My comprehensive thoughts on the OnePlus 9 Pro.

1. Bongzerker
    Gingerbread Apr 11, 2021

Bongzerker , Apr 11, 2021 :
    There is a lot to like about this phone and I believe it’s probably the best US flagship 5G smartphone on the market currently. Build quality is excellent, the phone’s beautiful exterior is lovingly crafted with metal and glass, no cheap plastic materials. Specs are among the best of any Android smartphone and OnePlus has designed a new cooling system for the device to keep it cool.

Cameras are excellent, and this is coming from somebody who’s last phone was a Pixel device. I’ve owned previous OnePlus phones as well (OnePlus 7 Pro and OnePlus 8T) and the camera is in another league. Way less shutter lag that previous phones, clearer photos, excellent portrait mode, and support for 4k 120FPS video (which is stunning). Optical image stabilization works wonderfully as well. A minor grievance is that I don’t like the Hasselblad logo on the camera bump, I understand that the two companies have a partnership but I’m not a fan of excessive branding on my devices (especially if it’s from a partner company). It’s worth noting that Sony (not Hasselblad) actually supplies the camera sensors for this phone.

The phone supports 60w wired charging and is absurdly fast to charge. 15w EPP Qi charging and 50w proprietary wireless charging are also supported. Personally, I have no interest in the 50w proprietary wireless charger (it’s expensive and gets the phone quite toasty from what I’ve heard) but Qi support is a nice touch for people who enjoy using wireless charging as a mere supplement to wired charging or for the rare event that you have a mishap with your charging port. Battery life has been slightly better than I’ve experienced on previous OnePlus devices with 6 hours or more screen on time before I feel the need to plug in.

Device stability is good, I have not experienced any issues with bugs, overheating, or crashes. The underscreen fingerprint sensor works flawlessly every time (OnePlus has the best optical fingerprint readers in the industry as far as I’m concerned) and is very convenient. Sound from the phone’s speakers is loud and crisp. Haptic feedback feels good.

Despite this praise, the phone isn’t perfect. For one, it lacks a headphone (3.5mm audio) jack. I listen to a lot of music, especially in my truck which has a custom sound system. My previous phone, the Google Pixel XL, had a headphone jack and outputs clean audio. When I connected my new OnePlus 9 Pro to my truck’s stereo using Bluetooth it sounded TERRIBLE. Bluetooth simply does not have good enough sound quality to substitute for a wired connection. OnePlus should put a quality DAC in their next phones and bring the jack back like Sony does with their Xperia series of phones. I refuse to be gaslit and told that a headphone jack isn’t viable on a water resistant phone; Samsung built water resistant phones with jacks for years and Sony still does. The inability to use wired headphones is also very annoying. I understand that USB-C to 3.5mm adapters exist but USB-C passthrough audio quality very rarely matches a direct 3.5mm connection (in fact, poor sound quality through USB-C passthrough audio and Bluetooth is one of the reasons I returned a previous OnePlus phone, the 8T). I’m going to force myself to live with it because I don’t have much of a choice (can’t find any suitable alternative phones with a jack that would work well on my network) but I’m very unhappy about it and will continue noting this as a complaint whenever possible.

Another thing I dislike about the phone is the ugly hole punch camera. I can at least praise OnePlus for putting it in the top left corner rather than the center of the display (corner hole punches are always going to be better than centered ones) but I still hate looking at it. The screen is vibrant and beautiful to look at but every time I see the ugly black dot for the camera I’m a little disgusted. This is coming from the same company that made the OnePlus 7 Pro, a phone with a full edge-to-edge display with no interruptions, notches, or hole punches. Hole punch cameras are such a downgrade from bezel-mounted cameras and pop up cameras. They are terrible.

OnePlus’ Visual Voicemail still doesn’t work on Mint Mobile (hasn’t since at least the OnePlus 7 Pro) which is very frustrating, especially considering I’ve seen OnePlus phones for sale on their website before! I would really appreciate if this could be addressed sometime.

