My Findings of the 5 Ghz Wifi Connection Issue

1. cnl1203
    Eclair May 2, 2020

cnl1203 , May 2, 2020 :
    Hi All,

I would like to create this thread to share my progress about the various issues that many users have been experiencing, in regards to the 5 Ghz Wifi issue. This may or may not fix your 5 Ghz Wifi issue, but for now, it has resolved mine.

Ever since I had my OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue for about a week now, I've been experiencing non-stop 5 Ghz Wifi problems to my router, even after updating to the 10.5.5 Oxygen OS. Now I've been lucky to be able to sustain a 5 Ghz connection to my Wifi router, ASUS RT-AX58U, for more than 3 hours now, which is a record for me, as before it would drop the 5 GHz within minutes to 1 hour, even though the OnePlus 8 Pro keeps displaying that the "Signal Strength" is Excellent.

Please note: I am sitting in my room, I have 2 walls to my router, I am approximately 3 meters from the router, with a -55 dBm connection ( the closer the number to "0" the better, in reality -30 dBm is the best you'll likely get standing next to your Router for Wifi, but recommended -65 dBm and no more than -70 dBm for a good stable connection.) (You can use Wifi Analyzer App to see how your Wifi connection is to your router). I did make other personal changes to the settings of my preferences, but did not know that it would lead to the cause of the problem.

upload_2020-5-1_14-56-55.png

My previous smartphone never had an issue maintaining a consistent 5 GHz connection to my Wifi router, which led me to believe that this was a smartphone (hardware/software) problem. Routers can definitely give devices problems, especially 'legacy devices', but since the OnePlus 8 Pro is on Wifi 6, I would like to believe there wouldn't be an issue.

Attempts for a Solution but Unsuccessful:
    1. Settings - > Wi-Fi & network -> "SSID Connected Wifi" -> "Advanced"-> Set Privacy to "Use Device MAC".

2. Settings - > Wi-Fi & network -> "SSID Connected Wifi" -> "Advanced" -> Select "Pencil icon" and chance IP address to Static.

3. Settings - > Wi-Fi & network -> Dual-channel network acceleration -> testing both "Intelligent network connection" and "Dual-channel download acceleration" off, on, simultaneously on and off.

4. Settings -> System -> Reset options -> Reset WiFi, mobile & bluetooth.

5. Settings -> System -> Reset options -> Reset app preferences.

6. Settings -> Battery -> Battery Optimization -> "..." -> Advanced optimization -> Turn off "Sleep standby optimization".

7. Settings -> System -> Developer options (must be enabled by going to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap Build Number "!" 5 Times) -> Disabling/Enabling each one at a time, all at the same time, and off at the same time: "Wi-Fi scan throttling", "Mobile data always active", "App WiFi Multi/Broadcaster Filter", "Tethering hardware acceleration".

8. I even went into the Settings -> Display and made changes in there as well, but did not affect anything, as it shouldn't.

9. Worse case scenario, perform a Factory reset.

Solution:
    I noticed that my phone kept displaying something for about 1 second, when my phone was locked and when I pressed the right side button for the "lock". Then after that 1 second, it would display what I would see normally, which is the Time and Date, with the Fingerprint at the bottom.

So I decided to record my actions and found that it was this, the "Pocket mode".

upload_2020-5-1_16-29-36.png

Ever since I disabled this feature in the OnePlus 8 Pro, Settings -> Utilities -> Pocket mode "off", my connection has been able to hold a 5 GHz speed. I did notice that if I performed a 1080P streaming video from YouTube or scrolling down Facebook very quickly, my connection to the router would drop to the last 5 GHz bar, but would not reset the connection as it did constantly before, which eventually led to my Download speed to around 50 to 5 Mbps, with an average of 15 Mbps, which is extremely slow by today's standards.

upload_2020-5-1_16-21-50.png

Now I am able to hold a stable WiFi connection speed without any problems. Hopefully this "Pocket mode" issue can be resolved in the next update.

Also, as I was writing this post, OnePlus just released the latest update: 10.5.6. I will be testing the Pocket Mode feature once more to see if this Update has alleviated the problem.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2020

2. Khai Nguyen
    Gingerbread May 2, 2020

Khai Nguyen , May 2, 2020 :
    Nice finding! I will try that. Thanks
    Edit: I think that fixed the problem!! The speed is still slower than other devices but it doesn't disconnect anymore.
    I think you should change the tile to "Potential fix for 5ghz wifi problem" so that it draws more attentions

Last edited: May 2, 2020

GodTamIt and cnl1203 like this.
  3. cnl1203
    Eclair May 2, 2020

cnl1203 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 2, 2020 :
    Happy to hear that this also helped you as well. I would like to update the subject title, but doesn't seem like I'm able to.

