My OnePlus One

1. SexyHyde
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 18, 2014

SexyHyde , Jul 18, 2014 :
    This is my mini review. The OnePlus One replaces my HTC One X, I had put CyanogenMod 11 on it about two months ago so I was ready for the OnePlus One.

Packaging: You should have seen it all by now, minimalist but stylish, good quality feel. I did notice my phone cases box was a pure white as opposed to the off white (creamish) of the phone and charger

Accessories: USB cable looks great, the best I've had actually. It looks like it will last ages too.
    I'm in the UK so had the Euro plug with a UK adapter, its very ugly and cumbersome, I'll forgive it this time as I know it's not top priority but please sort out UK plugs soon.

I bought a yellow case, which I love the colour of. The colour on the order page does not do it justice. It has some rough edges and has a slight crack in one corner which means it doesn't always sit exactly flush with the phone. It has also 'scratched away' the Sandstone effect slightly on one corner of my phone from the first fit. I think the case needs to be made from a material a bit more pliable.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Phone body: Apart from the corner scratch from the case, the Sandstone back has held up well, everyone that has held the phone has complemented its feel, I would describe it as a cross between a smooth nail file and velvet.
    The chrome effect plastic surround adds an excellent smooth quality feel which contrasts and complements the Sandstone. I especially like its position against the raised screen, giving a nice rounded feel in the hand.
    The volume and power buttons: I just cant make my mind up on. Their definite edge feels sharp to the touch, which sometimes feels like a premium machined finish and others like a cheap unfinished part. This is probably to do with the contrasting textures of the Sandstone and chrome surround.

Screen: I did notice a slight yellow tinge at the bottom of the screen, have placed it in bright sunlight but kept it cool and the UV exposure has almost totally cleared it up
    [​IMG]
    The quality is great, I was thinking with the screen size jump I wouldn't notice the resolution, but I can.

Speakers: I was actually pretty surprised here, much louder and better quality than my HTC and the other halfs Nexus, although it does lose a bit of fidelity at top volume. It's even better than my tablets audio.

Battery: Well this was always going to feel good as my old phone was so poor. I'm quite a heavy user and I'm going to bed with 30-40%. this was with around three hours of streamed video.

Camera: All decent phone cameras can take great pictures in good light. The OnePlus One is no different, negative reports on the low light performance had dismayed me somewhat, but I'm finding the low light performance really good in real world usage. It's also really quick and easy to change camera profiles which is a big plus as it saves time messing about in settings.

Hardware buttons: Was expecting to use software buttons as I assumed the reveresed nature of the hardware buttons would have bothered me but I've taken to it remarkably well. Having the back button on the right hand side is actually situated in a better position for me as it feels much more natural.

CyanogenMod: It runs great, I'm somewhat used to it. I personally think it's better than stock Android but I do prefer HTC's Sense very slightly. Although I don't know if I could go back having been spoilt with all these features.

Call Quality: I hardly use phone calls, I have had one bad call BUT it was bad both sides so was probably the line rather than the phone. Voip and Voxer have been as expected, quality was not an issue.

Misc: I have had the phone start playing paused podcasts when I have pocketed it it's only happened two or three times, screen off and I'm pretty sure I haven't pressed the volume button, need to be more observant to see if I can spot what triggers it.

Summary: I'm not normally an early adopter, but I took a chance and despite the chip and case crack, everything else is so good. UV exposure has solved the yellow screen, which wasn't that great, I was only aware of it because I went looking for it. The phone is blazing and cheap, for my £287 (inc case and delivery) It's quite frankly a bargain. It's not perfect or a flagship killer, unless you disregard specs and just talk price, but it is a killer flagship.

**EDIT**
    The case now has 7 cracks in the corners. These are getting worse, I am guessing the case may last another week or two. The phone has not been dropped or suffered any knocks, so the fact that it has become so damaged, so quickly is unacceptable.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014

iusethemouse, mn0, nem3sis and 20 others like this.
  2. Vizion

Vizion , Jul 18, 2014 :
    nice havent seen u in a while how u been?

3. sjhann
    Gingerbread Jul 18, 2014

SexyHyde likes this.
  4. slimgym20

SexyHyde likes this.
  5. SexyHyde

Yeah been good, stayed away from the forums a bit as it went a bit manic with the n00bs and trolls but seems to be getting calmer now more invites are going out. You got the phone yet?

Vizion likes this.
  6. Vizion

Vizion , Jul 18, 2014 :
    me get the phone lol good 1 didnt even get an invite

SexyHyde likes this.
  7. sp0ngeb0b12
    Honeycomb Jul 18, 2014

SexyHyde likes this.
  8. Maxximuscool
    Jelly Bean Jul 18, 2014

SexyHyde likes this.
  9. SexyHyde

It will come, If you havent got one when I get my ones to share I'll pass one to you.

Vizion likes this.
  10. Vizion

Vizion , Jul 18, 2014 :
    thanks man your the best

SexyHyde likes this.
  11. SexyHyde

I just put it screen side up on a table in the garden and on a non slip mat on my car dashboard. I was really surprised how quickly it fixed itself.

12. Maxximuscool
    Jelly Bean Jul 18, 2014

Maxximuscool , Jul 18, 2014 :
    How about take it to a manicure place and pay $5 to use their UV lol

SexyHyde likes this.
  13. slimgym20

slimgym20 , Jul 18, 2014 :
    My yellow case should be coming soon too! A little disappointed that it will rub off the texture on the edges. But I imagine that will happen either way. I debated the yellow, but the florescent look drew me in.

SexyHyde likes this.
  14. SexyHyde

Well I was going to do that this weekend, but I thought as I'm sat in the garden and driving the car I'll try it and see how it goes until the weekend. Saved myself some shekels.

15. mnolanpd
    Eclair Jul 18, 2014

mnolanpd , Jul 18, 2014 :

What a quality review! Thank you, very much, for taking the time to write this!

gunsmith_cats and SexyHyde like this.
  16. SexyHyde

It's just the one corner on mine so it could just be a defect in my Sandstone. It was the first time I put the case on and took it off. I think it could do with something like a rubberised coating on the inside.

slimgym20 likes this.
  17. hennezzy
    Cupcake Jul 18, 2014

SexyHyde likes this.
  18. Maxximuscool
    Jelly Bean Jul 18, 2014

Maxximuscool , Jul 18, 2014 :
    If you take it to UV heat it then I think it might fixes it completely. Let's try when I get mine.

19. zabakingboy
    KitKat Jul 18, 2014

zabakingboy , Jul 18, 2014 :
    This is called a helpful post for someone receiving an OPO. Compare to all the "Got my One" that said nothing in the post except "Got my one today, woowoo!".
    Good Job

SexyHyde likes this.
  20. Vizion

Vizion , Jul 18, 2014 :
    hey i just got mine so i wont need ur invite thanks for the offer

gunsmith_cats and SexyHyde like this.