My homemade oak swapcover

1. kadowson
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 2, 2015

kadowson , Mar 2, 2015 :
    It's been suggested that I post a step-by-step on how I made my wooden swapcover. So here goes:

The idea originally started when I found an old oak panel that was planed down to the approximate thickness of a swap cover. I've seen the pics of walnut covers once doing a google image search. I guess Oneplus scrapped the idea of wood covers but I had some time on my hands so I thought I'd give making my own a go. Keep in mind that I'm no professional wood worker nor do I have the best tools for this project so it was just what I had on hand to use.

I traced my sandstone cover onto the panel and used a jigsaw to cut it out.

Rough cut.jpg

It's rough, but close to size. I have an old stained glass grinder that I used to take it down to the actual size.I know, I know, but it worked and with a little more shaping I had the general look.

shaped.jpg

Now that I had it to size, time to start gouging out the inners. I started with my wood chisels but wasn't getting anywhere fast with those so out came the Dremel. I traced a line less than 1/8 inch from the outside edge and started taking out the inside.

Gouge.jpg

Just started....keep going!

Better gouge.jpg

Ok, looking better. Now, the reason I left the thickness on the outer edge was for the "tabs" that hold the cover on to the phone. I knew I'd have to let them stay thick and grind the rest away from the tabs.

Tabs.jpg

These are the tabs I'm referring to. I lined up the covers and marked the locations where I need to leave some thickness.

Marks.jpg

Bad pic but you can see the marks. Ok, start gouging the sides.

edge gouge.jpg

Dremel again for the win. After I got them all cut out, I used an exacto knife to get the tabs to size and started taking the edges down to the thickness of the plastic cover. This part took the most patience. One slip and start all over.

Still rough.jpg

Still rough but getting close...close enough that I decided to cut out for the camera so I could start trying the fit. :)

I shaved the whole thing as thin as I could a little at a time, cut the tabs down to final size, and finished the camera hole.

Thin.jpg

Not sure if you can tell how thin it is on the camera hole but this thing is super light an seems fragile, but it fits nice and snug.

final.jpg

I was afraid the tabs wouldn't hold it right but I still have to use the earbud jack and a guitar pick to remove the cover so it's all good. This is as far as I am at the moment. I still need to cut out for the volume/power buttons, figure out the antennae and nfc placement, and stain/varnish for the dark look. I have Minwax mahogany stain that I'll be using and Formby's (low gloss) tung oil. I'll update as time allows me to resume on this.

2. JazzyMallan
    Gingerbread Mar 2, 2015

3. sbumeder
    Jelly Bean Mar 2, 2015

iTrollz, nitish1990, Reus and 2 others like this.
  4. Ivanpoocky13
    KitKat Mar 2, 2015

iTrollz, tEf0o, Reus and 3 others like this.
  5. udefo
    Honeycomb Mar 2, 2015

kadowson and sbumeder like this.
  6. Majinferno

Majinferno , Mar 2, 2015 :
    I would love to do something like this. Knowing my craftsman skills, it'd probably end up looking like ya boy plank though :(
    [​IMG]

7. kadowson

kadowson , Mar 2, 2015 :
    I've been thinking about the Oneplus logo and I think I'm going to try to devise some kind of cattle brand type thing to burn the logo on. Just haven't come up with what to use for that. I already told my wife that I'm not doing any more of these things...they had my nerves all frazzled! :eek:

Reus, qibhom, Ceasedd and 1 other person like this.
  8. EpicSwirly
    Mar 2, 2015

Reus and kadowson like this.
  9. zulf91
    Jelly Bean Mar 2, 2015

10. takeabyte

iTrollz, Reus and kadowson like this.
  11. vinay.k.21
    Jelly Bean Mar 2, 2015

12. Majinferno

Majinferno , Mar 2, 2015 :
    If you contact Dbrand Skins, they'll let you order a sticker for the logo. I recall someone on the forums doing it.

13. anayahiren

kadowson likes this.
  14. CasperTFG
    KitKat Mar 2, 2015

CasperTFG , Mar 2, 2015 :
    Great job. Sad that we customers need to resort to these maneuvers when OnePlus should have kept their commitment to sell all the styleswaps.

kadowson likes this.
  15. krusade
    Jelly Bean Mar 2, 2015

hegyestomi and kadowson like this.
  16. Baymax
    Marshmallow Mar 2, 2015

Baymax , Mar 2, 2015 :

fite, hegyestomi, Nyan_ and 1 other person like this.
  17. Jael Pendragon
    KitKat Mar 2, 2015

kadowson likes this.
  18. njw2419
    Honeycomb Mar 2, 2015

hegyestomi, STRichard and kadowson like this.
  19. kadowson

kadowson , Mar 2, 2015 :
    I know, right. It would have been so much easier to just buy one...namely the mahogany. It was fun when it all came together though. Like I said, I still have a lot of work to do. Thinking bout making oak volume and power buttons, but that may prove too much tiny work for my fat fingers.

Jael Pendragon likes this.
  20. SuperTacoMonkeyExplosion

Ceasedd and kadowson like this.