My Charging / Charger Thread - QI Wireless & USB Wired

1. ProWeb
    Donut Mar 16, 2015

ProWeb , Mar 16, 2015 :
    Hey everyone!

I love my OPO, but am sad that it doesn't have QI charging. I've spent a lot of time playing / working on options and thought I'd share them with the community:

Background: I have a QI transmitter that I purchased to charge my Nexus 7. I got hooked on wireless charging and now I HATE plugging in any micro USB devices. In fact, my 1st Gen Nexus 7 that doesn't have wireless... well, I can't charge it now since the micro USB port is broken from one of my kids being a little too careless while plugging it in.

Anywho... I love wireless charging and have a transmitter.

So, I purchased a case and the QI universal B (flat side down) charging coil card film thing from Amazon (DiGiYes® Universal Ultra Slim Micro USB Wireless Charging Receiver) for $10.

I got it installed on my OPO and noticed that it was REALLY hard to line up the phone with the pad to get it to start charging.

I'm VERY glad that I found this app to keep an eye on the charging current in milliamps mA.

It showed me that I was getting about 600 mA on my Nexus 7's built in QI charger, but only about 60 mA average using my Qi coil card/film with my OPO!?!? Sometimes I can get it to 300 mA, but it's rare and I have no idea why sometimes it works at that rate and sometimes it doesn't.

It's SUPER frustrating and I don't know what to do. I don't think it's a problem with the transmitter, and the coil is rated at 600 mA.

I've tested the QI card/film thing on my Nexus 7 (keeping it away from the build in one) and see that it charges pretty consistently at about 300 mA.

Oh, and another thing: When this QI card/film does finally get to 300 mA or above, it starts to make really faint beep / squeak / squelch sounds. SUPER odd!

I'm not sure what to do at this point... I REALLY want QI wireless charging to work on my OnePlus One. :(

On the positive side of things: Having that great app (OPO Charging Current) on my devices has shown me a few VERY important things:
    1. Not all Micro USB charge cables are created equal!!! With some I got only 25 mA and others I got over 1,000 (like the one included in the OPO)
    2. Not all AC / USB cables are created equal... similar problem above... but usually the range was 600 mA to 1,000
    3. My USB extension cord... which I thought would be a simple pass-through cable connection... limited my mA using the OPO stock AC plug and Micro USB cable from over 1k mA to about 50 mA!!!
    So, it's been "fun" testing all the combos of adapters, cords, etc. to see which ones will charge my OPO (and any other device) fastest! :D

rez1_k and S0bek like this.
  2. skyrocket
    Gingerbread Mar 17, 2015

skyrocket , Mar 17, 2015 :
    Qi charging is one thing I miss from my Nexus 5. It's so useful, so quick, and so easy especially when it's dark and the usb cable falls off the night stand. (I need to invest in some more BlueLounge CableDrops) I'll follow this thread and see what other people have to say about Qi charging and the OnePlus One. I've read that some people have took off the back cover and stuck a Qi charger there, but I don't know how it has been working out for them.

rez1_k, Nyan_ and S0bek like this.
  3. linrubmcq
    Froyo Mar 17, 2015

linrubmcq , Mar 17, 2015 :
    Did you replace the cover that doesn't have NFC built in?

From what I've read, the NFC that's built into the cover hinders with wireless charging.

Nyan_ and S0bek like this.
  4. Deactivated User
    Mar 17, 2015

Nyan_ likes this.
  5. ProWeb
    Donut Mar 17, 2015

ProWeb , Mar 17, 2015 :
    From what I understand, the NFC only comes into play when you put the charging card / film / coil between the stock back cover (which has the NFC antenna) and the battery.

I bought a case and have the coil outside of the cover / NFC... so in theory it shouldn't impact things.

I know these universal micro USB qi charging coil things are pretty common, so it'd be interesting to hear from other people that have used them AND tracked mA current.

Maybe these peeps:

Nyan_ and S0bek like this.
  6. Link_of_Hyrule
    Gingerbread Mar 18, 2015

Link_of_Hyrule , Mar 18, 2015 :
    I have trouble with device to device NFC sometimes but as far as Google Wallet goes that works fine but since the receiver is just under the case it's not hard to take it off if I really need to.

7. ProWeb
    Donut Mar 18, 2015

ProWeb , Mar 18, 2015 :
    Thanks for the reply! @Link_of_Hyrule, do you know what kind of mA current is being supplied to your phone from the coil receiver?

8. theretard
    Eclair Mar 18, 2015

theretard , Mar 18, 2015 :
    Unfortunately I don't use the NFC function much, but am able to test. I'll get back to you with figures soon :).

ProWeb likes this.
  9. theretard
    Eclair Mar 18, 2015

theretard , Mar 18, 2015 :
    NFC does hinder the charging. My thread shows pictures of how to circumvent this, and keep your phone looking good :)

10. Stadsport
    Froyo Mar 18, 2015

Stadsport , Mar 18, 2015 :
    When I added wireless charging to my OPO, I tried 6 different chargers and 4 different charging receivers.

