My story: battery drain & typing issues

?

Do you experience touchscreen problems on CM11S/4.4, too?

1. Yes

55.3%
  2. No

44.7%
  1. TeaRex
    Froyo May 28, 2015

TeaRex , May 28, 2015 :
    Hallo, Hello, Salut,

I want to share my short story of my experience and handling of the ghost typing/typing issues and Google Play Services killing my battery.

TL;DR included at the bottom.

Trivia: I followed OnePlus a long time but never had the chance to buy it (due to the lack of invites), but in december 2014 my time was there: I got an invite and bought it immediately.

It was the best decision I could have made. I had and still have a lot of fun with the device (64GB); I love it.
    I never had any issues (luckily).

So here we go:

A few weeks ago, I got the OTA update for CM12 Lollipop.
    In a good mood and expecting magical fairies I installed the update.

The first days everything went fine, until I noticed a weird behavior during typing something.
    I ignored it the first time, but it didn't vanished, so I looked into it, did research 'n stuff.

Apparently, I am not alone. More users complained about this issue and news pages published articles.

With the announcement of a possible fix my hope began to rise but fell shortly after the message, that the fix would be removed due to battery draining.

So I decided to flash back to CM11 44S to get rid of the draining.

Easy to say, first I had to find a download link for CM11S - CM itself does not seem to provide any.
    I found the rom I needed here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-one/general/official-cm11s-roms-ota-updates-t2906746

I have some experience flashing android phones (My old phone is a nexus 4) but I wanted to take a guide, to prevent mistakes.

I found this guide and followed it along:
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...oader-install-custom-recovery-and-root.64487/
    Thanks to @Chromium1

The next issue came up with flashing TWRP. EVERY SINGLE TIME I flashed it, CM decided to overwrite it with the stock recovery, even with disabled overwriting.
    Later I had enough and flashed CWM without problems.

Next steps: flashing 44S and GApps.
    No problems at all.

After making my phone comfortable again, installing apps and stuff I went to sleep. In the middle of the night I woke up and removed the power cable from my phone. Fully charged. Went to sleep again.

The next morning, first look on the phone: The SHOCK! 87% battery remaining. The normal value would be 95 - 97% , so what happened?

Looked into the battery usage: Google Play Services.

Okay, don't worry.
    Normal use on this day.
    Noticed weird touchscreen behavior again. Please, in the name of Helix, let it not be ghost typing/issues. Helix denied me.
    Battery draining AND touchscreen issues I wanted to get rid of. Good job.

Tried to use it as usual. Did a bit of research for preventing the GPServices to drain my battery.

Ah! Update xnph05q available. Provides fix for the touchscreen. Download. Installing..
    Aborted.

Great.
    Tried again. Aborted.

Downloaded an incremental stock update and tried to flash it using CWM. Aborted. Assert fail.
    Doing massive research I found this thread:
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/fix-assert-failed-errors-when-flashing-cm-11s-05q-in-twrp. and used (if I can remember correctly) the Modified OTA zip file in method 1.

Worked like a charm. But: battery still draining. Touchscreen still drunk.
    Research time.

Prevent GPS from using Wake Up and Keep Alive.

Used the inbuilt privacy manager to set this .
    Didn't work. Additionally, GPS keeps crashing now because I removed its right to wake the device up.

MOAR RESEARCH!

The solution:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/gen...stemupdateservice-wakelock-t3060548?nocache=1

Bought Autostarts.
    Disabled the described receivers.

OBSERVE!

Seems to work.
    Next morning, 95% battery remaining. Phew. No crashs so far. Good.

But my touchscreen? Still on drugs.

I will wait with the update back to CM12 (I mean, I like 11S/Android 4.4 more) until there is a fix.
    None of the solutions google came up with worked.

This is really bad because it makes a typing flow impossible.
    "Lets put there a character.. And here.. Break into his typing and choose this word.. Swipe there.. But a space here.. And a dot on this position"

For my birthday, I only have one wish. Provide us a solution for the touchscreen problem, both for CM12 and CM11S.

TL;DR:
    Touchscreen issues after update to CM12
    Battery draining AND touchscreen issues after flashing back to CM11S
    Solution for battery draining found
    Still touchscreen issues.

If you followed my story, praise helix.
    Let me know what you think, critics 'n stuff.

Do you have a solution for the touchscreen problem on 4.4? Experiencing it, too?

