My homemade tripod mount

1. kadowson
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 19, 2015

kadowson , Mar 19, 2015 :
    I found out recently that due to a huge magnetic storm, there might be a chance to witness the northern lights here in the central U.S. so I decided to try my hand at a timelapse of the event with my OPO.
    I went to the hardware store and bought a small piece of flat stock metal, a magnet, and a bolt and nut to attach them together. My car has a Scosche magnetic mount so I already had the metal plate attached to my phone cover.
    OPO.jpg

I attached the magnet to the flat stock with a lock nut so it would stay nice and tight. I had to cut the bolt down a bit so it would be slightly recessed below the magnet. I didn't want the metal part of the magnet housing scarring up my cover so I added a piece of green felt with some 5 minute epoxy to the magnet. When it had ample dying time, I placed my phone on the mount and it held, but wanted to turn on the magnet because of the felt so I added another plastic bar just for the phone to rest on and hold it nice and level. For added protection, I put a strip of felt on the plastic support.
    Stand1.jpg

The whole mount attached to the tripod on the pan handle tightening bolt. I put an extra lock washer on the bolt to keep it from coming lose. It ended up being nice and solid. The pic below is the back side. I may end up cutting the bolt off at some point but it doesn't bother me right now.
    Stand back.jpg

My phone sets on the mount super easy and solid and makes taking steady photos/video possible again.
    OPOStand.jpg

I tilted the mount to show that it "hangs on" really securely in the pic below.
    StandMag.jpg

I was in a hurry making this so I didn't do a step by step on it but it's pretty self explanatory and an easy, cheap mount on the fly. I spent about $7.50 for the flat stock, magnet, and the nut/bolt to attach the magnet to the flat stock. The piece of plastic I used for the "phone rest" is the alignment piece off of a paper cutter that I never used like the one in the pic below.
    sheer.jpg
    Overall an easy quick way to hold my OPO for my timelapse project...and other photos and videos in the future.
    By the way, I stayed up until 3 a.m. waiting for the chance to catch the aurora borealis and never saw anything....:oops: Oh well.

paulissimo and Reus like this.
  2. Reus
    Jelly Bean Mar 19, 2015

Reus , Mar 19, 2015 :
    Nice work, mate! Don't forget to post some aurora pics and vids here. Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015

kadowson likes this.
  3. kadowson
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 19, 2015

kadowson , Mar 19, 2015 :
    I wish I could but I didn't get any. I guess I live too far south to see it. There are some really nice pics that were taken from about 200-300 miles north of me by some luck photographers, but none for me. Here's a link to the activity from the last few days:
    http://spaceweathergallery.com/aurora_gallery.html