My NFC tags experience

1. mrtienpham
    Cupcake Nov 30, 2014

mrtienpham , Nov 30, 2014 :
    Does the OnePlus One read tags well? My HTC One read my bus card, but the OnePlus does not. Wondering if it has problems reading other tags.

2. erikhellsing
    Cupcake Dec 2, 2014

3. erikhellsing
    Cupcake Dec 2, 2014

4. belley
    Froyo Dec 2, 2014

belley , Dec 2, 2014 :
    I was going to ask how well the nfc tags work on this phone. I haven't read though all the pages yet, but what are some of the cool things one could do with nfc tags and how exactly do you set up these tags?

5. jimmywutang
    Froyo Dec 3, 2014

jimmywutang , Dec 3, 2014 :
    If you have WiFi at home you can go into the profiles, change your "home" profile to have no lockscreen and based on the connect ( The google places icon on the bottom of the profiles page), you can switch the profile to home based on connect and to enable the default profile on disconnect. That's what I do.

6. kc2ped
    Gingerbread Dec 23, 2014

kc2ped , Dec 23, 2014 :
    Let me start by saying I know nothing about NFC or programming
    I need to tap a tag and have the phone get the current time from the GPS and append it to a log file somewhere, or even create a new file for each tap
    My sense is that this is something that NFC can do
    Am I barking at the wrong tree

7. milsau19
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 9, 2015

milsau19 , Jan 9, 2015 :
    I am unable to use media playback on trigger!! My tag records it..but Google play music don't start any music playback..I am tired of writing and erasing that tag.. Rest any functions work..but just the media playback doesn't work... Anyone can help?? Please what should I do?

Birsam likes this.
  8. jobby
    Froyo Jan 30, 2015

jobby , Jan 30, 2015 :
    Hello,

My experience with NFC tags is not very good. The tags are not read correctly. The android beam doesnt work fine and I have to unistall the taginfo app due to randomly errors...

Not very happy with it...

9. Tippon
    Eclair Feb 3, 2015

Tippon , Feb 3, 2015 :
    Don't know if you've solved it yet, but in case you haven't:

In Trigger you need to set your default media playback app. Once that's done, create a task and set the first trigger to be NFC. You then need either start, stop or start/stop media playback to be a task. Add whatever else you want it to do (I usually turn up the volume), then write the tag.

Hope this helps :)

10. LibbyXCX
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 3, 2015

11. cbenard
    Cupcake Feb 3, 2015

12. Tippon
    Eclair Feb 3, 2015

Tippon , Feb 3, 2015 :
    Nope. Since setting the phone up a few days after Xmas, I've only had the low battery notification once, and that was after watching a load of videos.

I don't use Google Wallet, but I don't see why not. It would defeat the object if Trigger removed functionality from the phone. Trigger's free though, so there's no harm in giving it a try :)

13. milsau19
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 4, 2015

milsau19 , Feb 4, 2015 :
    How do you set the default app in trigger..can you pls help out a little bit more

14. Tippon
    Eclair Feb 4, 2015

Tippon , Feb 4, 2015 :
    In Trigger, press the icon at the top left of the screen to open the menu, then press Settings. Press General and you should see the option Set preferred media player. Press that and select your chosen player. I've chosen Google Play Music, but it should work with whatever media player you prefer.

You may need to recreate any tasks you've already set up, and rewrite any NFC tags. I haven't had any problems with mine, so I don't know if your existing tags and tasks would still work or not. It might be easier to create a new task to test it out first. I'll go through the steps I used to create a working media playback tag, just in case you missed something (not saying you did, but a known working tag gives you something to double check against :) )

I set the preferred media player as above
    Press the + to create a new task
    Press the + to add a Trigger and tap NFC
    Press Next then Done as we're not adding any restrictions
    Press Next
    Press the + to add an action
    Press Media and Start media playback, then Next
    Press Add to task
    Change the name of the task to something memorable then press Next
    Under Switch, press the + again to add another action
    Press Media again and Stop media playback, then Next
    Press Add to task
    Press Done

Trigger will ask you to write the task to a tag, so hold the phone over a tag until the phone makes the confirmation sound and Trigger tells you that the tag has been written successfully. Press Done to finish.

Exit Trigger and go back to your phone's home screen. While the phone is on and unlocked, hold it over the newly written tag to test it. The first time you do it Google Music (or whichever media player you chose) should open and start playing music, and the second time should stop playback.

Obviously you'll need to have set up your media player too, so for Google Music you'll need to have signed into an account and either have music online or on the phone.

Let me know if you're still having problems :)

15. milsau19
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 5, 2015

milsau19 , Feb 5, 2015 :
    I did as you asked, but in the preferred media player, I am not getting play music as an option, it's showing play newsstand.

16. Dave1482

Dave1482 , Feb 5, 2015 :
    I use it to pay McD's with Google Wallet.

17. milsau19

milsau19 , Feb 5, 2015 :
    I got it..my Google play music was giving me errors, so I uninstalled it and installed again..and now it works..thank you so much..you made my day

18. Vadomata
    Jelly Bean Feb 5, 2015

Vadomata , Feb 5, 2015 :
    If there only was NFC tags around that can be read long distance away.

19. Tippon
    Eclair Feb 5, 2015

Tippon , Feb 5, 2015 :
    Brilliant, glad it worked :)

20. canuck268
    Cupcake Feb 18, 2015

canuck268 , Feb 18, 2015 :
    Can you make profiles change using a GPS location rather than NFC or Wifi Connections?