Mystery YouTube AMA - Guest and Winners Announced!

1. Ruby G.
    NA Community Manager Aug 14, 2018

Ruby G. , Aug 14, 2018 :
    RedAMA-SM+Forum-Aug17-Forum.png

Welcome to the first ever Mystery AMA on the OnePlus Community forums! We're excited for the fun times ahead. To keep things sane, please be sure to carefully read the following to make sure you understand how to win.
    • The mystery YouTuber will start posting their answers at 11PM HKT (aka 8:30 PM IST, 8AM PDT, 4PM BST, 5PM CEST). We'll pin their responses to the front so that you don't miss out. They'll need some time to type things out, so feel free to hang out and chat while you're waiting.
    • As soon as you think you know who it is, post the name of their YouTube account. Limited one guess per user in this AMA thread. Post editing after the answer is revealed, bots, multiple accounts from the same IP and VPN masking patterns of similar intent will be checked before we announce the winners.
    • We'll confirm the identity of the mystery YouTuber in the weekly update and on our social media account. Our guest will also post a confirmation message via their Twitter account. All prize winners will be announced via tags in this thread by August 24.
    Prizes recap: If your question is picked by the YouTuber, we'll send you a nice OnePlus voucher toward accessories and gear. If you're the first person to guess correctly, we'll send you their favorite variant of the OnePlus 6 with a note from the team. The next 5 people to guess correctly will win accessory bundles of their choice.

Cheers and have a blast, everyone!

8/21 Update:
    What an event. I personally had a blast and I think Zack got a great impression of our community. Yes, it was Zack of JerryRigEverything (see his confirmation tweet here).

*drumroll*

Now the moment you have all been waiting for. Please join me in congratulating the following winners.

The first user to guess correctly, thereby winning Zack’s favorite variant – the OnePlus 6 Red:
    @Aashish Kumar Shaw

The next 5 correct responses were made by these quick fellows. They will win an accessory bundle of their choice:
    @AnonymousWP
    @Benfica87
    @johneebee
    @W1526409089195
    @97pratyush

Thanks for the thoughtful and funny question submissions! The following users’ questions were picked by Zack. They’ll enjoy a $20 USD voucher (localized for your regional currency) toward accessories and gear:
    @Alvie
    @BeefSleeves
    @carlossavila, @Cheetosdust, @CianNW, @Corpablo, @CrazyBernie
    @darknetcs, @Dekend, @dimachox
    @Eslavath_Roshan
    @G_David_Vincent_eDwi
    @izzykasha
    @jagz87, @Jayan Karthik Pari, @justinhummel
    @luigimario
    @marstech91
    @omgitskd, @omnipresent
    @PsychoFox
    @rooneyj
    @sanket57, @sanki_man, @SJBoss
    @themaskofjordo, @To_Infinitea
    @wolf075
    @97pratyush

I’ll reach out to the winners about their prize details later this week. Again, thank you so much to those of you who made it to the AMA. If you’d like to see another Mystery AMA event again, let us know :cool:

MosheG1, aris, Venky61 and 94 others like this.
  2. Mr. Mystery Guest
    Official AMA guest Aug 17, 2018

Stickied Post

3. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post
    Mr. Mystery Guest , Aug 17, 2018 :
    Question:
    Smart phones are becoming more powerful and boring everyday, AI is overrated (merely more than a gimmick at this point) all smartphones looks the same (almost, thanks to the notch), with almost same configurations, given the top notch hardware all OS feels snappier Some beating others by 0.1 seconds? and it hardly matters in real life usage, so at this point what do you see or search for in a smart phone when choosing/buying a daily driver? And whats the point of $1000 flagships?

Answer:
    For me, one of the most important features of a smartphone is the camera. 4K video with good image quality... BUT the thing is... Most smartphones have had that capability for years now. So a 'NEW' flagship is not important.

TibiTibi, script, dsmonteiro and 24 others like this.
  4. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post
    Question:
    "Have you ever thought of moving into a corporate environment to assist technology companies? Rather than report on what companies are doing and innovating but actually getting involved in future tech?"

Answer:
    I have not. It is fun talking about large scale marketing and PR campaigns, but being 'stuck' with one company would not be the most efficient use of my time, i don't think.

5. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post
    Question:
    How is Mac doing?

Answer:
    I actually dont really like dogs that much... But I'm sure Mac is doing great.

6. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post
    Question:
    What does K stand for, in MKBHD?
    Answer:
    If I had to guess.... its gotta be kaleidoscope. Marques Kaleidoscope Brownlee HD.

7. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post
    Question:
    What suggestions are you going to give for a person starting a new YouTube channel?
    Answer:
    Consistency. SO MANY people start a channel and post 2 videos without ever developing themselves or their skills to the point where other people want to watch. My first 50 videos were pretty bad, until I got into a rhythm and found my 'voice'

8. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post
    Question:
    How did you decide to become a YouTuber?

Answer:
    I wanted to... this might be a big hint... help people fix stuff.

5star02707, DRCH, jpswer and 21 others like this.
  9. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post
    Question:
    If a movie was made about your life, what actor/actress would you want to play you?

Answer:
    Oh man. The Rock. For sure. 100%.

10. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post
    Question:
    Do you think phone modifications such as 'Moto Mods' or the LG mods will ever make a come back, or do you think it's never gonna happen again?
    Answer:
    No... And my reason for that would be because people want *easy* things. And having to remember multiple 'mods' or having to charge multiple devices that are outdated when you buy your next phone... Just isnt sustainable... or 'easy'

11. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post
    Question:
    If there were no apple phones, what difference would that have caused in the android market?
    Answer:
    I love the competition. I feel like in the beginning Apple and Android were competing hard core to be the best. Apple kinda gave up on being the most powerful and innovative, which is unfortunate. But they make a lot of money marketing to the people who dont need the latest and greatest and just want simple tech that works. So thumbs up to them. But that does slow down innovation as a whole.

12. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post
    Question: What was the first OnePlus phone you personally owned?
    Answer: My first OnePlus Phone was the OnePlus 2

13. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post
    Question: What's your favourite social media platform and why?
    Answer: Twitter. Definitely. I feel like with all the other platforms, posting more than once a day would be overkill. But Twitter, everyone is just there to have a conversation, and posting a lot is a good thing.

14. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post
    Question:
    What's your favorite cereal?
    Answer:
    I had cinnamon life this morning... so I guess you could say that one.

15. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post
    Question: You get to be the CEO of One Plus for a year, name the top changes you would make or maybe the things you would keep the same.
    Answer: Id make all the things transparent. ;-)

16. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post
    Question: What is the most satisfying aspect of your career as a Youtuber and what motivates you?
    Answer:
    I love helping people out. Knowing that my videos were able to help them solve a problem, or fix something, or make a good decision on a smart phone purchase. That makes me feel good, and keeps me making videos.

17. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post
    Question:
    If you were CEO of Apple, being a TRILLION dollar tech company, what would you do with that money or what kind of investment would you look into as far as tech?
    Answer:
    With that kind of money... it would change the world. Bill Gates and Microsoft basically got rid of Polio with 3 or 4 billion. Imagine what Apple could do if they were feeling generous with their Trillion. BUT if I needed to stick with technology specifically, I would still dump a ton of money into renewable tech, like figuring out how to successfully use recycled plastics and metal's into cell phones. Without mining all new materials each time a new phone comes out.

18. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post
    Question:
    Do you see an increase in phones battery life coming in the next few years or do you think that we will still be stuck with a day or day and a half of usage?
    Answer:
    I feel like Tesla is driving innovation when it comes to batteries. My hope is that Tesla's improvements with lithium (or other types of batteries) Trickle into the mobile tech world.

19. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post

20. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post
    Question:
    My Q: Do you feel the pop-out cameras will catch on?
    Answer:
    I think they might show up for the next year or so... BUT I think something else will take over after that. Cameras that can see through the display most likely.

MosheG1, vksinha, Only_Raj and 15 others like this.
  21. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post
    Question: how do you get some many subscribers,only having fun ? Tell us the secret?
    Answer: The only way to be successful as a YouTuber or entrepreneur is to find something that doesnt *feel* like work to you. Doing youtube, or starting any business is a TON of work. And you can see that the bigger YouTubers usually have hundreds if not Thousands of videos posted. They stuck with the work for a long time, and people are attracted to that kind of passion and hard work.

22. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post

23. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post
    Question:
    If you could capture one place in the world on your OnePlus camera, what would it be?
    Answer:
    One place on my bucket list is the Pyramids in Egypt. I would film that on a OnePlus phone so hard.

24. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post
    Question: What you think about glass back durability on OP6 and should they come back to metal back?
    Answer: Honestly, I'm fine either way. Metal and glass BOTH feel 'premium' and glass is relatively easy and inexpensive to replace if it does break. So... Its not a big deal.

25. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post
    Question:
    Why Blackberry manufacturer isn't in the game anymore?
    Answer:
    So, each little physical component on a phone (like each key on a keyboard) make the phone more expensive to manufacture. So blackberry is paying a ton of money to manufacture phones with keyboards, when its a very small percentage of people who are looking to buy a phone with a physical keyboard.

