth speaker and I haven't had any issues so I find that pretty puzzling

7. pa5t1s Marshmallow Jan 15, 2017

pa5t1s, Jan 15, 2017 :
    Wow ! 2 smart posts in a row !
    brillant.jpg

Sun90 and ironass like this.
  8. Android450 Marshmallow Jan 15, 2017

Sun90, ironass and pa5t1s like this.
  9. pa5t1s Marshmallow Jan 15, 2017

Sun90, ironass and Android450 like this.
  10. G_Paul_Buckle_sLjz Froyo Jan 15, 2017

G_Paul_Buckle_sLjz, Jan 15, 2017 :
    Have had no major issues at all with either the 4.0 or the 4.1. updates. There was a problem connecting to my google account, after the 4.0 update, in that the op3 said it couldn't find any back up for my device. A quick restart solved that and it carried on as normal all apps started to download and reappear as expected. Contacts have been fine, no issues with those. The quirks, like no vibration mode from volume control and both sim cards being the same colour really aren't that big a deal for me - though I can see why they would impact on people used to those features. I would like to know why some people are having issues though and other aren't - it does seem odd that some simply updating from one stock image with no changes made to their device, are having problems, while others in the position aren't.

11. mmddmm1702 Honeycomb Jan 15, 2017

mmddmm1702, Jan 15, 2017 :
    Basically you are right. For standard users of a smartphone it can be a horror to face all that can happen, because they have no clue how to repair it, where to ask or what to do.

And, they don't have to. A phone has to work. And that's it.
    I would not recommend an OP phone to an standard user, other than other brands.

For me though the phone is great. But I know how to handle shit that happens or how to find a workaround.

Conclusion.

OP phones are no mainstream phones, but beta community phones.

Android450 likes this.
  12. pa5t1s Marshmallow Jan 15, 2017

pa5t1s, Jan 15, 2017 :
    You are wrong imo. What happens is happening to people that didn't follow the rules : OTA is incremental and targeted to a small number of countries (and not their country obviously) . They use a VPN, they got bugs... no excuses, no whining !

RonaldM and OnePlusBrice like this.
  13. mmddmm1702 Honeycomb Jan 15, 2017

Bugs have nothing to do with VPN. It does not matter, because usually it is the same update everywhere.
    I had problems too, but I knew where they came from and how to handle it and now it is running smooth. Except of the bugs. But I can live with them ;)

Without VPN just people in two or five countries would have gotten bugs.
    The same if they are standard users and can handle it. Standard users would be eg. My parents or some friends who have no clue ;)

14. G_Christo_Kulangara_euaj Eclair Jan 15, 2017

G_Christo_Kulangara_euaj, Jan 15, 2017 :
    Oneplus still hasn't released the source binaries for the previous few updates. Now this is a problem. Carl and team are going back on their promises of GPLv2
    Becoming one of 'those' companies.

15. pa5t1s Marshmallow Jan 15, 2017

pa5t1s, Jan 15, 2017 :
    Afaik, most 'standard users' do updates whenever they are 'obliged to' (like Windows for instance) or they know 'how' to do. Your parents are most probably like mine: if they don't know, they ask for advice/help/assistance...or don't do at all. Fortunately, they can live without as well...
    So, what upset me a lot (like many others around) is the recurring whining threads by people who think they are smart enough to do something, do it wrong and then cry. Furthermore, they were not 'targeted' at first by the OTA.
    So, yes, VPN has nothing to do with the bugs (even Huawei has a buggy update to Nougat these days), but it is their responsibility to use a VPN and get themselves into troubles.

Sun90 and nobody12 like this.
  16. mmddmm1702 Honeycomb Jan 15, 2017

Hahaha ... If you put it this way, you're 100% right.
    80% of this forum is about whining and filling lakes with tears. And about not being able to read :D
    And imho, there isn't a much of difference between MM and N that would make it a must have. Just a new toy.
    And the accent colors are better ... Turquoise :p

17. Zh_kilat Android Q Jan 15, 2017

Sun90, ironass and Android450 like this.
  18. Android450 Marshmallow Jan 15, 2017

people just seem to believe that they're entitled especially in this community

SimonRam, pa5t1s and bpwest80 like this.
  19. Zh_kilat Android Q Jan 15, 2017

Zh_kilat, Jan 15, 2017 :
    You may call it Nougat hiccups ....

Sun90 and ironass like this.
  20. C Me Cupcake Jan 15, 2017

C Me, Jan 15, 2017 :
    I haven't even received the nougat update yet on my op3t so I kinda agree I'm waiting