The phone does come with some bloatware. You have the typical Google stuff which I can mostly give a pass, but then you have a few other weird software quirks like the inability to uninstall the Netflix app. Now personally I use Netflix, but what if I didn’t? I wouldn’t want an app on my phone I don’t use. This is the problem with bloatware, it takes choices away from the customer. All this being said, OnePlus does allow the phone’s bootloader to be unlocked to if you want to root the phone or flash a custom ROM, you can. I really appreciate that functionality as it has become very rare on US model Android smartphones. More and more manufacturers have decided to lock their phones down and disallow customer tinkering. Thank you, OnePlus, for being a part of the solution rather than the problem.

My last concern is software support. While OnePlus may be better than some Android manufacturers when it comes to updates and continued product support, in recent years they have been slacking off. Browse the OnePlus subreddit or the OnePlus community forum and you’ll see tons of complaints from customers with phones less than 3 years old who have no longer been receiving timely security or OS updates. While I can’t say how good software support will be for the OnePlus 9 Pro yet, it is something I’m a bit worried about.

Overall, I think this is a great device if slightly flawed. If you need a US 5G Android flagship, don’t hesitate. Buy the OnePlus 9 Pro.

2. anesh007
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 11, 2021

3. McJader
    Lollipop Apr 11, 2021

McJader , Apr 11, 2021 :
    Great read, simple and easy to understand.

Tokolozi and Caoimhín like this.
  4. Bongzerker
    Gingerbread Apr 11, 2021

Bongzerker , Apr 11, 2021 :
    Maybe you just got a bad unit? I can say with confidence that the camera performance on my unit is very good.

5. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Apr 11, 2021

Tokolozi , Apr 11, 2021 :
    I think a lot of people just followed the words of early reviewers.

Looking at most actual real-world camera usage, I think the camera is certainly on par with many of it's competition. Just not overwhelmingly better.

Bobbie63, Caoimhín and McJader like this.
  6. Caoimhín
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Apr 12, 2021

Caoimhín , via OnePlus 6T , Apr 12, 2021 :
    It seems to be very divisive. This thread has 2 reviews, written and Video in a reply, which seem a bit more objective. Taking neither one side nor the other. There are pluses and minuses on both sides, however both phones a fairly comparable in these reviews.

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...say-much-better-than-some-people-say.1417623/

Bobbie63, McJader and Tokolozi like this.
  7. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Apr 12, 2021

Tokolozi , Apr 12, 2021 :
    Exactly, I think people were expecting to be blown away. While in fact OP just did a huge game of catch-up so far.

Bobbie63, McJader and Caoimhín like this.
  8. Caoimhín

True. And apparently, after reading many reviews, I am of the impression that they have pretty much matched the Galaxy phones in the camera dept. In fairness that's a big leap from 8 series phones. And I am sure there will be software & processing improvements over time.

Even the Galaxy has its issues in certain areas. As do every other manufacturers phones. So I suppose it can be very subjective, depending on how people approach the subject.

Bobbie63, Nipu_1998 and Tokolozi like this.
  9. Tokolozi

Exactly, the main issue (as usual) was over-hype if you ask me.

Bobbie63, Nipu_1998 and Caoimhín like this.
  10. Caoimhín

I can see why though, because they improved the camera quite a bit. But then expectations and results will always differ most of the time.

Bobbie63, Nipu_1998 and Tokolozi like this.
  11. The fraggle
    Honeycomb Apr 12, 2021

The fraggle , Apr 12, 2021 :
    Stop posting this. You post the same thing everywhere you possibly can. Nobody is interested in reading the same post over and over again

12. Tokolozi

I'm beginning to think, he doesn't even have the device!

13. G1557234534945
    Cupcake Apr 28, 2021

G1557234534945 , Apr 28, 2021 :
    No headphone jack is a deal-killer for me. What is wrong with these people. Tech service guy lied to me and said one plus 9 pro had headphone jack. its. over. as harry nilsson said.

14. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Apr 28, 2021

Tokolozi , Apr 28, 2021 :
    Sorry to say, but the spec sheet, and all the pictures of the device show it doesn't have one.

Caoimhín likes this.