My OPO issues

1. AtLemacks
    Honeycomb Jul 13, 2014

AtLemacks , Jul 13, 2014 :
    BEFORE YOU READ/COMMENT/ETC: Keep in mind I AM NOT new to this stuff! Don't ask me if I tried x or y generic simple solution, I have.

1. In Call Volume - Wow, it is absolutely terrible even on speaker it's very very low (yes the volume's are all turned all the way up)!
    This really baffles me because they speakers themselves are very loud and fairly crisp. Compared to the S5, they have to be at least twice as loud! Compared to the M8, well I haven't had my M8 in several months, but I'd say it's right on par. Compared to the Nexus 5 and Nexus 4, it's like night and day. OP did a good job with media audio.

2. CM's Camera App - A couple occasions now I have been tricked by the camera app. Google Camera, and other OEM camera apps on their devices typically revert back to "default" modes after you close the app. CM's app doesn't, it maintains everything you set, meaning if you were taking HFR video at 720p120fps and didn't revert it back to your preferred setting before closing it would still utilize that mode on the next launch. I found this frustrating when launching the app using the gesture after pulling it out of my pocket to snap a spontaneous video. It kept shooting (grainy as hell) 720p120fps.
    I have the Google Camera App installed as well, and I guess Google hasn't built the app to utilize higher resolution video modes. The highest it'll allow on the rear camera is 1080p (no fps specified), and the highest for the front camera is 720p.

3. On Screen Buttons - I prefer to use on screen rather than capacitive, but in the CM settings my menu/back button swap will not stick, not matter how many times I save it. I have never had this issue on any other device.

4. Capacitive Buttons - Could they be any duller? They're so poorly lit that half the roof on the home button barely appears, and the menu button is non-existent in any decent lighting.

5. Screen Brightness Outdoors - I have 2 issues here, the dynamic adjustment is EXTREMELY slow, the other is when using the camera app, or viewing media it adjusts itself to damn near ZERO visibility outside. This is a huge issue for me because I have 17 pairs of Oakley's that are all polarized, which apparently with JDI displays become invisible (because none of my other devices - S5/M8/N5/N4 had this issue). I noticed when I was trying to record some videos/take pics outdoors the other day that I thought my screen was off, so I was tapping the screen and hitting the power button repeatedly to which I kept hearing the lock/unlock sounds. I thought the device had locked up, until I took my sunglasses off and realized it just adjusted itself to a point that was invisible through polarized lenses.

Here's a couple pics of things I am talking about. WIN_20140712_194407.JPG WIN_20140712_194459.JPG Screenshot_2014-07-12-19-25-25[1].png Screenshot_2014-07-12-19-36-19[1].png

2. Court Mejias
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 13, 2014

Court Mejias , Jul 13, 2014 :
    Go to the buttons settings for the settings on the buttons. And two that's not the stock camera app, its the google camera app.

parsa5 likes this.
  3. ddd4
    Honeycomb Jul 13, 2014

AtLemacks and kool like this.
  4. AtLemacks
    Honeycomb Jul 13, 2014

Good job not reading. Pointless reply.

SanjithaD likes this.
  5. AtLemacks
    Honeycomb Jul 13, 2014

I won't keep my own hopes up, lol.

6. ddd4
    Honeycomb Jul 13, 2014

ddd4 , Jul 13, 2014 :
    Well mine is shipping soon so hopefully no yellow. If you don't have it now you should be in good shape.

AtLemacks likes this.
  7. damian_44
    Honeycomb Jul 13, 2014

damian_44 , Jul 13, 2014 :

Interesting.
    If feasible, consider seeing if a stable build of CM11 does a better job than CM11S.

8. ziprom
    KitKat Jul 13, 2014

ziprom , Jul 13, 2014 :
    These are version 1.0 smartphones.

Many bugs and annoyances are to be expected. This time next year the product will be improved.

9. ddd4
    Honeycomb Jul 13, 2014

ddd4 , Jul 13, 2014 :
    This time next year this phone will be outdated including when the nexus 6 comes out. They need to get these issues under control now.

10. ziprom
    KitKat Jul 13, 2014

ziprom , Jul 13, 2014 :
    While I don't disagree, I'm simply giving feedback based on years of working in the high tech industry and my observation of this companies practices.

11. AtLemacks
    Honeycomb Jul 13, 2014

You must have never owned a smartphone. The hardware we have right now is far from "version 1.0", more like the 20-30's just of this device itself. The OS is always evolving, which leads to something typically being broken by each update. Next year we will be back at square 1 with Android L.

12. AtLemacks
    Honeycomb Jul 13, 2014

I'd considered that. Haven't had time though.

13. ddd4
    Honeycomb Jul 13, 2014

ddd4 , Jul 13, 2014 :
    This companies practices are pretty much garbage. I have been here a little after you and have you seen any improvement in their practices?

14. ziprom
    KitKat Jul 13, 2014

ziprom , Jul 13, 2014 :
    You've brought up a good point, I don't even know what a cell phone is. Your insight is brilliant. I thought this was a gardening forum.

AtLemacks likes this.
  15. thisguysayswht

thisguysayswht , Jul 13, 2014 :
    What about the screen, are you experiencing any yellow tint on the bottom if the display? Every thing else (except captive brightness, and display visibility) seems to be able to be fixed via software. My main concern with this phone right now is the yellow tint on the bottom of the display...

16. AtLemacks
    Honeycomb Jul 13, 2014

17. pcapela

18. AtLemacks
    Honeycomb Jul 13, 2014

If the problem with the display and using polarized lenses only happens in certain circumstances, that doesn't always mean it's software. I don't have the yellow, at least not yet or that I have noticed.

19. thisguysayswht

thisguysayswht , Jul 13, 2014 :
    Ya, I edited my post with those points right before you replied, its definitely not software on those points. Good to hear it isn't plagued with the yellow tint. That would bother me more than anything else (not that the problems you have addressed are acceptable).

AtLemacks likes this.