My OnePlus 6T update, one month later

1. maarten_lisboa The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Dec 10, 2018

maarten_lisboa, Dec 10, 2018 :
    Good morning/afternoon/evening/night,

I enjoyed writing my review for the OnePlus 6T but i thought it would be a good thing to write a short opinion one month later. Did i changed my mind after 6 weeks of using the device or not ?

So a quick reminder : i was a OnePlus 6 user and before i used the 3T, i use my phone a lot and i am addicted to smartphone photography.

To make it easy and short i will use 3 categories ; I don't like, I am ok with it and i love it.
    • "I don't like"
    Notification Light : Crazy but the lack of this small little light keeps getting my attention. It still happens a lot that i see my phone on the table and i am just checking if i see a light indication of new messages. Stupid maybe but it really takes me some time to get used to it. I even thought about how OnePlus could maybe find a way to get this back.
    My idea was to have the fingerprint light up when you have a new notification using the ambient display settings. So it would be possible to turn this off because i am certain that not all of you miss those notification lights.

Nightscape : I put this one here but could also be in the "it is ok i guess"-category. The reason is that i don't use this option. Don't get me wrong , i love the camera and what it does in low light situations but i prefer how the normal mode handles the job. It keeps the colors and most of all it keeps the dark sky dark. It could be a personal thing but i love it when i go out at night and a can shoot pictures from buildings with a nice dark background.
    The nightscape really lights up the scene but i am really no fan of the result. Those pictures just don't look nice so i never used this option.
    I include 2 pictures i took, no edits have been done and taken in auto mode.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• "It is ok i guess"
    Headphone jack : I am still not sure if i miss the headphone jack or not. OnePlus provided the dongle ( is that cable strong enough ?) and i also received the type C bullets so no need for me to buy a headphone with bluetooth. I do understand that some users really are upset the device has no more jack, especially when you want to charge your phone at the same time. This happend to me once during the past month so at that moment i wished it still had the jack.
    I don't think it will ever come back so i am sure in a few years nobody willl remember what a jack actually was.

In-screen fingerprint sensor : I am ok with it, it does the job and i got used to it. I can't say i love it because it just isn't at the same level (speed) as the one on the back of my 6.
    The phone received many updates and i do feel like it is getting there.
    I have read that it adapts and should become faster after frequent use.. Could be true because i mostly use my right hand to unlock and it needs more time with a fingerprint on my left hand.
    Let's see if it can become just a little bit faster, i have a feeling it will.
    • "I love it"
    OxygenOS : In general and also mentioned in my review, i love the OS. No problems at all during this past month and just a joy to use my phone. Everything works as it should be and i surprised some friends who noticed how fast it all worked. Some extra updates have been recieved and looking forward what else is possible to make the experience even better. Things i love in the software are the gestures and those small details that make it all so easy to use like the swipe down anywhere on the screen to open the settings icons. Everything works smooth and fast and for me OxygenOS is still one the main reasons why i should recommend a OnePlus device to any user.

Battery life : The first thing i mention when people ask me what is the biggest difference between the 6 and the 6T. It can make it during the day without any problems and i can say i use my phone a lot. So in my opinion it was a good idea to go for the bigger battery and to make some drastic changes like dropping the jack.

The camera : I had some doubts where to put this. Am i ok with it or do i love it ? In the end i do love it because my biggest passion at the moment is smartphone photography. Yes, some things i still feel could be better but i think every camera has its positive and negative sides.
    I test the phone in all kind of situations and by doing so i know what the limits are.
    Overall i love how it captures the details and colors, especially during normal daylight and yes even in low light situations. I had some issues when the phone was just released with the colors ( they came out to saturated ) but it seems after some updates they fixed this issue.
    When i show my pictures to my friends they love how my phone captures it.
    My conclusion is still the same as in my first review : It is not just a good camera that will make you a good photographer. You need to get to know your device , you need to know how to use different kind of light and you need the eye to capture it all. So even with the smartest camera and software in your hands it is still the person behind the camera who has to do most part of the work. Smartphones are a great help to shoot some easy pictures but don't expect mi

Conclusion:

I love my 6T as i also loved my 3T and the 6. Each phone is different and when you change you need to adapt to those changes. If you can't adapt to it or don't like the new developmenst you luckily still have lots of other brands with great phones to choose from.
    Or you just skip one update and keep an eye on th enext one, maybe that one will please you more. I never changedto another brand since i started my OnePlus journey with the 3T. I like the phones, they never dissapointed me and the camera does the job for me.
    The 3T had a very good camera and still works fine. The 6 was a big step forward with the camera and speed and the 6T gives me this extra battery to last even longer.

