My OnePlus Xperience

1. OmarFPG
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 11, 2015

OmarFPG , Dec 11, 2015 :
    A little bit of background first, if you'd like. Let this serve as a kind of introduction as well for me, this being my first thread.

I've been always a follower of OnePlus, since their beginning. I was really interested in such a great device for such a low cost. Even more living in a country where you don't get free access to any foreign currency, other than $300 yearly for online expenses (which isn't for everyone, you have to meet some requirements too), and up to $3000 yearly for traveling expenses (even harder to get, considering the price of plane tickets, and all the requirement as well, also note that the $300 for online purchases can be deducted from the 3k yearly, and if you don't use it, you lose it). All this leading to a very expensive black market of foreign exchange. No need to go in details there.

I couldn't afford one OPO, I ended up buying a Moto G 2013 (by June 2014), which was the king of the budget phones back then, certainly the pioneer. I had a good run with it. I almost bought an OPO though; early this year I got an invite out of nowhere, and I had access to the yearly share of online expenses, both mine and my mom's available for me, but I was saving and adding them to get a laptop for work / studies. And anyways the OPO was more than $300, plus taxes plus shipping, I had no chance. The Moto G was still working for me, so I had to pass on the opportunity, focusing on my needs and priorities.

I'm not a demanding smartphone user anyways, I look up for Whatsapp mostly, decent camera, some very light gaming, if any, and some productivity and utilities apps. Virtually no social media, I don't check or post that often and I rather do that on a computer. A bit of web browsing for when I don't have a computer near me but I need to quick check something, etc. As I said, I'm actually a very light user.

Sadly, I was mugged on October 26th, two guys on a bike came at me, threatened me and took everything away from me. Not a good experience, not going to go in full detail there. Just that I needed a phone most of it (out of all the things they took away). With my office job was impossible to get a new one, or at least a fairly descent one even. Luckily for me I started freelancing earlier this year and I had some savings in a strong currency. I could get back on my feet.

I was about to get a Moto G 3rd gen that weekend, but right before that, on October 29th the OnePlus X was announced. I was like, well this is it. I'm going to get one! I signed up right away on the invite queue and waited for it. I let other offers pass (such as the Nexus 5 on ebay for $175 and the Moto X 2nd gen on Amazon for 200$ right around that time too). I decided to skip those offers and wait a bit more for the OPX.

A couple of days before the launch on the US I still hadn't hear anything, so I reached to support and stated my case, and asked which number was I in the queue, since I really needed a phone, lol. They were very kind to provide me with an invite and I was able to get one the very first day. :) (thanks again Brenda and Llores!). In the meanwhile I had a very basic Alcatel C1 that I purchased from a friend who was kind enough to lend me the phone, and then sell it to me very very cheap, almost gifted.

The OPX arrived its destination in the US by November 25th, on my courier, and I asked them to send it right away to me. Crazy thing, next day I was mugged again, this time on the car with my dad (at least we got the car back, with some details, but there it is). So again I was without a phone (and at least the OPX hadn't arrived yet to my hands, or that would've been the one stolen, not the Alcatel C1).

The X took two extra weeks to get on my hands after I asked to be delivered to me (because thanksgivings in the US, and elections in my country).
    WE WON!!!
    [​IMG]
    And I finally got it today. It's been quite a journey, and lots of things (some bad, some good) had to happen so I could finally get an OnePlus, but hey everything happens for a reason.

Of course I will take so much care of it, I most likely won't leave the house with it, I got a cheap phone as well for when I have to go out and necessarily have to take a phone with me. It is a shame that I can freely take things with me, or that I won't be able to enjoy the camera as much as I wish. But I hope all that changes soon enough.

Thank you for reading!

^ TL;DR: I've always wanted an OnePlus but couldn't afford it because my country is crazy. Then I was mugged not once but twice, but since now I'm freelancing I could make the effort of getting one, it took forever to get here, but I have it now and I love it. :)

[​IMG]

Ordered: Nov 19th
    Delivered in the US: Nov 25th
    Delivered in Venezuela: Dec 10th

Usage details in next post.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015

2. OmarFPG

OmarFPG , Dec 11, 2015 :
    Edit / Note: I can't add more content to this post, I reached the limit. :( I'll keep sharing details in separated posts.