Best regards

-------------
    EDIT:
    Thanks to @DaxNagtegaal for his mention, I finally flashed my first kernel - Boeffla Kernel for 4.4.4.
    The touchscreen is now super smooth and if I can remeber correctly even better than the standard kernel.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015

augustopalma likes this.
  2. sp99
    Community Veteran May 28, 2015

sp99 , May 28, 2015 :
    Flash CM12.1 nightlies and then one of the latest TYR kernels with the touchscreen fix and don't deny wake up and keep awake to things!

PRK.R likes this.
  3. redleema
    KitKat May 28, 2015

redleema , May 28, 2015 :
    Take the caps lock off and you might get a reasonable response. :p

4. very ape
    Gingerbread May 28, 2015

very ape , May 28, 2015 :
    I'm experiencing almost the same thing... Typing became absolutely impossible. Even when typing slowly everything gets totally messed up. I have not tried flashing back to CM11S yet but I'm kinda sure the problems occurred even before the update to CM12S.

5. guijan12
    KitKat May 28, 2015

guijan12 , May 28, 2015 :
    You should have replied to this
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/what-are-you-drinking-tonight.162596/

thread, before starting your own. :D:D

6. TeaRex
    Froyo May 28, 2015

guijan12 likes this.
  7. guijan12
    KitKat May 28, 2015

guijan12 , May 28, 2015 :
    Well, I wasn't too serious, today, and saw your post and that post at the same time.
    I started reading your thread, then saw it's a really long story, and found out you included a TLDR at the end (that's a good thing, imo).

So I felt a bit like trolling, but I'll stop now.

TeaRex likes this.
  8. TeaRex
    Froyo May 28, 2015

TeaRex , May 28, 2015 :
    But if there is any chance to get a fix on CM11S I wouldn't like to update

9. sp99

sp99 , May 28, 2015 :
    Don't think so :(
    Why don't you want to update?

10. DaxNagtegaal
    Marshmallow May 28, 2015

DaxNagtegaal , May 28, 2015 :
    Flash Boeffla kernel for 4.4.4 he has the fix included.
    :D

sp99 and TeaRex like this.
  11. TeaRex
    Froyo May 28, 2015

TeaRex , May 28, 2015 :
    :(

I like 4.4 more. And I live believing that they don't let us behind, only fixing for CM12.
    That would be a really bad service.

12. TeaRex
    Froyo May 28, 2015

TeaRex , May 28, 2015 :
    I will look into it later, thank you!

DaxNagtegaal likes this.
  13. sp99

sp99 , May 28, 2015 :
    :(

DaxNagtegaal likes this.
  14. DaxNagtegaal
    Marshmallow May 28, 2015

DaxNagtegaal , May 28, 2015 :
    Say bye to any hope of decent battery life with that touchscreen firmware, I went from 8 hours average to 4h30m average

15. BradRDavis
    Jelly Bean May 28, 2015

BradRDavis , May 28, 2015 :
    Can I ask you how long the first boot after a kernel flash should take? I flashed Boeffla after you recommended it in another thread. After about 5 min of the CM boot screen, I gave up and restored my nandroid backup. I'm on CM 12 nightlies btw. Thanks!

16. lwjm12
    Eclair May 28, 2015

lwjm12 , May 28, 2015 :
    I have all the same problems. I'm too untechnical to be doing the flashing rooting thing. This phone is, in trueth, a piece of junk. Customer service keep telling me to send them a video - like I can buy another phone, and then when it stops working in a meeting or while trying to find a map on a street, just pull out the other phone that I bought and start videoing it...

Truly awful phone (because the typing isn't the only problem...) with truly awful customer service.

17. TeaRex
    Froyo May 28, 2015

TeaRex , May 28, 2015 :
    Good that you say that because that's a reason not to flash it.
    My average battery life is from 08:00 AM till ~ 8/9 PM with approx. 25 - 35% remaining. Normal use.

I do not want to give that up.

18. TeaRex
    Froyo May 28, 2015

TeaRex , May 28, 2015 :
    Bootloop?
    I never flashed another kernel before, I'm very careful with this

19. BradRDavis
    Jelly Bean May 28, 2015

BradRDavis , May 28, 2015 :
    Not a bootloop. It was a single boot, it was just taking forever. I had taken a full backup though, so no worries :D

20. TeaRex
    Froyo May 28, 2015

TeaRex , May 28, 2015 :
    I wonder if, when I make a backup using CWM (it has this backup/restore function) and I break my phone if the backup contains the full system that I can restore and run easily?