My Issues/Suggestions about OnePlus Watch

1. Luq07
    Froyo May 26, 2021

Luq07 , May 26, 2021 :
    Background: Besides my OnePlus Watch, I own a Fitbit Surge, Huawei Watch (1st gen) and a Withings Steel HR. So I think I'm kind of qualified to complain. Out of all of them, the Withings is the most comfortable and easiest to use.

I use my watch exclusively with my OnePlus 8T which has the latest software. My watch software is W301GB_11B.49

My issues/suggestions:
    1. Lack of sensitivity when moving. The OnePlus doesn't pick up my walking around the house and only picks up longer walks. I can look at my phone in my pocket and it will say I took 81 steps. My watch won't record any.
    2. GPS lock takes forever. When cycling, it doesn't automatically pick up that I'm in a workout (Fitbit/Huawei will do so).
    3. The Health App doesn't have the same list of workouts as the watch does and I can't make any workout my "default". I don't run or walk, I cycle outdoors. Those are the only two options in the app.
    4. Lift to view requires me to actually "lift" my whole arm most of the time. I can't flick my wrist (Huawei watch) and have the screen come on. That would be a great feature.
    5. Do not disturb turns off the watch completely and lift to view doesn't work. This means if I wake up in the middle of the night and want to view the time, I have to press buttons. A wrist flick would be helpful here as well.
    6. Tap to wake on the screen would be nice feature. I often find myself tapping the screen to turn it on, only to realize I actually have to press a button.
    7. The hearbeat monitor which I have always active also doesn't trigger a workout notification. If my heartbeat goes from resting heart rate to over 100+ beats/minute it should trigger some sort of workout or at least a notification. It doesn't do anything.
    8. Lack of integration with any other workout apps. RideWithGPS, Strava and all the other workout apps that are usually used are missing. If you aren't going to integrate, please provide some method of exporting workout data. Heart rate, maps, etc.
    9. The workout data in the health app is lacking features such as the same workouts as the watch or GPS/maps info for other workouts
    10. I'd love to make it my default workout so when I set Function button to Workout, that's what starts up not the list of workout types.
    11. Sleep data that is transferred to Google fit isn't the same as data in health app. For example, today my sleep shows on the watch that I slept from midnight to 8:30am. The Google fit app shows sleep from midnight to 5am. then from 8:00am to 8:32am.
    12. SpO2 doesn't record my complete sleep cycle. I've noticed it only records for a few hours then stops. Last night it was between 12:21am and 4:13am. There is no data after that.
    [EDIT]
    13. I wish the watch had Fall detection. As a cyclist, I've fallen more than once. Luckily I usually ride in groups so this hasn't been an issue yet but hard fall detection would be great. I'm certain there is an accelerometer in the watch so this shouldn't be that difficult to program into an update.

The pluses:
    1. So far, battery life has been awesome. I never expected the battery to last a week but it does. My Fitbit surge could last a week but then it has a monochrome screen.
    2. Fast Charging +++ I can't say enough about how awesome fast charging this watch has been. I was about to go on a long ride and remembered I didn't fully charge my watch, so I stuck it on the charger, showered, changed and came back to a fully charged watch. Absolutely awesome.
    3. The screen is beautiful.
    4. I find the band a little awkward to put on but it is very comfortable.

Last edited: May 28, 2021

olsangrelo and aarond203 like this.
  2. aarond203
    Donut May 27, 2021

aarond203 , via OnePlus 8 , May 27, 2021 :
    Solid post Luq07. The majority of the pros and cons you have mentioned are more or less what I have experienced. I really like the hardware, but as a long term OP user, I have to say that the software was rushed. I would be willing to say that a later launch date would have been acceptable to the community that has been waiting on this watch.

I can see why OnePlus when with the RTOS, and in some ways it was a smart move, but the fact of the matter is that this watch can't be justified as a smartwatch but rather a typical fitness tracker that underperforms on it's potential, at least in it's current state. And the OnePlus Health app will need to address some serious issues and it's fairly basic functionality.

I can't see third-party app support being added for this version, but I hope the OnePlus address the current issues and add new features overtime as promised. Maybe with this partnership of Google and Samsung, OnePlus may consider Wear OS for its 2nd gen watch. We can only hope.

Luq07 likes this.
  3. Lion7718
    Froyo May 27, 2021

Lion7718 , May 27, 2021 :
    I use only Walk. You can make a shortcut/tile in the left swipe area...that's what I did.

wmm likes this.
  4. wmm
    KitKat May 27, 2021

wmm , May 27, 2021 :
    I hadn't noticed that capability - thanks!

5. Luq07
    Froyo May 28, 2021

Luq07 , May 28, 2021 :
    How do you do that?

6. wmm
    KitKat May 28, 2021

wmm , May 28, 2021 :
    Swipe left on the watch face, then press and hold one of the tiles that comes up. That gets you into editing mode. You can then delete or configure any of the tiles that are there currently. If you keep swiping left in editing mode, you'll eventually get to a large "+" that lets you add another tile. Pick the "Workout" tile, then tap the "configure" icon at the bottom to select up to four of the activities you want to access as shortcuts. Finally, tap the screen to lock in your choices. Now those shortcuts will be available on a tile by swiping left.

If you want to change the order of the tiles, you can just delete the ones you want to be at the end and then re-add them.