Back on topic, for my first impressions and sort-of reviewing part:

The first thing I noticed is the packaging is really well done, there's a lot of detail put in the box and I appreciate that. I had seen a few unboxing videos already, but it was still great see it live, by my own. When I got the phone I was blown away by it: the size is great, and it is so thin, it's amazing. It feels really good in the hand, and it looks stunning.

[​IMG]

I turned it in and I loved the screen even more, very crisp and sharp image (also, nice bezels, and the raised screen looks good too). I took a while before removing the front and back plastic covers, and I was happy that the phone comes with a pre-installed screen protector and a silicon case.

I noticed right away how slippery it is when I sat on a couch and placed the phone on my lap and it simply slipped off back to the couch. Right away I got it in the case. It provides more grip, and some protection. The case looks good as well, but it is too thin and soft for my taste, I'd like something more sturdy. I'll get a case and screen protector soon, but I still appreciate the fact that OnePlus included that, it works meanwhile, or if you're extremely careful with your phone I guess that's more than enough.

By the time I got the phone it had been at least 3 weeks without charging (just considering I purchased it Nov 19th, and it arrived today December 10th). I turned it on and it had 93% battery. That was a nice thing to see, I was expecting way waaaay less. Another odd thing is that it had OxygenOS 2.1.2 right out of the box:
    Screenshot_2015-12-10-11-40-30.png
    I didn't noticed any lag, but I didn't used it very much before I downloaded the 2.1.3-x (27mb), and I didn't even used Chrome until very later afterwards.

After updating it, I kept using it for a while, downloading and installing some apps, configuring some things, reviewing some of the customizations from OxygenOS. Etc. By the time it had 64% I noticed the GPS was on and I turned it off. Most of the time I was on WiFi, so that saves some battery too. Battery was down to 5% around 4:30pm, with 4.25 hours SOT, 44 mins of voice calls, and lots of downloads of apps (and maybe like 5 minutes of candy crush because I can).

Screenshot_2015-12-10-16-32-00.png Screenshot_2015-12-10-16-32-06.png Screenshot_2015-12-10-16-32-17.png

I must say, I'm really happy with the battery life, from 93 to 5% in 5 or 6 hours of heavy usage is great. Right now it is charging, I'm using a RAV Power wall charger with a FRiEQ USB cable (it's a high quality and it is a very long one so it is really comfortable, I'll add this to the question of the week, long cables, yes). I think it is taking a bit longer than the 2 hours and 15 minutes I had read it was the standard with the OP charger. I'll use that one next time and see how it goes.

More details on battery life ahead:

I also did a really quick and simple test of the cameras, the front one is great for selfies. I was impressed by how quick the camera is, and it seems very good to me (of course coming from a 1st gen Moto G and then an Alcatel C1). Here are two I took while testing with my dad and grandma :) default camera app and default mode, I barely even aimed and the result is great anyways:
    IMG_20151210_113346 - copia.jpg IMG_20151210_113408 - copia.jpg
    (They are compressed heavily since I couldn't upload the original images to the forum because of the size). When I do some more tests with the rear camera I'll share them here and/or in the photography thread, if they're worth sharing.

So far I've also tested:
    -Battery: 4h 15m SOT + 45m calls on the first run. You can switch the notification bar to show battery % by going in battery settings, and tapping the battery icon, it'll show you four options.

-OnePlus charger and cable: At first it was taking around 4 hours to complete the charge, nowadays is around 2-3 hours, closer to the 2h15m I saw in other posts and tests. At first with other brands it was 5 hours, I may try with them again to see if it improved as well.

-Alert slider: I like it but I have to use both hands to move it.

-Gestures: very handy. I absolutely love them.

-On screen and physical buttons: I prefer the physical ones, so I don't waste any screen space. I also noticed I don't need them to be back-lighted, it feels natural to go to the places, c'mon it's only three buttons, which you should be used to anyways.

