My Experience with Oxygen OS 2.2.0 so far. A Simple man's review.

?

Which Version of Oxygen OS according to you is the best?

1. 2.2.0

70.2%
  2. 2.1.2

17.7%
  3. 2.1.1

12.1%
  1. Akshat2793
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 22, 2015

Akshat2793 , Dec 22, 2015 :
    (Battery Stats have been Updated) Update: - New Battery Stats Coming Up! Third Day of testing the Battery life. Results Declared! Scroll Below!!

Thread Updated! You can also find the Lists of Bugs in OxygenOS 2.2.0 here !!

The update has not been released in India at the time of making this thread. I wasn't patient enough to wait for the OTA, So I went ahead & downloaded Droid VPN from the Google Play Store, Set the server to Netherlands (6) and instantly got the update on my phone. After updating my phone, I went ahead and wiped the cache from the Recovery.

This is a review Targeted towards a Specific Audience who does not care about applications like Benchmarks & CPU Z.

People can also post the bugs they are facing on v.2.2.0 !!

And, for the people who think I'm a OnePlus Fanboy. Nope, I am not. Let's Get Started.

UPDATE 1: - Wifi Calling feature isn't available in India as of now, so guys don't panic when it shows "Failed to set WiFi Calling Preferences".

UPDATE 2: - 1) EDIT: - Screen Flickering Issue is still present when using Adaptive Brightness. Transition from Low Brightness to High and vice versa is not smooth.
    2) Camera Flash & Battery Saver Mode are working fine.
    3) Call quality is good.., just like it was on v.2.1.2

UPDATE 3: - Static noise from the Headphone Jack is now gone. I currently use Sennheiser CX 400 and Sony MDR XB 450 earphones and headphones respectively, and I don't hear any static noise like I used to on v.2.1.2 !!
    EDIT: - I did hear some Static noise while listening to music on Sennheiser CX 400. So, I guess they haven't fixed it yet.

UPDATE 4:- LTE and 3G is working. (If it isn't working for you, Wipe Cache from the Recovery)

BUGS I'VE ENCOUNTERED SO FAR: -
    (And also Bugs reported by people)

1) It's takes much more time to charge now. :(

2) Google search bar on the home screen is broken. Sometimes it shows the whole bar and sometimes it just shows a "G".

3) During Multitasking, back button takes me back to the Home screen instead of the Application.

4) Battery life has taken a hit in this Update Unfortunately. Media Server seems to be the Culprit.

5) Bugs in the File Manager App. Unable to delete multiple files at once.

6) Battery needs to be Calibrated.

7) In Contacts app last name is displayed first even though when the setting is changed to "First name first".

8) Screen Flickering is still present when using Adaptive brightness.

9) Double Tap to wake gesture doesn't work all the time.

10) Static noise from the Headphone Jack can still be heard.

11) The App drawer Button lags a bit. Credits to @pratik4743

12) Swiftkey keyboard is also lagging. Credits to @pratik4743

GAMING: -

Before v.2.2.0 - 15 mins into Asphalt 8, Real Racing 3, they used to lag badly. Ruining the whole experience.

After - Played Asphalt 8 and Real Racing 3 for 20 mins, minor lag. Yes, there is lag but not enough lag to ruin the whole gaming experience. So, yes there has been some minor improvements in the gaming department. So, I am assuming, those a57 cores are finally getting activated during gaming.

HEATING ISSUE: -

Before v.2.2.0 - Never came across overheating. It Used to get slightly warm though

After - Same, no overheating. Gets slightly warm if using it for Prolonged periods of time.

Also my Phone is rocking a Spigen Rugged Armour Case, so I don't notice/ feel much heat.

If you're interested in this case, I've provided some links below. You can check them out.

Links: - http://www.spigen.com/products/oneplus-2-case-rugged-armor

http://www.amazon.in/Spigen-OnePlus-Cover-Rugged-SGP11767/dp/B014Q59WIA

Speaker / Maxx Audio/ Audio Tuner:-

Before v.2.2.0 - No problems with the speaker except Maxx Audio/ Audio Tuner is a bit buggy.

After - Same. No improvements in Maxx Audio.

CAMERA: - ( Auto Rotation in Camera is now working)

Before v.2.2.0 - While shooting a video, the focus used to go haywire. OIS never worked. Although, there was no problem while capturing a picture.

After - You'll be happy to know that the video camera is now stable, no focussing issues whatsoever and Optical Image Stabilization works perfectly. Also there are some Minor UX/ UI changes in the camera, so check it out.

Holiday Wallpapers are okay-ish. Not that great. Again, it just my opinion. You guys might like it?!

SCREEN TEMPERATURE option in the Notification Toggle: - Honestly, I didn't see any difference in the Color temperature when sliding the Contrast Slider from Left to right and vice versa.

Bluetooth: - Bluetooth is working fine for me. Although some people are reporting that it is partially working.

Did not face any lag while Scrolling, Browsing, Watching Videos.

Applications such as Snapchat, Facebook, Facebook Messenger work.
    If some of those Applications don't work or crash on your phone, do let us know in the comment section. I'm sure someone will come up with a Solution!

Battery life: - (Sigh)

Screenshot_2015-12-23-01-32-02.png Screenshot_2015-12-23-01-32-39.png Screenshot_2015-12-23-01-32-31.png Screenshot_2015-12-23-01-32-23.png Screenshot_2015-12-23-01-32-14.png

As you can see the Battery Life on 2.2.0 is quite bad. Media Server seems to be the culprit. If you guys have any solution to this problem, Kindly let me know!

