My NFC tags experience

1. mattc
    Jelly Bean Jul 30, 2014

mattc , Jul 30, 2014 :
    Coming from an iPhone, NFC is never a feature I could experiment with.
    Now owner of the OPO for more than a week, I decided to buy some tags and see how it goes on the OPO.

First, you will need to order some NFC tags, logical hey ;) So I ordered the Touch NFC Starter Pack from RapidNFC (http://rapidnfc.com/item/275/nfc_starter_packs_touch_nfc_starter_pack). The tags came quickly and look neat.

Then, install Tasker (which will allow you to create more extensive tasks for your NFC tags) and Trigger (which will define the task that will be assigned to the tag).

Tasker and Trigger are pretty straight forward to setup so I will not go into details on this.

This little setup works great on my OPO, no issues whatsoever so far!

PS: If you get an error stating "Permission to launch tasks has not been granted by Tasker", this is a bug that happens if you installed Trigger before Tasker. In order to fix it, just uninstall and re-install Trigger.

cdisxm, pelijaw, mjgnn6 and 19 others like this.
  2. seanvalentino
    Gingerbread Jul 30, 2014

ronoldo likes this.
  3. dingostar
    Gingerbread Jul 30, 2014

dingostar , Jul 30, 2014 :
    They are awesome! NFC with taker is one of the best things to do with your phone.

mattc likes this.
  4. Valence
    Honeycomb Jul 30, 2014

ronoldo and mattc like this.
  5. mattc
    Jelly Bean Jul 30, 2014

mattc , Jul 30, 2014 :
    NFC tags can basically stored some data without needed any power, it uses the near field communication power coming from your phone. You assign some data/actions to the NFC tag with an app like Trigger (or whatever app you prefer from the store). You can even set the tag so the data can't be modified if you are not planning on re-using that tag or if you don't want others changing the data/action. Then you just need to tap your phone on the NFC tag and it will execute the action.

ronoldo and Sepanda like this.
  6. mattc
    Jelly Bean Jul 30, 2014

mattc , Jul 30, 2014 :
    Indeed, so many cool things to do with them!

ronoldo and dingostar like this.
  7. leemartin
    Lollipop Jul 30, 2014

mattc likes this.
  8. mattc
    Jelly Bean Jul 30, 2014

mattc , Jul 30, 2014 :
    So far, I'm experimenting with them.
    So I have one tag setting changing my phone settings for night mode.
    I have another one that I put in the car to start my sat nav app.
    Planning on putting others to set specific settings when arriving at home, ...
    If you google it, you will find some great ideas.

And NFC tags are affordable so not a big investment if you don't end up having a need for them

ronoldo likes this.
  9. iapurbabiswas
    Honeycomb Jul 30, 2014

10. seanvalentino
    Gingerbread Jul 30, 2014

seanvalentino , Jul 30, 2014 :
    so forgive me if im wrong, like if i put a lockcode and when im home i wanna do away with it, i could set that specific nfc tag to personalize home settings ?

11. mattc
    Jelly Bean Jul 30, 2014

mattc , Jul 30, 2014 :
    I am buddy ;) Only down side is that yellow band on the screen but getting used to live with it now

12. mattc
    Jelly Bean Jul 30, 2014

mattc , Jul 30, 2014 :
    Your phone has to be unlocked for NFC to work, unless I missed a setting somewhere

13. mattc
    Jelly Bean Jul 30, 2014

mattc , Jul 30, 2014 :
    Maybe if I root my phone, there would be a plugin for that

ronoldo likes this.
  14. IAMSTEVE
    Honeycomb Jul 30, 2014

IAMSTEVE , Jul 30, 2014 :
    Congrats on being an owner. Ill get there one day. 158k and no begging, I hope will work! If i dont get an invite
    [​IMG]

ronoldo likes this.
  15. Toddyfoxx
    Gingerbread Jul 30, 2014

mattc likes this.
  16. iapurbabiswas
    Honeycomb Jul 30, 2014

iapurbabiswas , Jul 30, 2014 :
    yellowTE="mattc, manufacturing : 3460041, member: 90543"]I am buddy ;) Only down side is that yellow band on the screen but getting used to live with it now[/QUOTE]
    yellow band is a manu
    yellow band is manufacturing fault or is a bug of cm11s? some people are using uv ray to sole this!

17. mattc
    Jelly Bean Jul 30, 2014

mattc , Jul 30, 2014 :
    yellow band is a manu

yellow band is manufacturing fault or is a bug of cm11s? some people are using uv ray to sole this![/QUOTE]

My yellow band is definitely hardware in my case. I tried the UV lamp fix and can't say it works for me, even by removing the screen protector.

Apart from that, the phone is awesome

18. wyatthunter6
    Gingerbread Jul 30, 2014

ronoldo and mattc like this.
  19. iapurbabiswas
    Honeycomb Jul 30, 2014

iapurbabiswas , Jul 30, 2014 :
    hope from next batch there will be no yellow band.

20. nilchak
    Froyo Jul 30, 2014

nilchak , Jul 30, 2014 :
    Cool you are enjoying the NFC experience coming from an iPhone (rumors point to iPhone6 supporting NFC as well).

I use NFC tags for various things - have a tag in my wallet, so when ever I need CC information, I tap my phone on my pocket with wallet in it, and it opens up the Keeper app with CC info page.

On my tablet cover I have another tag affixed which enables WiFi tethering on my phone so I can log in from tablet to my AP on my phone.

In my car on the GPS holder I have a tag to enable the Car mode on my phone whenever put my phone into the holder. (These days you get NFC enabled holders).

So many different uses, its really handy and helpful.

ronoldo, infgeorge and mattc like this.