My OnePlus One Review (64GB)

1. soccershad9
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 8, 2014

soccershad9 , Jul 8, 2014 :
    Finally the day is here when I can write my review to the OnePlus One. After a pretty messed up customer experience for all those who won the most recent Storm of Invites, the excitement finally built back up and the phone finally came to my mailbox. So, after rushing inside, tearing through the envelope, and opening the box to the much to long awaited and hard to get OnePlus One (64GB), I am ready to tell you all a little bit about it.

LOOK & FEEL: First let me start by saying this, this is one of, if not the best phone I have ever had. Right out the box it jumps at you. You can see the thought put into every part of the phone, from the packaging it comes in, to the phone itself, it is all really nice and feels very premium. When you first pick up the phone, the first thing I noticed was the glimmer of the edges combined with the nice textured feel of the back of the phone. The metal around the edges gives it a nice fancy look, and the backing is not easy denting (premium) aluminum, nor is it flimsy plastic. It is a nice textured and sturdy backing, that really would be quite hard to lose grip of. This combined with the thinness of the phone, makes it pretty easy to hold, as it just fits to the curve of your hand. The other thing that I noticed right away, is the power and volume buttons are placed perfectly, not in the way but easy to hit. The one little thing that I did not care for, was decision on the placement of the hardware navigation keys, although this is really just personal preference, as they are backwards from the standard android layout.

21654.jpg 21655.jpg IMG_20140708_173415.jpg IMG_20140708_173425~2.jpg IMG_20140708_173425~3.jpg IMG_20140708_173437~2.jpg IMG_20140708_173448~2.jpg IMG_20140708_173529209.jpg IMG_20140708_173633153_HDR~2.jpg

9/10 - If the navigation buttons were normal, it would be a 10.

SPEED & INTERFACE: Turning the phone of for the first time will walk you through the standard setup process that you get with any android phone. One small difference will be creating a cynogen account, if you do not already have one. This will give you access to all the themes and such provided for the phone, and let me tell you there is A LOT to choose from, but I will get into that in just a bit. First I would like to speak to the speed of the phone, which is FAST. I am coming from a Nexus 5, before that I had a Note II and a Galaxy S4, I have also sold phones, so I have used about every phone currently out on the market. This bad boy does not disappoint, as I believe everything I have thrown at it, is either as fast or faster than any phone I have ever used. Even the boot up is nice and quick, faster than my Nexus 5, which surprised me. Navigating through the menus is smooth,and I have yet to notice any sort of lag in transitions.

On top of being a fast phone, the OnePlus One is known for the amount of customization that it allows. You start off with two theme options, and you can mix and match any of the options within the themes. Then they give you a "theme showcase" which you can download other themes, some being free and some not. This allows for almost infinite options for text, audio, lock screens, wallpapers, icons, and etc. I personally chose to turn off the physical nav buttons, in favor of the on screen nav bar, and don't worry, the screen is HUGE so you wont really be missing that little bit of screen space.

One thing I would like to mention involves the notification bar, and reaching it to view notifications. I have pretty big hands, and by default the notification bar works like this. Pull down the left side, you get your notifications, pull down the right side, you get your quick settings. This did not work for me at all, as even with my bigger hands and longer reach with my thumb, I found it difficult to get the notifications, instead of the quick settings. Luckily there is an easy fix. I personally reversed it, so instead when I pull the right side down, the notifications come down, and the left side is the quick settings. You can also turn the quick setting completely off.

One last thing I would love to hit on, I absolutely LOVE the fact you can easily record your screen with this thing. I was able to do this on my Nexus 5, but it required all these stupid steps and really was just a pain. Now, a simple click of the button and I am on my way. Priceless.

9.5/10 - The only gripe I have is I cannot completely change the lock-screen and it blurs the lock-screen wallpaper. Makes the option to change that wallpaper kind of pointless.

BATTERY: If anyone read my previous thread, they already know that I am in love with this battery. It is quite amazing. Not only does it last for the entire day, or more honestly, under heavy use, when it does die, it charges quickly. My battery lasted for 21 hours before finally hitting 11%, and that is with internet browsing, phone conversations, app downloading, and videos/video uploads. Then it charged from 11% to 69% in about 40 minutes, and with such a huge battery, that is pretty good in my opinion. This alone makes this phone a great one. The only thing I miss is wireless charging. I do wish they would have included this in the phone.

[​IMG]

2. soccershad9

9/10 - Could have wireless charging, add this and it would be a 10.

SCREEN: So most of the gripes that I have been hearing on the forums and elsewhere is about the screen having a yellow tint, or yellow blotches at the bottom. I personally do not have anything like this. Yes, it is a warmer color that at times could be seen as yellowish, but it is in no way blotchy or leaky at the bottom of the screen. Maybe they fixed the issue, or maybe mine is a lucky one, I really do not know, but overall I am pretty impressed with the screen and actually like it a little better than Samsung and Nexus. The reason for this would probably be BECAUSE of the warmer screen that it has. In the dark it is not as much of a strain on your eyes to look at your phone, and this is a good thing. In the sunlight, I have not had any problems seeing my screen, but I can see where someone might. I personally do not see any problems in this though, pictures and videos both look amazing.

