My memory is full. A What is "Other" via OnePlus 9 Pro

1. T1633188366287
    Cupcake Jan 25, 2022

T1633188366287 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 25, 2022 :
    1643128040845.jpg
    I hardly have anything on this phone except for photos. No special Apps an no videos or games. Still now the memory is full. What to do?

The largest folder is "Other" and what is this?

I have been reading in other fora online and it seems the only solution is to get a replacement phone. I have seen that resetting the entire phone does not help as the memory is building up quickly again after a few days.

Anyone who can guide me in detail on what to do? I am pretty non tech 😱.

I have seen that this fault also applies to other models of this phone. Help!

2. Y1643196551528
    Cupcake Jan 26, 2022

Y1643196551528 , Jan 26, 2022 :
    Hi, this is related to the topic you can find from the forums by searching "system memory.. , system fills storage, ..system file too big", etc. I got exactly the same problem last week with my 9 Pro, I got warning that internal memory is full. My internal storage details showed the system files to be almost 80GB, when the normal size should be under 20GB. This was with Android 11.

I upgraded to Android 12 when it was available this week, to check if that would correct the situation. The problem still remains, showing the same kind of data as in your picture: now system category is just over 17GB (normal), and there is now new category "other", showing the extra data, caused by some bug. I tried to find this extra data with the file manager apps, but it is not showing even with enabling hidden files, so it can´t be cleaned up. I also checked the diagnostics logs location, in case this would be something related to that, but those folders look empty, nothing to clean up (for some reason, bluetooth and gps logging can´t be turned off, or it isn´t saving the selection - there is also no selection options to clear the logs within *#800# logkit UI, now with Android 12?)

By the other discussions about the problem, there´s no solution for the issue: factory reset cleans the extra data, but it will be filled again, looking many trials by other users. I haven´t found any way to clean the data from the phone UI, or when connected to PC.

I chatted with OnePlus technical support about the issue on Monday, their advice was to wait for the software update, which MIGHT have solution.. unbelievable.

3. Y1643196551528
    Cupcake Jan 27, 2022

Y1643196551528 , Jan 27, 2022 :
    I performed full factory reset Today for the phone, now there´s just System category shown with 17,1 GB of storage usage, and the "other" category is empty. I need now monitor if storage usage will start growing again, or is there some corrections done now when Android 12 is in use instead of 11. I was trying to avoid the reset, but when studying the problem, I came to conclusion that it´s about all user can do when rooting the phone is not an option (work phone).

By the forum data, this problem has existed for years now with different models, and no actual solution, or any other comment but to bring the phone to service (with no solution there?), from the manufacturer. This was my first OnePlus phone, and also the last one, I can not recommend selecting this brand for my colleagues, since we have other brands also available with company selection of supported phones, both Android and Iphones.

4. Cervantes
    Moderator Moderator Jan 27, 2022

Cervantes , Jan 27, 2022 :
    Hello there

in others you have storage information that does not go in the categories that you have in the storage list

You can contact support: Here

You change to your location or language at the bottom of the page

5. A1653448527018
    Cupcake May 25, 2022 at 4:48 AM

A1653448527018 , May 25, 2022 at 4:48 AM :
    Why ? What is the fix, if you posted the fix rather than contact support it would help everyone , especially you in terms of not having to waste time on the same issue 10,000 times. Is it a memory dump made when modem issues happen? On my 3rd reset, I love this phone otherwise, please post a fix or at least confirm the issue so other readers can help find a solution.

6. Tobikage
    General Support Expert Award 2021 May 25, 2022 at 4:50 AM

Tobikage , May 25, 2022 at 4:50 AM :
    If they knew the fix... they'd have released it as part of the update right ?

There is no guaranteed fix as far as I can tell from reading the same issue across almost all new devices.