They are barking up the wrong tree if they want to be mainstream again.

They need to focus on style, and power, with a low price. (Like OnePlus did.)

26. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post
    Question:
    Why is industry going for expensive, slippery and brittle glass backs instead of premium (and still cheap) polycarbonate material which is durable, have better RF transmission and can support wireless charging (although I don't really care)?
    Answer:
    Its all about that premium look and feel. Plastic just doesn't have the same heaviness or niceness that people want in a flagship. So they'll pick metal or glass every time.

27. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post
    Question:
    Do you think OnePlus will ever go back to the awesome red batteries they once used? And, would you recommend they do a see through back glass cover?
    Answer:
    I doubt it..... but I still have my fingers crossed ;-)

28. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post

29. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post
    Question:
    Do you think 2K and 4K videos will actually be worth your processing time and viewer's bandwidth considering today's internet speeds around the world or is 1080p good enough for the next 10 years?
    Answer:
    YES. From a tech reviewers standpoint. Especially with cell phone repair (hint) those extra pixels help out a TON when I zoom in on small objects. Like screws, or little 'lego style' ribbon connectors.

30. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post
    Question:
    What are your thoughts about OnePlus Bullets Wireless?
    Answer:
    Ive literally used them at the gym every day for the past few months. They have good sound, reliable, and I havent lost them yet. So thats good. One thing I DONT like about them is that sometimes the headphones will come separated in my backpack, and my phone will automatically connect to them. (Since the headphones turn on when the ear buds arent magnetically put together.) And I wont notice for awhile.

31. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post
    Question: Have you ever got any offers from, manufacturers, to be biased towards some phone models when they come to you for reviews? How do you deal with them?
    Answer:
    Never. Not even once, in the whole history of my YouTube channel, have I have had a manufacture ask me to say something bad about a competitor. And I have never had a company ask me to go easy on their phone in exchange for money. (Most of the time, I buy my own phones to review anyway.)

32. Mr. Mystery Guest

Stickied Post
    THANK YOU FOR COMING OUT FOR THE MYSTERY AMA!!
    I have to take off. You guys rock!
    Thanks a ton for watching ;-) Ill see you around.

MosheG1, Alvie, prabhattomar and 27 others like this.
  33. aalsiBanda
    Gingerbread Aug 17, 2018

aalsiBanda , Aug 17, 2018 :
    This is my guess for who the mystery Youtuber is and I'm sure of it.

His youtube channel name is "JerryRigEverything".

Thank you for coming to OnePlus community forums. :)

34. meatandy
    Oreo Aug 17, 2018

meatandy , Aug 17, 2018 :
    My guess in advance of the AMA,
    John Rettinger from Technobuffalo

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018

35. Suheeth
    Eclair Aug 17, 2018

36. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Aug 17, 2018

Cheetosdust , Aug 17, 2018 :
    Thank you @Ruby G. and a special thanks to the mystery YouTuber.

Can't wait to check his/her replies.

Here's to a great afternoon! :cool:

Good luck to everyone that's going try to win the prizes.

Peace ;)

37. DeLeonR
    Froyo Aug 17, 2018

38. johneebee
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Aug 17, 2018

39. mjetje
    Eclair Aug 17, 2018

Vladut123, dalmia09 and meatandy like this.
  40. Praty_28
    KitKat Aug 17, 2018

Vladut123, meatandy and mjetje like this.
  41. Black Thunder
    Froyo Aug 17, 2018

42. meatandy
    Oreo Aug 17, 2018

meatandy , Aug 17, 2018 :
    Don't you have a pre-emptive guess ?:D

43. aj2989
    Honeycomb Aug 17, 2018

obhi, Vladut123 and meatandy like this.
  44. Shivang Joshi

45. BobbyV8_
    The Showcase Reviewer Aug 17, 2018

Vladut123, aj2989, Praty_28 and 2 others like this.
  46. ASCHENTE_V
    KitKat Aug 17, 2018

5star02707, Vladut123, aj2989 and 2 others like this.
  47. Reetej Kumar khadka
    Gingerbread Aug 17, 2018

Vladut123 and meatandy like this.
  48. Vinkel
    Jelly Bean Aug 17, 2018

49. B.yashaswi
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 17, 2018

Vladut123 likes this.
  50. AnonymousWP
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Aug 17, 2018

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018

manuel19, Vladut123 and meatandy like this.
  51. Cheetosdust

Cheetosdust , Aug 17, 2018 :
    I usually don't end my posts with "Peace" ;)