10/10 - I have ZERO issues with my screen

CAMERA: I will have to admit, I am not a big camera person, so this is probably the least of my concerns about the phone, but in the interest of this review, I will do my best. I like the camera interface that comes with the phone. It is a lot like stock android, but offers a couple of extra features, within the settings. This means it isn't overloaded with unnecessary modes, but it does have the ability to customize how you like to take your photos to a certain extent. A good choice over the stock android camera app. Picture quality is pretty nice as well, although it will take me a little longer to test it out as I need to take more pictures. I do have one suggestion though, if you are looking to take pictures at night, make sure you change it to night mode, auto doesn't always do the trick and night mode looks leaps and bounds better. I will work on posting pics in the near future, if you have any request let me know I will do my best to accommodate them.

9/10 - Camera could have better optical stabilization, if it did it would be a 10.

SOUND/CALL QUALITY: I am going to hit on both the external speakers and the call quality all in one section, and first I am going to start with the external speakers; hint, they get pretty loud! Certain ringtones/notifications that I have used I actually turn down because they are so loud. This is definitely not a negative, I love the fact that I know I will hear my phone, as this is a MAJOR gripe with many phones out there. Ringtone/notification volume is DEFINITELY not a problem for this phone. Music also sounds pretty great through the phone speakers. I found they sound best if you put Audio FX equalizer on small speakers. It also sounds amazing through headphones, but that could be my headphones, since I do have some pretty nice audio-technica headphones.

The call quality is something I definitely wanted to hit on, as many have stated a low or muffled call volume. I have to say this, the volume on the in phone speaker for calls, is not the loudest it could be, but its not as bad as I was expecting from all the complaints. It could be hard to hear in a loud environment, but I don't find it much worse than many other phones I have used, including my nexus 5. I personally use a Bluetooth headset a lot, and I did find that hearing through my Bluetooth is clearer and louder, so I would suggest, if your on the phone a lot, to invest in a Bluetooth. It makes life easier, plus you can successfully ignore the person your talking to, and play with your phone instead. ;)

9/10 - Call volume could be a little louder while using in phone speakers

CONNECTION & DATA SPEED: I personally have AT&T and have not had one problem at all getting a connection to my network, whether it be HSPA, HSPA+, or 4G LTE. One issue I did have however was sending MMS. I use Textra and it would not send my MMS messages. There was a fix however, and it was an easy one. For whatever reason, textra did not pick up the correct MMS APN settings, and I went in and changed them manually. Everything is working perfect now. If anyone else has this problem message me and I can try and help you change these to what is correct. My DATA speed is on par with every other phone I have had, 4G LTE, around 15 mbps.

10/10 - Minor MMS issues did not affect my grade as it was more a user problem.

RECAP:
    LOOK & FEEL:
    9/10 - If the navigation buttons were normal, it would be a 10.
    SPEED & INTERFACE:
    9.5/10 - The only gripe I have is I cannot completely change the lockscreen and it blurs the lockscreen wallpaper. Makes the option to change that wallpaper kind of pointless.
    BATTERY:
    9/10 - Could have wireless charging, add this and it would be a 10.
    SCREEN:
    10/10 - I have ZERO issues with my screen
    CAMERA:
    9/10 - Camera could have better optical stabilization, if it did it would be a 10.
    SOUND/CALL QUALITY:
    9/10 - Call volume could be a little louder while using in phone speakers
    CONNECTION & DATA SPEED:
    10/10 - Minor MMS issues did not affect my grade as it was more a user problem.

OVERALL RATING: 9.3/10

Overall the phone is a GREAT phone, one of the best, if not THE best I have ever had. If it weren't for MINOR little things, like call volume and lack of wireless charging, this phone would be a 10 out of 10 in my book.

3. TomW093
    Gingerbread Jul 8, 2014

4. gt5679a

Funzbob likes this.
  5. crisava
    Gingerbread Jul 8, 2014

6. AGomes
    Honeycomb Jul 8, 2014

AGomes , Jul 8, 2014 :
    Awesome. Is a wonderful phone and I still wait for my lucky moment. lol. Congrats: Enjoy it :)

Kdhupar likes this.
  7. orion821
    Gingerbread Jul 8, 2014

8. jimchou
    Gingerbread Jul 8, 2014

9. FireBoost06
    Honeycomb Jul 8, 2014

10. CoachEgghead

CoachEgghead , Jul 8, 2014 :
    I take it you really like the phone LOL!

gabevelas and soccershad9 like this.
  11. Gmkuma
    Donut Jul 8, 2014

12. soccershad9

the customer service experience is a different review...lmao

13. mosesv26
    Jelly Bean Jul 8, 2014

slacktech likes this.
  14. crowny13
    Jelly Bean Jul 8, 2014

crowny13 , Jul 8, 2014 :
    So what was the best you ever had?

15. littlejohno
    Gingerbread Jul 8, 2014

littlejohno , Jul 8, 2014 :
    Wow what a great review love the way you have scored all the different points thanks sand enjoy :)

Funzbob likes this.
  16. OpofanIT
    KitKat Jul 8, 2014

OpofanIT , Jul 8, 2014 :
    Good for you!
    Good for us to see a normal person doing detailed review- THX!

soccershad9 likes this.
  17. Marianape

Gmkuma likes this.
  18. soccershad9

The more I use this phone, the more it is this phone. Closely followed by the Nexus 5

Marianape likes this.
  19. magischerherbst

20. kaedee

kaedee , Jul 8, 2014 :
    Great review and I will say that I agree with all of your comments. There maybe yellowing but with my eyesight it does not cause a problem nor will I be asking for a RMA for now; it may get worse later on but right now no issues.