So for now i have no reason to change to another brand and i am looking forward what more will come our way. Technology changes so fast so it is really exciting to see how the mobile phone market adapts to these new technologies. Looking forward to 2019 !

Hope you liked this short update and if you have any questions or remarks feel free to post them, i will do my best to answer them.
    Enjoy the last weeks of 2018 and happy holidays.

2. nateavi Gingerbread Dec 12, 2018

nateavi, Dec 12, 2018 :
    I love the notification light on my 3T. Reminds me of the good old days when that was the norm. Made life a whole lot easier. I hope OnePlus would cave in and figure out a way to include that on the OnePlus 7. Regardless I'm gonna wait for the 7T to pop out (Because who are we kiddin here ;) ) for an upgrade.

3. MiszterSoul Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 12, 2018

4. Seagal_aikikai Honeycomb Dec 12, 2018

Seagal_aikikai, Dec 12, 2018 :
    Thanks for the update! Very nice return! I love my OnePlus 6T and it's working "hard" every day becouse I use it a lot. For me the camera is very good! When I wanted to do another tipe of photo I use my dslr. Superb relation price /quality. "never settle"
    1544604946352.jpg

5. maarten_lisboa The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Dec 12, 2018

6. maarten_lisboa The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Dec 12, 2018

maarten_lisboa, Dec 12, 2018 :
    Thanks and I agree with you.
    nice Lisbon picture [e]1f44d[/e]

7. G_Steven_Long_iDcA Cupcake Dec 12, 2018

8. JelleZon KitKat Dec 12, 2018

9. X1543774750988 Cupcake Dec 12, 2018

10. Bigrob94 Eclair Dec 13, 2018

msheu, superplus and maarten_lisboa like this.
  11. C1544670658154 Cupcake Dec 13, 2018

msheu and maarten_lisboa like this.
  12. Alec_Lightwood Froyo Dec 13, 2018

maarten_lisboa and MiszterSoul like this.
  13. pspnewcomer Eclair Dec 13, 2018

14. Ketanatwork Donut Dec 13, 2018

Ketanatwork, Dec 13, 2018 :
    can you add a small on screen feature to display and blink as led on screen...since OnePlus 6t lacks led notification light...but led display can turn on a particular part of display by blinking when notification arrives... similar to app on Google play store as "NoLED"...but it will b great if u integrate it in lock screen feature

15. maarten_lisboa The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Dec 13, 2018

maarten_lisboa, Dec 13, 2018 :
    That's exactly what I mentioned in my post, would indeed be a nice solution. Many apps on play store but I would prefere a integrated option on the OxygenOS too

16. maarten_lisboa The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Dec 13, 2018

maarten_lisboa, Dec 13, 2018 :
    [e]1f44d[/e] 3T,loved that phone.
    But I'm sure you will like the 6T even more

17. Seagal_aikikai Honeycomb Dec 13, 2018

Seagal_aikikai, Dec 13, 2018 :
    No doubt! [e]1f44d[/e] Enjoy it! "never settle"

msheu and maarten_lisboa like this.
  18. Shijo12 Eclair Dec 13, 2018

19. Ketanatwork Donut Dec 13, 2018

Ketanatwork, Dec 13, 2018 :
    exactly... making it integrated by a minimal update to oxygen OS will b helpful.

20. pspnewcomer Eclair Dec 13, 2018

pspnewcomer, Dec 13, 2018 :
    Definitely!!!

Seagal_aikikai likes this.