My OP2 Experience

1. Xaero91
    Gingerbread Oct 24, 2015

Xaero91 , Oct 24, 2015 :
    Hi all,

I wanted to share my general OP2 experience to anyone who might be interested.

First of all, I'm blown away of the OnePlus price/quality comparison and I recommend this phone to anyone with a 400-something budget! Overall I'm very satisfied. :)

I was skeptical at first, because I know OnePlus is a marketing experiment gone bad and the first batches of their devices have some issues, but I can appreciate the value of this product apart from the company's mistakes. I will not go into OnePlus company aspects anymore except for saying please fire the OP marketing department and get rid of the invite system after a short amount of time. I can understand the invite system can be an added value at the very start of the launch of a flagship product. But it simply takes too long with OP, which has a lot of consequences.
    Hint: don't use it for non-flagship products at all, like the upcoming OnePlus X. Get your priorities straight.

So, on topic:
    I've ordered my OP2 on 29/09 with an invite that I received by a kind Tweakers.net member, it was shipped on 30/09 and it arrived on 01/10, thats 2 days after I placed the order.
    DHL Express shipping was really fast (UK to Belgium according to the track & trace feature) but the device and it's accessories were delivered in a bag, a plastic bag (with loose boxes in it) o_O...

Anyway I didn't care a lot about the packaging as I was happy to receive it that quickly and I couldn't find any traces of bad handling, the device and accessories were not damaged and working perfectly. I guess I was lucky.

The order :D
    [​IMG]
    I liked all accessories a lot, good build quality and aesthetics. Except for the red finish, which I dislike (but this is very subjective of course).

Next to those I've ordered several cases from Amazon.co.uk, check out my case reviews here https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/five-op2-case-reviews.391819/#post-13758644

Out of the box the hardware and software seemed to be a good combination, the device was running smooth and stable. My battery life was acceptable, after tweaking some settings it started to last longer.
    I like OOS a lot honestly, nearly stock Android with some nice customization features and no bloat-ware at all. I also like the Shelf they've added, but it should have a bit more customization options, just like the OS itself. I simply installed Nova Launcher to do be able to do a lot more UI improvements.

After a while I rooted it for some extra customization possibilities and development aspects. I will go into the details of this in another thread that I will start soon, How I customized my OP2.
    To keep it short: I really like the stock OS/ROM and Kernel as they do a good job, only a custom Recovery like TWRP is a must have imo. ;)
    The AnTuTu benchmarks averaging 64k and I expect to push it up to 67.5k with a custom Kernel.

Long story short, the awesome specs of this device come out even better with some customization (like any other phone). It can run smoothly whatever I throw at it to and my battery lasts for at least 2 days with moderate to heavy usage. :)
    I will try to charge it every night anyway as I've read that it's healthier for this kind of battery.

The lack of NFC is a bummer, but I will probably get around this by using a smart watch that supports it.
    I like the USB-C adapter, but it really should've been USB 3.1!
    Dual-nano SIM is a nice feature that I will probably use in the future, work related.

The Camera is great, I don't take a lot of pictures but the ones I took are quite amazing, even low-light shots and other crappy environments to take pictures in. Really like the focus on this thing as well, it's awesome.

I really like the aesthetics of this device, there are not a lot of phones I like more on this aspect, it's a personal matter. Anyway I think the design rocks.

So I can confirm I actually have zero issues with this phone :D especially taking into account that it's really cheap for those kind of specs. Also, I'm quite sure people having issues aren't part of a silent majority either, chances are their devices are part of the first few batches if you ask me.

Atm I'm waiting for OOS 3.0 featuring Android 6.0, that would be great :)
    Oh and the alert slider is great, nice addition but needs more options imo, hope this will be improved in the future.

Might be nice to know I stepped up from a Nexus 5, and don't want to go back for sure! Made my gf happy with it instead.

I will give a heads up when I've posted my customization thread.

Any questions are welcome, I will reply when I can.
    Constructive feedback is appreciated :)

2. mjaniec
    Gingerbread Oct 24, 2015

mjaniec , Oct 24, 2015 :
    Interesting idea to use NFC-enabled watch as a replacement of sort for lack of NFC in OnePlus Two,

Please let know when it works.

marinobiagio and Xaero91 like this.
  3. Xaero91
    Gingerbread Oct 24, 2015

Xaero91 , Oct 24, 2015 :
    I guess it should work out, I will if it does.

mjaniec likes this.
  4. samven582
    Gingerbread Oct 24, 2015

5. dineshrathod
    Donut Oct 24, 2015

radster72, ppp999, kunalkatre and 2 others like this.
  6. Papao
    KitKat Oct 24, 2015

Papao , Oct 24, 2015 :
    Your experience report accepted, you got A+++ from me, based on bad & good standard...........:D:D:D:D:D

Xaero91 likes this.
  7. locxFIN
    KitKat Oct 24, 2015

Xaero91 likes this.
  8. Xaero91
    Gingerbread Oct 24, 2015

Xaero91 , Oct 24, 2015 :
    Cheers.

Yeah I am, I've read you had more or less of a similar experience with your upgrade from the N5 :)

9. locxFIN
    KitKat Oct 24, 2015

locxFIN , Oct 24, 2015 :
    Yeah, pretty much! :)

10. gas14
    Honeycomb Oct 24, 2015

gas14 , Oct 24, 2015 :
    nice experience nice to see other people in the same case ..
    let us know about the NFC watch workaround ;-)

mjaniec and Xaero91 like this.
  11. mjaniec
    Gingerbread Oct 26, 2015

12. alfonso.lopez08
    Honeycomb Oct 26, 2015

alfonso.lopez08 , Oct 26, 2015 :
    Thanks @Xaero91

The good reviews like this one are the good vibe we need around here lately, despite the haters.

I totally agree with you, the alert slider could be improve and the volume rocker too. I'm using SoundHUD to get all my volumens in the rocker (media, ringtone and alarm).

Also, I'm using Notifyer to get the "red bubbles" notifications on icons like Whatsapp, Facebook, etc. This is because my girlfriend bougth the OP2 too, and she was asking for the bubbles as she used to have a Samsung S4 which had this and Mr. Google told me about the Notifyer app.

I'm loving the camera with f/2.0 aperture :)

Xaero91 likes this.
  13. ss872
    Gingerbread Oct 26, 2015

ss872 , Oct 26, 2015 :
    Had similar experience with opt just don't care about NFC.

Xaero91 likes this.
  14. Xaero91
    Gingerbread Oct 26, 2015

Xaero91 , Oct 26, 2015 :
    Cheers, thanks for your reply.
    Interesting, might take a look at Notifyer.

Cool.I don't care about it that much either, yet.
    But when NFC becomes essential in the near future, I'll give it a shot with a smart watch that supports it.

15. Spliffman
    KitKat Nov 7, 2015

Spliffman , Nov 7, 2015 :
    Garbage comment

tobias14 likes this.
  16. sshubhamnaik
    Cupcake Nov 7, 2015

Xaero91 likes this.
  17. Xaero91
    Gingerbread Nov 9, 2015

18. BrotherHelmer
    Cupcake Nov 9, 2015

Xaero91 likes this.
  19. Xaero91
    Gingerbread Nov 9, 2015

Xaero91 , Nov 9, 2015 :
    Awesome! Hope you will enjoy it as much as I do (or even more of course) ;)

ejnetaps likes this.
  20. radster72
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 9, 2015

radster72 , Nov 9, 2015 :
    Thanks for sharing your review of the OP2. It must be a Christmas morning for you.

Xaero91 likes this.