My thoughts on the Oneplus 2 so far (in-depth review)

?

Was this review useful?

1. Yeah, thanks man!

2. Nope, garbage.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mistraval
    Froyo Sep 12, 2015

Mistraval , Sep 12, 2015 :
    All in all, I'm very happy with it. I've seen a lot of negative comments and reviews about the phone over the last few days... Honestly I think a lot of it is due to the ridiculous amount of hype surrounding the phone, unrealistic expectations, and people getting angry they don't have it yet. I'm not going to go too much in detail as far as specs on the phone, but I'll try to go over my immediate thoughts after using it for a couple days.

What's impressed me the most so far, is the fingerprint sensor. It's superb. Not once have I had a single issue with the sensor not working. Compared to the 2 or 3 people at my work with the S6 who often complain about the fingerprint sensor taking multiple attempts to scan successfully, it's a pretty significant accomplishment. The best part about it by far (besides it being extremely fast), is the fact that you can wake the phone with the fingerprint sensor alone. Again, compared to the S6 which requires you to wake the phone and then use the fingerprint sensor, it's remarkably superior.

Build Quality
    Regarding build quality, the metal chassis is a welcome upgrade over the Oneplus One. While the phone remains a touch heavier than its predecessor, the overall weight of the phone actually contributes to a very premium feel and experience when holding it. The sandstone back still feels great, although seems a bit rougher then that of the Oneplus One.

Performance
    As far as speed and performance is concerned, no complaints here at all. I haven't really spent the time testing out resource intensive applications and games but basic phone operations as well as multitasking several apps has been very snappy as should one should expect from an 8 core CPU. Whatever sort of throttling Snapdragon employed to counteract the heating issues, it isn't noticeable.

On the topic of heat, while the phone never got uncomfortably hot, it does get a bit warm on occasion. I have a feeling a lot of this is due the fact that phone is constructed with aluminium edges. Whether or not this improves with software updates remains to be seen. As of right now however, I'm not too concerned.

Another small improvement I've noticed is the vibration. Compared to the Oneplus One's vibration which was audibly loud and felt loose, vibration on the Oneplus 2 is extremely quiet and taught, almost to a fault. If you have your phone on silent, it's very possible you'll miss notifications while walking around or doing anything other than sitting. Considering phones vibrate a lot while in use however, be it with the capacitive buttons, or typing on the keyboard, it's definitely nicer.

Display
    While I've seen a few posts complaining of a yellow tint to the display, this is not something I've experienced or noticed myself. On the contrary, I find the display significantly better than that of the Oneplus One. While it certainly doesn't compete the new QuadHD displays of other flagship phones when it comes to screen density, it surprisingly holds its own when it comes to colour reproduction, display angles, contrast levels and overall brightness.

I actually did have one pretty major complaint regarding the display, thankfully however I was able to solve it with a software change, although it required root. For some reason Oneplus decided to employ a screen density of 480 on their phone. This means you get the same amount of screen real-estate you'd get on most 4 to 5 inch phones. As you can imagine, the end result is massive app icons, text far too large throughout the OS, and what feels like a major waste of such a large display. If you have the ambition and time to commit to rooting your phone to change the DPI (380 to 400 worked well for me), it is well worth the effort. It's worth nothing this feature is now available on stock CM12s. Should Oneplus have continued to offer it, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Software
    It is very clear to me OxygenOS is nothing more than an attempt to steer away from CyanogenMod. While it does have a few somewhat useful customizations over stock Android, it simply does not compete. Battery life, as was the case when I preformed the so-called upgrade on the Oneplus One is significantly subpar to CyanogenMod. You also lose some useful features like the App Firewall and the ability to tweak more or less everything on the phone.

An example of this is the extremely annoying charge light Oneplus decided to force on the phone. If you're one of the (I imagine many) who charge their phones on nightstands, prepare to have a bright red or green LED notification beside you each and every night. This was a toggle on CyangenMod, not with OxygenOS. Deal with it apparently.

Conclusion
    Annoyances aside, many of which can theoretically be solved with software, I am very happy with the phone. All things considered, it's a hell of a deal as far as value and price is concerned. That being said, it's probably worth mentioning that if you have a functioning Oneplus One, while the improvements with the Oneplus 2 are nice, they're certainly not ground breaking. I had the unfortunate experience of accidentally breaking my Oneplus One liquored one night so I found myself in a position of needing to purchase a new phone. Unless you've got some extra cash to spend and are emotionally ready to suffer through the invite system, I'm not sure I can necessarily say it's worth it.

Hopefully this review can give some insight to those either on the fence or considering purchasing the Oneplus 2. If you guys have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them over the next few days.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015

2. PlasticSkins
    Froyo Sep 12, 2015

Vector and pipecpa like this.
  3. gti631
    Eclair Sep 12, 2015

gti631 , Sep 12, 2015 :
    I agree. You can't find a phone out there for the price to compare. Congrats and enjoy.

robdam1001 and pipecpa like this.
  4. sleepdragonone
    KitKat Sep 12, 2015

5. wenndie
    Cupcake Sep 12, 2015

6. wenndie
    Cupcake Sep 12, 2015

wenndie , Sep 12, 2015 :
    I would like to know how good the battery life is, in your opinion.
    I have some negative comments. It packs a powerful battery, so the battery life should be good, even in your testing phase, right?

7. goelhoney
    Froyo Sep 12, 2015

goelhoney , Sep 12, 2015 :
    Nice review mate.Hope to get an invite today, am at the airtel store and am 7th in line for the invite. Waiting for the store to open.

8. aerodesi
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 12, 2015

9. wenndie
    Cupcake Sep 12, 2015

wenndie , Sep 12, 2015 :
    Nice avatar Mistraval!

10. aenews
    KitKat Sep 12, 2015

aenews , Sep 12, 2015 :
    Since you have root, I highly recommend you use Greenify and Amplify to maximize idle battery life. Just FYI. Makes a very big difference.

hellness likes this.
  11. Skf123
    Marshmallow Sep 12, 2015

Skf123 , Sep 12, 2015 :
    Thanks for the review.

You don't need to press power on the s6 to be able to use the fingerprint scanner, you just press the home button which wakes the phone as well as unlocking it.

malidan and aenews like this.
  12. Mistraval
    Froyo Sep 12, 2015

It's been okay. Not super, not terrible. While it certainly doesn't compete with the Oneplus One, it will last me an entire day. Since I charge my phone every night anyway, it hasn't really been a problem. I'll be interested to see what if any effect CM12s will have on battery when it becomes available.

13. Mistraval
    Froyo Sep 12, 2015

Light maybe, although for a user review I'd argue otherwise.

14. pipecpa
    Lollipop Sep 12, 2015

pipecpa , Sep 12, 2015 :
    Much more credible now. I even went back and read it. Thanks for the review.

OPFanBoyTillEnd, mwayner and Ashwith like this.
  15. Ashwith
    Jelly Bean Sep 12, 2015

16. biswadeepmishra
    Honeycomb Sep 12, 2015

17. Mistraval
    Froyo Sep 12, 2015

Thanks! I'll have to check it out.

18. larseisberg
    Honeycomb Sep 12, 2015

larseisberg , Sep 12, 2015 :
    This.