-Physical buttons extras: I got another advantage for the physical buttons, on top of not consuming space on your screen, you can set extra functionalities for them; you can define actions for long press or double tap. For instance, I made the home button double tap to turn off the screen. This plus the double tap to wake gesture will surely extend the life expectancy of the power button. :)

-Switching the left and right buttons: I prefer the default setting, but it is nice to have the choice, depending from which phone you come from, this will be useful.

-Adaptive brightness: seems like it could use some improvement indeed. I ended up disabling it and I'll wait for this to be fixed in a future update.

-Dark mode: fantastic! Good for the eye, good for the battery.

-Accent colors: nice to have, for now I'm sticking to the default one. It could've been nice to have a full color selection, I'm not sure why to limit it to a few choices only, but it is still better than no choice at all.

-Shelf: I have to find a real good use for it, or I'll replace it for Google Now, or some widgets. I noticed I can add widgets to it, so I just added google now there as well. If I can find a way to place it on the first spot that'd be great. It is not the Google Now launcher per se, but the widget is also nice.

-Photo app: I'm not a big fan of it, I miss the old gallery, so I just got QuickPick for now, which is also good and has dark background.

-Call: I did noticed the screen vibrate once during the first call.

-Switching between WiFi and network and viceversa seems very fast to me (again, I'm coming from very old phones).

-Dual Sim: Working fine, and it seems I can switch the one providing network data.

-Notifications dropdown: If you swipe from the right side on the notification bar you get the switchers too, this is kind of annoying, since you have to stretch a bit more and swipe down from the middle of the notification bar to get only notifications. However, I just remembered I had read about this on previous posts. You can swipe down from any point from the center and lower half of the screen, and it'll show only the notifications. :)

-Default camera app: It works really quick, and I have to test all the settings and modes with time. One thing I didn't like is when you swipe up / down you change mode, this doesn't feel natural, and there are other gestures to change them (like swiping from left to right first to get the options, this feels more natural).

-Flashlight: is great, bright enough, and very useful to turn it on / off with the V gesture. I love the gestures.

-Speaker
    • Call: it could be a bit louder imho. If both speaker grills were actually speakers maybe! :p
    • Alarms: not bad, but I wish it was louder, I'm seriously a heavy sleeper. I'll check later for other alarm tones, maybe there's something in there for me. :p
    • Games: it does sound loud enough in games, you may even find yourself lowering the volume actually.

-Bluetooth
    • Headphones: I paired my MEElectronics Air-Fi Rumble and it lagged a little bit, even rebooted the phone, I'm not sure what happened there, but that was something quick and I couldn't replicate it later.

After that everything was nice and dandy, it has a very nice range, I walked around the house to see how far could I go and I was pleased with it. My house isn't so big, but my room is located in one end of it, and just reaching to the other end of the house the signal started to break.

The signal is strong, the controls on the headphone worked fine. I also happened to get a call during that time, and it worked fine as well, I can use the headset buttons to answer the call without any problems.
    • Computer: I was also able to pair with my desktop computer which is using a USB bluetooth and I can access the files on my phone within Windows Explorer. I also got an external storage folder but I can't access it of course since I don't have one at the moment. I'll receive it next week I hope and see how it goes.

I'll test more things later and add them to the list. Next on list to test: radio, and wired headphones (also needed for radio).

Overall the phone feels very smooth and fluid, of course it is brand new right now, we'll see when I stuff it with apps and multimedia. But it shouldn't be a mayor deal, I hope. Overall I'm very very happy with my new acquisition.

Thanks for reading! Sorry for the long post.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015

gaster, ppp999, david costa and 12 others like this.
  3. cxboy
    Froyo Dec 11, 2015

cxboy , Dec 11, 2015 :
    How can you manage to get 4 hrs of screen on time? I get 3hr Max :( sad because its always oxygen OS or android system keeping my phone awake :(

4. OmarFPG

OmarFPG , Dec 11, 2015 :
    I didn't do anything special actually, but the phone is practically out of the box. Maybe you have some apps consuming too much battery in background? Facebook, Instagram, etc.

Can you show a screen cap of your battery usage?

5. montgomery.josh
    Eclair Dec 11, 2015

montgomery.josh , Dec 11, 2015 :
    So what country and location are you in? How is your wireless coverage?