UPDATE: - Second day of testing the battery life on v.2.2.0. I was able to get Maximum of (4 hours of Screen on time). Media server is definitely draining the battery. Deleted Spotify and the Battery drain reduced.

UPDATE 2: - (25th December) Just did a Factory Reset. Will let you know if there are any improvements in the Battery Life.

UPDATE 3: - (26th December) Second Day of testing the Battery Life and here are the Results!

Screenshot_2015-12-26-11-58-22.png Screenshot_2015-12-26-11-58-34.png Screenshot_2015-12-26-11-58-44.png Screenshot_2015-12-26-11-58-53.png Screenshot_2015-12-26-11-58-16.png

As you can see
    Media Server still drains battery when using apps like YouTube. Android OS also consumes a lot of battery.

UPDATE 4: -
    (27th December) Third Day of Testing the Battery Life and here are the results!!

Screenshot_2015-12-27-02-26-06.png Screenshot_2015-12-27-02-26-15.png Screenshot_2015-12-27-02-26-44.png

Improvement! I performed a series of steps before. All these steps are for people who are facing Media Server Battery Drain Issue.

Solution: - Clear the Cache from the Recovery. Factory Reset the phone. Set it up as a new device. Go to Settings - Apps - All Apps - Locate Media Storage - Force Close the Media Storage - Clear Cache & Data - Disable the app - Reboot Phone - Go back to the Settings - Apps - Enable Media Storage from the Disabled App Section - Reboot Phone Again.

@Helen Can you and your team, kindly look into this issue?

Touch Sensitivity during charging issue has been fixed. Works fine now.

Also people who are complaining about WiFi not working, I'm not facing any such issues.

Fingerprint sensor is working fine. It's not lightning fast like Nexus Imprint but gets the Job done!!

No improvements in the Sound Quality via the Headphone Jack or the Speaker!

So, there you go, this is most stable Oxygen OS rom in my opinion, Quite happy!! Do let me know, what you think about Oxygen OS v.2.2.0. Peace!! :) ;)

Thanks to Helen and the Entire OnePlus Oxygen team for providing us with this Update!

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/oxygenos-2-2-0-rollout-is-starting.418730/

OTA_Forum.png

Happy New Year guys! :)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016

stefan_ddorf, a-serag, noxif and 55 others like this.
  2. Marijuanainc

Marijuanainc , Dec 22, 2015 :
    I don't like oxygen os 2.2.0 that much. Still lagging a bit even after a reset and reflash. I like skydragon the most for my rom

3. Akshat2793

Whatever floats your boat mate.

4. Marijuanainc

Marijuanainc , Dec 22, 2015 :
    Try skydragon and compare the two.

5. ToInsanityAndBeyond
    Gingerbread Dec 22, 2015

ToInsanityAndBeyond , Dec 22, 2015 :
    Hey Akshat thanks for the review. Is the Screen-flickering issue fixed? My OPT's screen gets suddenly dull/bright while usage and I have turned off the adaptive brightness. That's the most annoying bug that my phone has.

Akshat2793 likes this.
  6. nh_opu
    Froyo Dec 22, 2015

nh_opu , Dec 22, 2015 :
    When i flash full zip, my google account cause some problems, playstore didnt work well, cant send text mssg also.. what should i do if i face the same prblm after flashing the new zip.

7. NaterTots
    Jelly Bean Dec 22, 2015

benluca likes this.
  8. ToInsanityAndBeyond
    Gingerbread Dec 22, 2015

Try clearing cache/dalvik cache from Recovery. If the 2.2.0 is too buggy, roll back to 2.1.2

Akshat2793 likes this.
  9. Akshat2793

Hey, the first thread i posted, the title was wrong. So, i posted again with the correct title. Show your lame sarcasm to someone else.

10. Akshat2793

Testing that bro, so far no problems.

rayala_pavan likes this.
  11. Akshat2793

I ain't trying anything bro. I am happy with stock. I am not much into flashing and stuff. Anyways, Thanks for the suggestion!! :)

12. ToInsanityAndBeyond
    Gingerbread Dec 22, 2015

Thanks mate. Let me know if you encounter that or any other issues. I'll wait till it releases in India because that will give me the time to decide if I want to update. My priority issue is the Screen flickering.

13. matt_simpson

14. ToInsanityAndBeyond
    Gingerbread Dec 22, 2015

I've heard that it requires about 15~20 minutes to settle down after the update, until that, it lags a lot. Is it true?

ankitdsouza and matt_simpson like this.
  15. jkb114
    Lollipop Dec 22, 2015

jkb114 , Dec 22, 2015 :
    My device seems to be running a bit quicker since the update. The sim selection bug is fixed, the camera works better (quicker, OIS working). Just overall a good update, not had a single problem as of yet.

16. Akshat2793

Yes it does.

matt_simpson likes this.
  17. Akshat2793

It may take 2 - 3 minutes to settle down. 15 - 20 minutes is too much. Also do, clear cache from recovery right after you've updated it to 2.2.0

18. ebadillo
    Honeycomb Dec 22, 2015

ebadillo , Dec 22, 2015 :
    I have yet to test OIS and focusing on video, but I hightly doubt those are fixed. Will come back and confirm.

That is false, 100% false. it STILL does not send "recent activity" to parrot devices (and provably so many others). I still have to test outgoing calls, as OPT was NOt sending the audio through BT either. Had to ask them to call you.

19. jkb114
    Lollipop Dec 22, 2015

jkb114 , Dec 22, 2015 :
    That's a rather cynical view

20. Bharath HT
    KitKat Dec 22, 2015

Bharath HT , Dec 22, 2015 :
    Good to know OIS works better now.
    Nice review:)

rules_broken, aenews and Akshat2793 like this.