My phone thinks it's on 5G

1. JoeRodge
    Donut May 5, 2020

JoeRodge , May 5, 2020 :
    For the past day it has said I am on 5G. The speeds are no different at all. To my knowledge 5G doesn't even exist in Roseville/Rocklin, CA. The speeds are actually the same or a little lowerthan LTE. Though the upload speed did seem to over double from 9 Mbps to 19Mbps. Anyone have an opinion on this? Has anyone seen this?

I have T-Mobile.

2. ChandlerDrummond
    Froyo May 5, 2020

ChandlerDrummond , May 5, 2020 :
    T-Mobile uses low band 5G and it is pretty widely available. You can check on T-Mobile’s website for coverage but most of their LTE footprint has 5G. Speeds aren’t much of an improvement over LTE and are actually very similar to LTE. You are probably using 5G and may not know it because it’s close to LTE speeds

Just looked and their map say there isn’t any 5G in your area but they roll it out quickly. They may have it in your area but haven’t updated their map

3. Phillstanyo , via OnePlus 8 Pro Onyx Black , May 7, 2020 :
    Same here. I'm with SMARTY in the UK, who uses Three's network. Whilst Three does have 5g rolling out right now, SMARTY have stated that they don't have it now but will implement it in the future. I'm very confused haha

4. Big Cam
    Honeycomb May 7, 2020

Big Cam , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 7, 2020 :
    This is one of the big confusions with 5g.

Technically T-mobile uses a 5g wave but it's not really 5g in my eyes, not when Verizon LTE is faster than it in pretty much every test I've seen.

True 5g is millimeter wave which, as crazy fast as it is, isn't realistic ever, they will never get true 5g coverage like they have for LTE now, not when it only covers a block at a time and if a bird gets in between you and a tower you drop connection.