6. OmarFPG

OmarFPG , Dec 11, 2015 :
    Venezuela! Right now I'm using two sims, Digitel and Movistar, I have HSPA network, working fine so far.

I don't think I'd have 4g, the bands aren't compatible, and anyways 4g is very expensive here and they don't give you a good navigation limit anyways, so it isn't worth it right now.

hengheng220 likes this.
  7. OmarFPG

OmarFPG , Dec 11, 2015 :
    1. You may say I'm a bit of a fan boy, this is my first OnePlus and I've always wanted one.
    2. I'm a male, but this question is demeaning for women, I'm sure lots of females in this forums could teach you a thing or two.
    3. Nope.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2015

5star02707 and Ceasedd like this.
  8. ppod
    Jelly Bean Dec 11, 2015

ppod , Dec 11, 2015 :
    bleh.. answers 1&2 kinda confirmed you lied in your answer to number 3.

p51d007 likes this.
  9. Reivon Choccoli
    Jelly Bean Moderator Dec 11, 2015

Reivon Choccoli , Dec 11, 2015 :
    @ppod
    Let a girl tell you that posting disrespectful and discriminating content against other members is against the forum code of conduct and if your behavior doesn't improve, action will be taken accordingly.

10. twinnuke
    Cupcake Dec 11, 2015

OmarFPG likes this.
  11. OmarFPG

OmarFPG , Dec 11, 2015 :
    Nothing is. But at this price point, and coming from very low end devices compared to this one, I can't complain. :)

thuybang likes this.
  12. twinnuke
    Cupcake Dec 11, 2015

twinnuke , Dec 11, 2015 :
    I can complain about a few things. Like the protective glass I got for it is literally coming apart at the edges from normal use less than a month in.

OmarFPG likes this.
  13. TheRealShaf
    Gingerbread Dec 11, 2015

TheRealShaf , Dec 11, 2015 :
    That's a fair review. I've been enjoying my X for a few weeks now. The default launcher is fairly basic, and "Shelf" isn't exactly a selling point. I've switched to Action Launcher, a great improvement.

14. OmarFPG

OmarFPG , Dec 11, 2015 :
    I was warned about the tempered glass by the forums so I skipped it, else I'd have gotten one right away since I want to protect the phone as much as I can, and I had a good experience with tempered glass with my Moto G. I'm about to receive one I got from Amazon, from a seller that provided me one in exchange for a fair review. I'll share the details when I finally get it and test it.

Thanks mate! I just wanted to share my experience from my point of view, not aiming for a professional review or anything, there are plenty of those already anyways. :) I'll try to see the real use of Shelf, or switch to Google Now. And I'll check that one you mention as well.

TheRealShaf likes this.
  15. OmarFPG

OmarFPG , Dec 11, 2015 :
    Wut? This could mean so many parts of the post, lol... Where?
    Sorry mate, no idea of what you just said. I used google translator and I got this:

"Gorilla glass is seen as not really strong gorilla. All small scratches behind;"

Do you mean you've got scratches on the screen already? Are you still using the pre-installed screen protector, upgraded for something better or left it naked?

Ceasedd likes this.
  16. Ceasedd
    Marshmallow Dec 11, 2015

Ceasedd , Dec 11, 2015 :
    Congrats.

OmarFPG likes this.
  17. OmarFPG

Ceasedd likes this.
  18. Mr. BG
    Marshmallow Dec 11, 2015

Mr. BG , Dec 11, 2015 :
    Sorry you got mugged, but good to see you also enjoy your OPX.

It's a nice phone, not perfect, but it does many things well, ams of looks the part. I advise you to get a decent camera app like FV5, there is so much more to be had from that tiny Samsung sensor ;)

OmarFPG likes this.
  19. OmarFPG

OmarFPG , Dec 11, 2015 :
    Live and learn! Thanks mate. I'll give the FV5 a try, I've been keeping an eye on the photography thread and I've seen some of your suggestions, they're a must.

Edit: For some reason this one was cut short, I've fixed it now.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015

Mr. BG likes this.
  20. rickvdsommen

rickvdsommen , Dec 11, 2015 :
    Haha, thats dutch. :p
    He said: The gorilla glass isn't that strong. There are small scratches on it.

OmarFPG likes this.