My Hands-on Experience: 25R vs 33R

1. godzakka
    Froyo Oct 1, 2014

godzakka , Oct 1, 2014 :
    I'm sure many threads have already been created, but I wanted to provide my hands-on experience using the OnePlus with both CM11S -25R and -33R ROMs.

I used 25R for a few weeks to a month before updating to 33R. I then used 33R for several months. This is my story.

25R

Battery Life

My OnePlus arrived with -25R out of the box. I was amazed with the long battery life, up to 2 1/2 days with light usage, well over 1 1/2 days with heavy, and typically around 2 days with normal usage.

Signal

The signal in my office, often known for it's lack of signal, was excellent. Though the signal never read "LTE," I viewed the "4G" as being equivalent.

Issues

I actually experienced none of the supposed issues with the flashlight turning on in a pocket, or anything else. I considered myself lucky, and happy.

33R

After hearing so much about the -30O update being terrible, I decided to wait until the next OTA was delivered. Once several brave souls updated to 33R and confirmed it was much better, I took the leap.

I wish I hadn't.

Battery Life

My OnePlus now, at best, using almost zero screen time, got at best 2 days of battery life, but usually more like 1 1/2. I attribute this to two things: the proximity sensor, which as I understand it is more active to prevent accidental flashlight activation, and secondly to bad signal.

Signal

Besides draining the battery faster, I also noticed that when I moved from a period with no signal (mostly at my office desk area) back to the "real world," my phone would report it could see the signal, but until I put it into airplane mode and/or rebooted, I could not connect to anything.

The OnePlus now reported "LTE" instead of "4G," but everything else was disappointing.

Issues

Amazingly I now encountered more issues. I had phantom touches, where slight movements on keyboards such as SwiftKey caused one or two additional words to type out, and then caused me extra key-strokes to remove them and start over. I had constant issues with Pandora not connecting, often separate from the signal issues mentioned above; I would be listening, but the next song wouldn't start even though I could do anything else that needed a connection.

-------------------------------------------

Overall, I was just very unhappy, unsatisfied, and yearned to go back to 25R.

I unlocked the bootloader and reloaded 25R, which was a pain waiting for the half-dozen downloads (ROM, TWRP, SDK software, ADB drivers, Java Development Kit, and maybe one or two other things I'm missing).

25R, again

Now that I'm back on 25R, my battery is already back to the long-life I was accustomed to. My signal is back even at work. I haven't experienced any issues.

The lesson is: it's a pain in the butt to go back to a previous ROM - especially if you're a busy person and don't have much personal computer time - but in this case it's worth it. If you've been suffering with -33R, I and miss 25R, I highly suggest going backwards.

tyler539, fazEp, blazzeek and 17 others like this.
  2. deuse
    Jelly Bean Oct 1, 2014

deuse , Oct 1, 2014 :
    We already know this. That's why we are waiting for a update to fix it all. Oh and welcome to last month.

xf4d3 likes this.
  3. Rishi_M
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 1, 2014

4. sevillaleman
    Gingerbread Oct 1, 2014

5. amartens181
    KitKat Oct 1, 2014

locklear308, Arrjaan and xf4d3 like this.
  6. xf4d3

xf4d3 , Oct 1, 2014 :
    Never settle for going back, Allways go forward.

Hopefully CM learnd some thing with the two updates that messed up the phone.

7. amorosa
    Honeycomb Oct 1, 2014

amorosa , Oct 1, 2014 :
    I installed the 33R 10 Minutes after the release if it. One day later i was back on 25R and i will keept it. Its more stable. I agree with you @godzakka

8. amorosa
    Honeycomb Oct 1, 2014

amorosa , Oct 1, 2014 :
    But i had to install the Modem of the 30o ROM :-D. It offers a better signal for me

9. sciidave
    Honeycomb Oct 1, 2014

sciidave , Oct 1, 2014 :
    Does anyone know if the newer OPOs ship with the latest ROM? I literally just ordered mine and I would like 25 from the sounds of it lol.

10. risky1301
    Lollipop Oct 1, 2014

risky1301 , Oct 1, 2014 :
    Yup I did the same, I went to 30O and hated it. Now I'm back on 25r, I will wait to get positive feedback from the members of the forum before updating again!

amorosa likes this.
  11. GallantJR

GallantJR , Oct 1, 2014 :
    Still waitng 36 or 38R before upgrading from 25R ;)

Thanks !

amorosa and risky1301 like this.
  12. amorosa
    Honeycomb Oct 1, 2014

GallantJR likes this.
  13. Statos
    Froyo Oct 1, 2014

Statos , Oct 1, 2014 :
    Man this is what I wanted to hear. I never tried out 25r I just updated to 33R when I got the phone so I will try to go back to 25R and see if my signal gets better.

amorosa likes this.
  14. sterval
    Eclair Oct 1, 2014

sterval , Oct 1, 2014 :
    I would like to know that too!

15. GallantJR

GallantJR , Oct 1, 2014 :
    DOnt think so ... got one last week did come with 22R

sterval likes this.
  16. amorosa
    Honeycomb Oct 1, 2014

amorosa , Oct 1, 2014 :
    22R ? Its very good ! So when you become it make instantly the update to the 25R, then make a factory reset and be happy :)

17. Michael156

Michael156 , Oct 1, 2014 :
    It'll likely ship with the original version and then ask you to update. However another update is expected within a week so hopefully this will be an improvement upon what we've seen so far

sciidave likes this.
  18. msbusybee
    Eclair Oct 1, 2014

msbusybee , Oct 1, 2014 :
    Thanks for this thread. It's very useful information once I receive my OPO.

19. dbamaro
    Froyo Oct 1, 2014

20. sciidave
    Honeycomb Oct 1, 2014

sciidave , Oct 1, 2014 :
    Thanks! I still would like a definite answer but hey #firstworldproblems

upen3293 likes this.