My Suggestion On How To Check If Your Phone Has The Yellow Tint

1. kidrow
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 8, 2014

kidrow , Dec 8, 2014 :
    Hi all,

So I'm seeing quite a few folks confused by whether they have an OPO with the yellow tint issue or not, because it can be subtle. Plus as wonderful as the human brain is, it can often play tricks. So here's my experience.

A] Short Answer-
    Check on the Google Play Store. Read from #3.

[​IMG]
    Above: My Jaundiced OPO :). See the difference in the whites around the text between the top row & the bottom one.

B] Long Answer-
    1. The yellow tint/hue shift is visible mostly against a white/light background.

To test whether the issue exists on my device I first fired up Chrome. I immediately got a sense that something is off, down at the bottom. Felt as though the screen is a bit dirty below, but not really yellow. But the more I looked at it, the more I could see a shift to yellow. Then when I moved my eye to other parts of the screen, I could see yellow splotches there as well. So I naturally thought I'm imagining things.

Plus after a while your brain compensates & you start feeling that it's all even. So I switched the orientation from portrait to landscape to jog my brain & I could again see the yellowing, now to the right.

2. Next I compared the screen side by side with my Redmi 1s. I found that while the Redmi 1s' screen is much warmer (yellower) comparitively, it is still consistent all over.

3. I next fired up the Play Store & that's where I confirmed the issue. On the Play Store home, you have three apps arranged in a single row+three column configuration. They are set against a white & gray background.

When I keep my eyes on a single (three app) row & follow it as I scroll down, I can see it change colour towards the bottom. Scroll up & it gets whiter. Scroll down & it gets yellower.
    Another indicator is the gray background. The gray towards the bottom is yellowish vs that towards the middle & top.

Here is a video by Youtuber LEJ Copteros demonstrating something similar to what I'm saying on the Oppo Find 7a -

4. It is probably also apparent against a black background but I can't say for sure. On the settings screen, I feel there is a gradient visible. But whether that is a part of the design/background or because of the tint, I can't say.

Hope this helps someone who's unsure whether they have the issue in the 1st place, :). Cheers!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014

neisor, igeekyayush, ash621 and 7 others like this.
  2. igeekyayush
    KitKat Dec 8, 2014

igeekyayush , Dec 8, 2014 :
    Good sharing bro. This way users can check for Yellow Tint and Chrome comes pre-installed in every OPO.

Keep sharing. You Rock!!

also guys also Participate in Invite Contest. You will win India Specific Invite for sure!! Go Here

3. raja_mastana
    Froyo Dec 8, 2014

raja_mastana , Dec 8, 2014 :
    Good tip.

But my suggestion is - why looks so hard to find yellow band? Your mind will start playing games once you do that.
    So my suggesstion is if you don't see it - don't look for it

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014

SRIDHARSWC, llcooljerry and BigP like this.
  4. kidrow

kidrow , Dec 8, 2014 :
    No. On the Play store, you don't have to look hard. It's obvious there. I just happened to share my entire experience. But for anyone reading this, just jump right into Google Play.

5. kaarth
    Gingerbread Dec 8, 2014

kaarth , Dec 8, 2014 :
    Good one. Also you can download a white screen app and check of you have yellow tint

6. kidrow

kidrow , Dec 8, 2014 :
    I just personally feel that your brain/mind plays a few tricks with a plain white screen. For instance, for me, when I tried out Google Chrome, I could see yellow splotches everywhere, :). Got me all the more confused.

7. neugal
    Honeycomb Dec 8, 2014

8. sukanta76
    Honeycomb Dec 8, 2014

sukanta76 , Dec 8, 2014 :
    you are suggesting 'ignorance is a bliss', however I would think - 'better safe than sorry'....who knows - a small tint today might spread across the whole screen tomorrow. Atleast if we check now we have a chance to replace

BigP likes this.
  9. Mr kryptonite

shrey7 likes this.
  10. Revan08
    Froyo Dec 8, 2014

Revan08 , Dec 8, 2014 :
    Dont seem to have any yellow tint on mine. Don't see any in chrome or even when google play store is open. Quite weirdly, now that I am aware about where to look, I seem to find a yellow tint at the bottom when I scroll. So I asked a bunch of friends to spot a yellow tint anywhere on the screen. Luckily no one could find any.

So I agree partly with what someone said above. If you look very hard, eventually you will find it. Whether it actually exists or not...

11. raja_mastana
    Froyo Dec 8, 2014

raja_mastana , Dec 8, 2014 :
    if there is a yellow band, it will be visible at first glance

12. kidrow
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 11, 2014

kidrow , Dec 11, 2014 :
    Updated 1st post with a photo to help confused souls. (& to serve as evidence for those who state that the problem does not exist, :)).
    Peace!

prafulrd likes this.
  13. CosmicPaladin
    Jelly Bean Dec 11, 2014

CosmicPaladin , Dec 11, 2014 :
    Mine had one... its kinda fading off day by day. Hope its gonna go soon! :D

14. kidrow

kidrow , Dec 11, 2014 :
    Probably scared off by all that metal you're playing! :D

CosmicPaladin likes this.
  15. kartik666

kartik666 , Dec 11, 2014 :
    Just visit these forums bhailog no need for playstore. Even as I type now i see yellow on white background lol

CosmicPaladin likes this.
  16. maze31
    Cupcake Dec 11, 2014

17. CosmicPaladin
    Jelly Bean Dec 11, 2014

18. CosmicPaladin
    Jelly Bean Dec 11, 2014

CosmicPaladin , Dec 11, 2014 :
    Good one ! :p

19. rationaldevil
    Honeycomb Dec 12, 2014

rationaldevil , Dec 12, 2014 :
    It is very clearly visible. Why didn't you return it?? There are OPOs with perfect white screens too. Here's a pic posted by OnePlus: https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/winners-which-one-is-the-one.42475/.

After much reading from forums, there are still conflicting reports and I still cannot find any sensible facts and opinions as to what is causing it. There's just too many reasons and weird solutions flying around.

Hope to get an official OnePlus response addressing this issue.

I have given up chances to get invites. And now I am not even trying.

I want to get this great device but not one which will annoy me.

metanuj and kidrow like this.
  20. arulkumaran
    Gingerbread Dec 12, 2014