My 2014 Asus laptop is overheating like a summer in Egypt... Please help

1. JoshBaldassarre
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 26, 2016

JoshBaldassarre , Jun 26, 2016 :
    Hello all,
    My laptop is an Asus 15" laptop with a 1080p display, gtx 850m and i7 4700HQ. In theory this should be a beast right? Nope... It lags, super slow boot time and heats up so much I am sweating right now sitting next to it (just from watching YouTube videos). How can I fix this without resets? I've already tried that anyway. I have considered under clocking but I want some feedback first, any help?

2. Wahoux
    Lollipop Jun 26, 2016

3. nils.schomber
    Jelly Bean Jun 26, 2016

headphones1 likes this.
  4. JoshBaldassarre

Cool, never though of that. I've never disassembled my laptop before but I have seen videos doing it... I'll give that a try alongside under clocking.

5. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Jun 26, 2016

Tokolozi , Jun 26, 2016 :
    What's using most of your processes? Also give it a good clean with an air can and maybe even replace your thermal paste.

6. JoshBaldassarre

Wahoux likes this.
  7. JoshBaldassarre

Soory, I'm a newb to internals of Laptops... Thermal paste?

8. Tokolozi

Oh also is it heating like this while charging or just normal usage. Slow boots can be caused by the hard drive, give it a defeat (use defraggler much better). DO NOT DEFRAG AN SSD, I REPEAT DO NOT DEFRAG AN SSD.JUST NO

9. Tokolozi

Its a special compound between the cooling and cpu and GPU, maybe you have a tech savvy buddy to help you?

10. eye842
    Lollipop Jun 26, 2016

11. JoshBaldassarre

It overheats no matter what usage

12. JoshBaldassarre

Maybe some friends can help, but cleaning the laptop out shouldn't be a problem

Tokolozi likes this.
  13. JoshBaldassarre

Does a factory reset count?

14. Nicodoc
    Gingerbread Jun 26, 2016

Nicodoc , Jun 26, 2016 :
    I underclocked my surface pro 3 because it was too hot. Easy, no issues, same performance (even better because the CPU does not throttle) and double battery life ;)

Joshua_B and headphones1 like this.
  15. fanatik85
    Gingerbread Jun 26, 2016

fanatik85 , Jun 26, 2016 :
    Asus? just stay far away... i bought 2 laptop and 1 ultrabook from asus . Laptops have a litt bit warmer since i bought . ultrabook has a wifi and sleep mode bug ( wifi always cutten and does not connect after wake, also when pc goes sleep it does not wake up you must need restart... driver updates and microsoft updates did not solve )
    the big problem was asus laptops and ultraboos. all their hinge of screen was broken . so i decided to stay away from ASUS.

with your problem i was same with the my lenovo laptop.After bought 5 years, it started overheating while surfing internet and it started shutdown ..so i open the back cover and clean dust on gpu fan ( there was really huge dust) and reappy thermal paste on cpu (it was dry when i open ) and now all them working perfect...

16. eye842
    Lollipop Jun 26, 2016

eye842 , Jun 26, 2016 :
    Not sure, your laptop came with pre installed drivers for win8 (most likely) and many of them conflicts with win10.

I've been there, my last Asus broke the hinges for the screen resulting in the connector to the motherboard kept getting damaged.

headphones1 likes this.
  17. headphones1
    Jelly Bean Jun 26, 2016

headphones1 , Jun 26, 2016 :
    Do you have pets?
    Quick check from a field tech; shut the laptop off, pull the battery out, hold toothpick or something between the fan blades (so they don't spin and generate energy), and blow canned air from the exit vent towards the fan. Make sure to get between all of the fins on the heatsink. If you see hair or dust come out by the fan, I'd get it cleaned.

Edit; I'm just guessing you haven't used canned air before, just remember to keep it upright. Shaking or tilting can cause the propellant to come out like liquid nitrogen.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016

Joshua_B and eye842 like this.
  18. SimonFullerImagery
    Jelly Bean Jun 26, 2016

SimonFullerImagery , Jun 26, 2016 :
    What does task manager say? Usually find something in there burning away the CPU. It was OneDrive on my surface pro4

Joshua_B likes this.
  19. JoshBaldassarre

Griffin screw drivers won't fit, I cheated my way through getting most out with one that shouldn't fit but works. But that last screw just doesn't want me to clean my laptop's internals...
    Well "Screw" you...
    Terrible pun...

20. nils.schomber
    Jelly Bean Jun 26, 2016

nils.schomber , Jun 26, 2016 :
    There are several videos on youtube on how to clean heatsink of laptops with compressed air. so you don't need to dismount your device.

headphones1 and Joshua_B like this.