My As Harsh As Possible Review [Very Long]

1. JakeMnz
    Gingerbread Oct 29, 2014

JakeMnz , Oct 29, 2014 :
    Before we start, I'd like to say this: The One by OnePlus is a very good phone for what you're spending. If you expect the quality that you would find in a Samsung or LG phone then you need to lower your expectations. This is a start up company making their first phone and trying to get their foot in the door. It's very good, especially for the price, but don't expect perfection.

With that out of the way, let's talk about this phone.

Edit: Updates will be dated using this format: mm/dd/yy

The Guts
    This phone is well equipped with the best of the best. Other than the processor which is now a generation behind (The OnePlus One has a Snapdragon 801 and the newest processor is the 805), this phone is at the front of the race for internal components. Even though the processor is barely outdated, the speed of this device is absolutely amazing. Multitasking is fast, smooth, and just feels good. I personally haven't been able to push the graphic capabilities too much, but from what I have done with it and have seen from other people, this device is a force to be reckoned with when it comes to the GPU.

Let's talk about something people are really excited about: The battery. What you need to understand is that no matter how large or small the technology is, they all follow the same basic rule. Demanding components require stronger batteries. Imagine the OPO is a computer. Would you put a 300 watt power supply in a rig with a $3000 i7 processor and an Nvidia Titan? Hell no, you'd be insane. The idea behind putting a 3100mAh battery in the OPO isn't so that it will hold a charge longer per se, but rather so that it can actually power the powerful processor, GPU, and RAM inside the device. Now, that's not to say that the battery is useless for longevity, it's actually amazing. On my old Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G, I could go through a whole day of school listening to music, then get home and browse the internet with it and by the end of the night have about a 20%-30% charge. With my OPO, I can do the same thing and play Pokemon on an emulator and browse the internet throughout the day, come home and continue to browse the internet and finish off the day with a charge ranging anywhere from 50%-75%. That's just amazing, don't you think?

The Camera
    I'm on the fence about the camera, and a lot of you might hate me for the comparison I make later on. In terms of quality and clarity, you've got to give a round of applause to the OnePlus One. It's stunning how good the pictures are (I'll add a few to the end of this section). The amount of customization that you can do with the camera is crazy. I showed it to my grandfather who has been doing photography ever since he was a teenager and he was shocked that his new $3000 camera is sometimes out shot by my $350 phone's tiny camera. So what's the problem Jake? You're just saying good things about the camera. What's wrong with it? Ah, well there are two issues I'm having with the camera on this phone. The first one being that indoor shots (at least for me) have always been absolutely horrible. Compared to the iPhone's 8MP rear camera, indoor shots don't stand a chance. Even when stabilized and put on the best possible settings for the situation, my images always come out blurry and grainy. It's peculiar and since I'm no professional photographer, I have no clue how to explain why it happens and what the fix would be. Nature shots and anything taken outside on the other hand.. They're stunning. Now, onto my second complaint. The position of the camera. I personally find that when taking a landscape style shot, my finger will almost always become an issue. The high positioning of the camera forces me to push the phone with one hand without grasping it into my other hand and hold it tight with the hand that can grasp it as to avoid getting a picture of my finger. This causes not only discomfort, but it makes stabilizing the shot much harder and will result in a lot of blurry photos and retakes. A part of the problem is that the flip case makes it difficult to hold the phone any other way than by holding it at the center, so moving my hand down also causes discomfort and a lack of stabilization. A rather easy "fix" would be to just buy a really nice case on Amazon that isn't a flip, however I still think you might run into the problem here and there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You can see in this last image a perfect example of my issue with the camera height. This is by far my favorite picture that I took and I didn't even notice that it was ruined until I got home and saw the side of my finger intruding its way into the photo. This issue is something I wish could be fixed for everyone, but sadly it cannot be.

The Display
    Tell me Jake, do you have the yellow banding? Yes, yes I do. Really? How mad does it make you? Oh it makes me so.. so.. so.. Hell let's be honest, I spent $350 on a dream phone well aware that there was a good chance that this would happen. I'm not too pissed about it. Is it annoying? It can be. Is it a deal breaker? It really shouldn't be. The yellow banding on my phone is barely noticeable unless you're looking for it or looking at the bottom of the phone for a while. When I first got the phone actually, I didn't even notice I had the yellow banding until about two weeks later. Since I've noticed it, it's actually appeared to have worsened, but it's most likely my brain playing tricks on me. If the yellow banding is something holding you back from getting this phone, then you're honestly missing out. It's an amazing phone at a low price and being that nit picky just seems stupid to me.

Alright, on to the actual display. This phone boasts a 5.5 inch 1080p IPS display and it is f#@$ing amazing. Games, pictures, movies, YouTube videos, anything you can think of looks stunning on this phone. I don't stare at my phone all day, but occasionally I'll play a game for 30-45 minutes and not once have my eyes felt strained. If I had to say just one word to summarize the quality of this screen, I'd have to go with perfect. Out of all of the things I can sit here and nit pick about, the display is something I just can't think of anything bad to say about.

