My Charging / Charger Thread - QI Wireless & USB Wired

1. ProWeb
    Donut Mar 24, 2015

ProWeb , Mar 24, 2015 :
    Sooooo... I just found these Powermat items on Amazon that are being liquidated for $9! It comes with:
    1. Charging base
    2. Phone case with receiver built-in (pay attention here) that converts the iPhone into a micro USB connector
    3. A battery pack
    I got them today and put one on my wife's iPhone 4s and I'm SUPER impressed! The units "magnetize" into place on the mat and make a cool "connected" sound.

It's a KILLER deal for a pretty cool device. In fact, I just purchased 3 more :D

UPDATE: I just found the one for the Galaxy S3 and cancled my order for the iPhone ones. This is cool since they should come with the micro USB pass-through built right in!

The case for the 4s is super thin. I have no idea where in the case the receiver is set, but I'm thinking there may be opportunity to hack this thing to work with my OPO!!!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015

2. ProWeb
    Donut Mar 24, 2015

ProWeb , Mar 24, 2015 :
    Well, as it turns out, I'm WAY too impatient for my own good! I was looking at the Powermat case and trying to figure out where the charge coil was located and how the case was constructed. It seemed like the case was poured around the coil and I'd never get to it.

... that is until I bent the case a little and heard a tiny "pop"... like the sound of plastic pulling away from it's adhesion!

Here's what I found:

The Powermat case (for the iPhone 4s):
    upload_2015-3-23_19-1-58.png

The case with the plastic front cover removed showing the coil & innards:

upload_2015-3-23_19-2-29.png

The coil thickness compared to a US Quarter:
    upload_2015-3-23_19-3-36.png

upload_2015-3-23_19-4-2.png

There's a pretty complex ribbon cable that connects to that port / connector to the far left and then goes to the micro USB / iPhone connector.

I'm getting a bit over my head, but it's fun to tear this stuff apart and see what's going on.

BTW, I'm LOVING the magnetic pull of the coil to the Powermat. It's got such a great feel to have the device mate and align with the mat!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015

3. JDMSteven
    Honeycomb Mar 24, 2015

JDMSteven , Mar 24, 2015 :
    stock charger all the time for me, absolutely love it. 0-100 in about an hour

4. riffraff81
    KitKat Mar 24, 2015

riffraff81 , Mar 24, 2015 :
    has anyone found a wireless charging setup for this phone that will charge the phone fully in a little over 60 minutes?

5. ProWeb
    Donut Mar 24, 2015

ProWeb , Mar 24, 2015 :
    That would take a wireless system that outputs about 3 amps... which I think is at least 3x more than anything available on any wireless charging system.

6. ProWeb
    Donut Mar 24, 2015

7. riffraff81
    KitKat Mar 24, 2015

riffraff81 , Mar 24, 2015 :
    charging times for Qi need to get a lot faster for me to get into it. i'd much rather have a phone with VOOC charging tech than Qi. i would find plugging in for 30 minutes for a full days charge to be more beneficial than setting it on a pad for 3 hours for the same result. if a Qi charging setup can match VOOC charging efficiency, i'm all in.

8. ProWeb
    Donut Mar 25, 2015

ProWeb , Mar 25, 2015 :
    HOLY COW!!

My Powermat kit for the Galaxy S3 came today and I promptly took it apart. It was MUCH more challenging to get at the board than it was on the iPhone case, but I was able to get it free.

It works great... actually WAY better than expected since I'm now able to test the mA current... which got up to 1,000 mA!!!!! WOOOOT!!!

Oh, and for a fun test I put two plastic credit cards (way thicker than most cases) between the receiver and transmitter and was still getting over 600 mA!

Now I need to figure out if there's a way to incorporate this into a case using the Micro USB passthrough.

upload_2015-3-25_14-49-19.png

upload_2015-3-25_14-49-44.png

(charging my Nexus 7):
    upload_2015-3-25_14-49-54.png

9. ProWeb
    Donut Mar 25, 2015

ProWeb , Mar 25, 2015 :
    I could probably get this to work with my current case without too much modification... EXCEPT for the fact that the cable is coming out the wrong side and the charging receiver is facing the wrong direction... this means I not only need to find a way to get the wires to come out the opposite side, but also rotate around to flip the receiver.

Here's what it looks like on my Nexus 7 (same direction / location as the OPO):

upload_2015-3-25_15-5-43.png

I could attempt to whittle away at the plastic to get at the wires and fold / rotate them... but one wrong cut and it's game-over.