My little karbon bumper case review for the OnePlus 8 Pro via OnePlus 8 Pro

1. jayanyway
    US Brand Ambassador May 1, 2020

jayanyway , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 1, 2020 :
    Hello everyone! I know how stressful it is to find a case when a new device releases and if you're like me, you end up buying around five cases until you find one you truly like. Well, I bought the karbon bumper case and it just arrived!

Initial thoughts: It's thin. I like thin. I am not one to drop his phone often and when I do it's usually from waist height (I'm 5'11). Glass is glass and phones will crack regardless of height dropped if dropped at the right angle but I don't like a bulky case. I'll risk it for a great feel in the hands. For me, this is the best thickness in a case. I also work a desk job so I'm not constantly in motion where a bulky case would be necessary.

1588362998836.jpg

1588362991936.jpg

1588362992054.jpg
    One thing I like is that this case does not have a divider between the main cameras and the color filter/flash

1588363299714.jpg
    As for how the texture feels, it's not too slippery. Has a hint of a grippy feel.

Well, that's it. That's my little review. Have a great day!

2. G_Bédouin_Axel_vZuV
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer May 1, 2020

Elijah_XVII and Niekemieke like this.
  3. jayanyway
    US Brand Ambassador May 1, 2020

jayanyway , May 1, 2020 :
    I would say it's about the same. Both seem to be raised the same amount when it comes to the back camera.

4. EEric
    Cupcake May 6, 2020

EEric , May 6, 2020 :
    Thanks, I like the cases that oneplus has produced, except for the extra cutout for the flash etc. I like the more precise cutouts on the silicone case better.

I found two cases that use this approach and look okay:
    1) https://dbrand.com/shop/grip/oneplus-8-pro-cases
    2) https://latercase.com/products/oneplus-8-pro-thin-case

Does anyone have experience with cases from these companies? They do not appear too bulky but how well do they protect the phone? I see the Dbrand case has some lip protection.

Anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks, Eric

Elijah_XVII and Niekemieke like this.
  5. Loveit
    KitKat May 6, 2020

Loveit , May 6, 2020 :
    Crap review but a good effort I think. Apologies for being an arse

6. jayanyway
    US Brand Ambassador May 6, 2020

jayanyway , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 6, 2020 :
    I did buy the dbrand case, just waiting for it to ship out. So far just says May. The other looks enticing since it's super thin so I'll look into those as well. I know a YouTube reviewer posted about it as an ad. Never purchased it before.

7. jayanyway
    US Brand Ambassador May 6, 2020

jayanyway , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 6, 2020 :
    No need to apologize, it was just a small review I felt like giving. Not going to win everyone lol

Pantarei8914 and jayanyway like this.
  9. neekr5
    Froyo May 7, 2020

neekr5 , May 7, 2020 :
    So I have the Glacier Green and have tried the clear case and the Cyan Sandstone.

The clear case is great as it shows off the beautiful colour but feels a bit flimsy compared to the 7 Pro and 6T included cases. I prefer the more precise cut out myself as there is less room for objects to scratch.. I noticed the clear case wasn't well fitted around the power button with too much flex so may wear/tear in time. I also didn't feel like the camera cut out was deep enough to protect properly. The Never Settle logo is cool at first but found myself going off it on the case as a bit OTT. I always rock the logo on my homescreen though because I'm just a shameless fanboy!

The Cyan Sandstone has a really great feel in the hand and is grippy. It is more solid and not much flex - I didn't enjoy putting it on though as felt a really tight fit. The top microphone cut out is not perfect and obscures a tiny, tiny amount of the hole. It has the same thing where the camera protection is like a millimetre at best annoyingly. I would prefer the felt lining inside also as is more cosy for the phone and easier to slip in. The worst thing is that my alert slider is not able to be used without tilting the phone around and angling my thumb into the gap precisely - making it not so convenient!

I know I'm coming across as ridiculously fussy but hopefully it sets expectations for people who are planning on ordering.

Niekemieke, jayanyway and Chinda like this.
  10. Chinda
    Jelly Bean May 27, 2020

Chinda , May 27, 2020 :
    I pre-ordered the Latercase OnePlus 8 Pro Kevlar case. Due to ship end of May, I'll post my impressions once I receive it. Still to actually order my OnePlus 8 Pro phone 😆 unfortunately the stock is currently unavailable for the UK region.

Glacial Green is back in limited quantities tomorrow UK but I'll wait to the Onyx Black colour option I want comes back in stock on the OnePlus Store or Amazon UK.

11. bryanvold
    Cupcake Jun 29, 2020

bryanvold , Jun 29, 2020 :
    I just received by Black OnePlus 8 Pro and I also ordered the Karbon Bumper Case. I upgraded from the 6T and also had the Karbon Bumper Case for that phone as well. On the 6T, the braided section goes all the way up on around the sides. On the 8 Pro version, they replaced the sides with a smoother, more slippery, non-braided. Since the previous poster uploaded the 8 Pro Bumper, I'll show what I mean in the 6T. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to find a different case, because this one seem like it wants to slide down my hand. You pretty much need to put a finger under it to avoid having it slide through your fingers. I think they messed up the design of the 8 Pro case, the braid should go up and around the sides. Maybe OnePlus can comment why they did this - it isn't better, in my opinion - and it's about the only thing that I don't like so far about my OnePlus 8 Pro experience (1 day, LOL).

jayanyway likes this.
  12. jayanyway
    US Brand Ambassador Jun 29, 2020

jayanyway , Jun 29, 2020 :
    Did you ever get your case? I've heard good things about latercase.

13. Ozymandias_Osiris
    Honeycomb Jun 29, 2020

14. Chinda
    Jelly Bean Jun 30, 2020

Chinda , Jun 30, 2020 :
    Yeah I did get the Latercase for my OnePlus 8 Pro. It's a very nice minimalistic case if you don't need a protective bumper case for your phone. If your accident prone a thicker bumper case would be recommended. The camera cut-outs are very precise much better than the official OnePlus Karbon case.

Plus it's slightly more raised so the camera lens are protected don't touch scratch when placed on a table etc unlike the official OnePlus Karbon case. I also got a custom made size FitBAG nappa leather pouch for when the phone is in my trouser or jacket pockets.

Screenshot_20200630-191823.jpg

Screenshot_20200630-193413.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020

PrasadMhatre and Niekemieke like this.
  15. Onarch
    Donut Dec 11, 2020

Niekemieke likes this.
  16. Elijah_XVII
    Cupcake Apr 17, 2021

17. papaharl
    Eclair Apr 17, 2021

18. PrasadMhatre