Cyanogenmod
    I've been using CM for about 2 years now and I've always loved it. Android already sets itself apart by being so much more customizable than the rest of the competition, but when you add CM... It's a whole new game. Different ROMs running CM, different themes based on CM, and new settings that can do as much as protect your privacy. I love Cyanogenmod and I'm sure as Hell happy that they're finally getting the recognition that they deserve. The OS on this phone specifically is smooth, fast, easy to use, and catered to every kind of user. The average Joe and the tech junkie that loves to tinker with the developer options will love every last thing about this phone's version of Cyanogenmod.

On top of all that, the CM team has actually dedicated a lot more of their time to this phone's specific version and from what I've heard will do their best to make it their #1 priority.

The Conclusion
    So let me answer the number one question on every potential buyer's mind. Is it worth it? My answer to you is.. I can't tell you. You need to think about who you are and what you're past phone experiences have been like. Were you a clutz and constantly dropping your phone? Get the new Nexus. Were you careful and rarely dropped your phone? Get the OnePlus One. Why do I say that? Well, if you drop your OPO, you're f#@$ed. OnePlus won't replace your screen and if they do, it will be close to the cost of buying a new OPO. Want to get your own screen and do it yourself? That'll cost you about $230 (last time I checked). If you don't think you're up to the challenge of treating this phone like it's your newborn baby, then you should seriously consider looking at other phones, especially since carriers don't offer any kind of insurance for this phone. So, other than the issue with the company not currently being able to provide adequate support for customers, I'd say that $350 is well worth the phone you're buying, just so long as you're willing to take good care of it and don't have your expectations through the clouds.

Updates
    I noticed I missed a few things in my tired stupor, so I'll put new things here

Bugs (11/13/14)
    So far, I haven't run into many bugs with this phone, but here's what I've experienced so far.

Crashing: Every time my phone crashed, I was either watching a YouTube video or taking a picture. I'm not too concerned and neither should you because I believe my phone has only crashed 3 times. 3 crashes in 2 months seems bad to some people, but hey, it's a $350 phone. It's bound to have issues.

What even is this?: I'll occasionally download and install an APK file from the internet and when I click the "Install" button, nothing happens. I have to turn the phone and flip the screen to be able to press "Install". Strange bug, I don't really care about it though.

Speakers
    I'll be blunt. They're okay. They're phone speakers, what did you expect? If you search "OnePlus One review Marques Brownlee" on YouTube, I believe he explains the issue with the speakers briefly in his video. They're good for phone speakers, but not the best.

tl;dr
    I love this phone at $350. I'd hate it at $600.

I also just ordered 3 cases which I will review here. I should have them by next Friday. (11/13/14)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014

2. tdobranski
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 29, 2014

3. yawhide
    Cupcake Oct 29, 2014

4. Boricua
    Jelly Bean Oct 29, 2014

5. JakeMnz
    Gingerbread Oct 29, 2014

JakeMnz , Oct 29, 2014 :
    You read 9 paragraphs that quickly? Hm, something tells me you didn't click the spoilers.

lievenp and wedad like this.
  6. bestlands
    KitKat Oct 29, 2014

thesound likes this.
  7. KenNicholson
    Eclair Oct 29, 2014

Bonkajs likes this.
  8. Birdchop
    Gingerbread Oct 29, 2014

Birdchop , Oct 29, 2014 :
    Whoa, whoa, whoa, first the new screen, now Snapdragon 805? AND KEEPING IT AT THE SAME PRICE??!!!? Oneplus is on fire. Or cocaine, same thing.

wedad, Bonkajs and Btdown like this.
  9. tdobranski
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 29, 2014

tdobranski , Oct 29, 2014 :
    I went through most of it. Skimmed looking for key words.

What? Are you a detective????

10. jermane propane
    Jelly Bean Oct 29, 2014

jermane propane , Oct 29, 2014 :
    Nice review. Great images!

11. Mauricio Nuñez Rodriguez
    Cupcake Oct 29, 2014

12. ethanchim10
    Jelly Bean Oct 29, 2014

13. dizzle16
    Jelly Bean Oct 29, 2014

14. j1ntran
    Gingerbread Oct 29, 2014

j1ntran , Oct 29, 2014 :
    This review is amazing! I think that low light shots can be fixed with software. And for the last point with the support, I think that it will get better after time. Demands are going nuts while their support is probably bombarded with request, fixed, and questions. I don't blame them for not getting back to customers in time.

15. Drb2018
    Cupcake Oct 29, 2014

Drb2018 , Oct 29, 2014 :
    This is very informational thank you for all the time you put into this.

16. blisside
    KitKat Oct 29, 2014

Nilesh Sajnani and JakeMnz like this.
  17. LogicallyHank
    Honeycomb Oct 29, 2014

18. LogicallyHank
    Honeycomb Oct 29, 2014

blisside likes this.
  19. Phoenixflame
    Honeycomb Oct 29, 2014

Phoenixflame , Oct 29, 2014 :
    Didn't take me too long to read it all.
    So not sure.

But have a banana. Nice take on the phone. Not harsh at all. In fact, it was moderately pleasant.

Nilesh Sajnani likes this.
  20. amarkenzon
    Froyo Oct 29, 2014

amarkenzon , Oct 29, 2014 :
    Interesting review. I really hope you were exaggerating the "dropping your phone" bit. I plan on getting the diztronic TPU case and an ORZLY tempered glass to protect the phone more.

MtnBykr likes this.