What I found was, basically, you need to have at least one high quality Qi-certified component in the mix to actually make it work. If you have a cheapo receiver and cheap charger, it will barely charge if at all. If you have a cheap receiver and good charger, it will work (but might be finnicky about positioning). If you have a good receiver and good charger, you're golden.

My genuine Nexus 4 charger works with even the crappiest Qi receiver coils. My Chinese knock-off does not. My Tylt charger works with anything (though, admittedly, it takes a while to start charging for some reason), but my knock-off Tylt didn't.

I ultimately settled on one of the Tylt receiver pads as they're actually Qi-certified. I think I used a Galaxy S5 pad but it didn't matter since I hacked it up anyway. I use a Tylt Vu charger at home and a genuine Nexus 4 orb charger at work, and both work great, though admittedly the Nexus 4 charger isn't the best at supporting the OPO.

So, tl;dr version, the cheap chargers and/or cheap receivers are the real problem.

ProWeb likes this.
  11. ProWeb
    Donut Mar 19, 2015

ProWeb , Mar 19, 2015 :
    Brilliant, thanks @Stadsport !!!

A couple quick follow up questions:
    1. When you had the perfect combo of quality transmitter & receiver, what mA current was supplied to the phone? (this app works great)
    2. Looks like Tylt doesn't make a universal micro USB card :( (which explains why you used a hacked one). Are there no "quality" universal Qi coils / receivers out there?! :(
    In my dream world, there would be a OPO case with a built-in Qi coil and a pass-through micro USB charger. Basically what you've done with your mod, but without needing any skill ;)

I definitely appreciate the comments and look forward to your mA current rating you're getting with your combo.

12. Stadsport
    Froyo Mar 19, 2015

Stadsport , Mar 19, 2015 :
    1. I didn't monitor it before, but I installed that app yesterday, and looks like over night I was getting 857mA. That's the Tylt receiver and my Tylt Vu charger.
    2. Not that I could find, but to be honest I didn't look too hard since I knew I was splitting it open anyway. Internally, it looked pretty much the same as my other cheap receivers to be honest, but it certainly works better. Maybe it's just down to better logic? After trying three cheap receivers I emailed Tylt and just asked point blank what makes their receivers better than the others, and they basically just said "Well, ours are Qi certified, the others aren't." Not sure what the certification process requires but I would guess as long as it's Qi certified you'd be good.

ProWeb likes this.
  13. ProWeb
    Donut Mar 19, 2015

ProWeb , Mar 19, 2015 :
    Excellent, thanks so much for that!

Recently, for some odd reason, I've been getting about 300 mA with my combo... but the receiver whines/beeps/whistles very faintly... like a super quiet old 2400 baud modem. I wish there was a reliable universal receiver I could get my hands on.

14. Stadsport
    Froyo Mar 19, 2015

Stadsport , Mar 19, 2015 :
    Yeah, I'll get 300mA if it's above 90%, that seems to be the "cool-down lap" for the charging logic on most phones. When I was messing with cheap chargers and such, all of them would say charging, green light on, everything, but it would take aeons to actually charge. If I positioned them JUST RIGHT I could maybe get 3% per hour. When I tried overnight, half the time, it would just say charging and make no progress all night. But, unfortunately, I didn't log the actual charging rates with these chargers so I can't say exactly what they were outputting.

15. ProWeb
    Donut Mar 19, 2015

ProWeb , Mar 19, 2015 :
    Yup, that exact same thing happens to me. Basically it's getting about 30 - 50 mA, enough to say "charging" but the net power is about 0. I've had it happen a couple times with my Nexus 7 too, but it's WAY less finicky about perfect position like my OPO receiver is.

16. Link_of_Hyrule
    Gingerbread Mar 23, 2015

Link_of_Hyrule , Mar 23, 2015 :
    It says 377mA Maximum and 239mA average when using my 500 output wireless adapter I want to get one that's 1000 but I wonder if anyone on here has one to tell me if it's really any better. Edit: my other charging pad gives me a Max/higher average of 446/288.

If anyone can tell me what adapter and pad gets better mA that would be awesome. Anyone have this one that says it's 1000mA? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MN3RR7Q/

Edit: Someone made a video

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015

John lemboo likes this.
  17. ProWeb
    Donut Mar 23, 2015

ProWeb , Mar 23, 2015 :
    I'm REALLY thinking about getting that one to try it out, but it sure looks almost identical to the other one I have... just not labeled as that brand.

18. oneplusonefan!
    Gingerbread Mar 23, 2015

19. Link_of_Hyrule
    Gingerbread Mar 23, 2015

ProWeb likes this.
  20. ProWeb
    Donut Mar 23, 2015

ProWeb , Mar 23, 2015 :
    AWESOME!!!

I'll be anxiously waiting your results!