4. Khai Nguyen
    Gingerbread May 3, 2020

Khai Nguyen , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 3, 2020 :
    it didn't fix the problem :( it still disconnects

5. cnl1203
    Eclair May 4, 2020

cnl1203 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 4, 2020 :
    That's sad to hear. Seems to still be a random issue. So far the update has somewhat helped stabilize the issue, but not resolve the issue completely. The recent update has forced the Wifi on the OnePlus 8 Pro to disconnect and reconnect multiple times, about 3 times, until the connection is stable on the 5 GHz, which is a little better in my opinion because before it stay "connected" with 5 GHz when I was actually receiving 2.4 GHz. Hopefully OnePlus can release another update to resolve this issue.

6. ray1002
    Eclair May 4, 2020

ray1002 , May 4, 2020 :
    Wow, first of all nice that you found that!
    But you are able to find 5GHz networks as I read it? Because my OP 8 Pro can't find my 5GHz network as well as other 5GHz which my 5T does find...

There isn't a solution for that I suppose?

7. cnl1203
    Eclair May 5, 2020

cnl1203 , May 5, 2020 :
    Luckily I was able to do so, but I'm still having some issues today with no consistency. Hope OnePlus can release another update after the 10.5.6 to resolve the 5 GHz issue.

Caomhin and ray1002 like this.
  8. cnl1203
    Eclair May 10, 2020

cnl1203 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 10, 2020 :
    Update:

After trying various routers, router wifi settings, and OnePlus 8 pro wireless settings, I have found that you will have to separate the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz to its own dedicated SSID. Likely some routers are affected by this because it's not unable to recognize this new smartphone's best connection. After splitting my router into 2 separate connections, my OnePlus 8 Pro is now able to connect to my 5 GHz connection throughout my home with very fast speeds at or up to 1200mpbs to the router and use my internet's max internet speed at 200+ mbps for about a week now without any hickups. Also, when I'm too far, outside, from the 5 GHz, my OnePlus 8 Pro will auto connect to my router's 2.4 GHz connection.

Last edited: May 10, 2020

Caomhin likes this.
  9. Khai Nguyen
    Gingerbread May 16, 2020

Khai Nguyen , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 16, 2020 :
    updated mine to 10.5.8 and speed is faster and more stable.

cnl1203 likes this.
  10. M1577859479309
    Cupcake May 21, 2020

11. Khai Nguyen
    Gingerbread Jun 6, 2020

12. BenRees2121
    Donut Jun 6, 2020

BenRees2121 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jun 6, 2020 :
    I also have been having issues with 5Ghz WiFi. The connection is stable but whenever I try to upload something over WhatsApp, Facebook etc it gets halfway and don't finish, I then connect to the 2.4ghz network and the upload finishes straight away..... cannot for the life of me find any solution, I've tried so many different things....🤔

13. Shahreyar95
    Honeycomb Jul 9, 2020

14. samw51977
    Cupcake Jul 16, 2020

samw51977 , Jul 16, 2020 :
    +1 on 8 Pro. I'm also running an Asus Router (RT-AC88u) with Merlin fw. I have both 2.4 and 5 on the same SSID with band steering handled by the router.

What's interesting however is that it will not disconnect me but when on the 5Ghz connection speeds becomes abysmal after a few hours. Switching to 2.4Ghz and everything is fine.

I did try some of the suggestions in this post outside of splitting my 2.4 and 5 since I have too many clients.

Also tried as a test on a dedicated "guest" 5Ghz ssid and same result, performance would be piss poor.

Not sure if compatibility issue with Asus but it's a bit disappointing on a $1000 device!

15. gaganpreet1997
    Cupcake Jul 22, 2020

gaganpreet1997 , Jul 22, 2020 :
    I'm also facing the same issue with OnePlus 7T Pro.
    Wifi disconnects and reconnects after every 10 mins.

Is there any possible fix?

16. Abhishek_Singh_2
    Gingerbread Aug 13, 2020

Abhishek_Singh_2 , via OnePlus 6T , Aug 13, 2020 :
    Same here in 6T

17. ahanssenmn
    Cupcake Aug 13, 2020

ahanssenmn , Aug 13, 2020 :
    Just bringing more heat to this issue as it's driving me nuts. When I had previous OnePlus devices, I accepted these kinds of things because of the price. Now that this is on par with flagships for over $1000 I expect perfect performance. I've messed with all the settings on my network and no good. Also tried the pocket detection fix to no avail. I'm also on an Asus router, I don't know why that would matter, but quite frustrating. Goes from 200mbps to like 15mbps when it acts up.

Abhishek_Singh_2 likes this.
  18. ashwin.suresh98
    Cupcake Sep 3, 2020

ashwin.suresh98 , via OnePlus Nord , Sep 3, 2020 :
    My Nord device keeps disconnecting and reconnecting automatically from the 5Ghz Wifi band while gaming. This is not happening while using other apps and other wifi band width.

Tried resetting network and wifi settings and also tried resetting the app preferrences. Still not resolved.

Does anyone else face the same issue. Looking for a solution on this. Please help!!

L1596661167588 likes this.
  19. ashwin.suresh98
    Cupcake Sep 3, 2020

ashwin.suresh98 , via OnePlus Nord , Sep 3, 2020 :
    After trying everything finally I factory reset my phone still facing the same issue.

20. Abhishek_Singh_2
    Gingerbread Sep 4, 2020