Navigation gestures - UX mistake

1. Jablonx
    Donut Jul 8, 2018

Jablonx , Jul 8, 2018 :
    This is relevant to the nevigation gestures instead of buttons on OnePlus 5t and 6.

- The gesture for Home is a swipe up from where the Home button used to be. This is good.

- The gesture for Back is a swipe up from where the Back button used to be. This is good too.

- Similarly, I expected the gesture for Overview (Recent Apps) to be a swipe up from where the Recent Apps button used to be. However, a swipe up there is also used for Back. And the gesture for Recent Apps is an awkward gesture that takes too much time to perform, because you need to swipe from middle and hold.

I don't know why there is double gestures for the Back. I assume because the dev thought Back is more used than Overview. However, people also use the Recent Apps / Overview and the lack of easy gesture to get there makes it very hard to use gestures. It's much more natural and easy to get used to if the UI is consistent.

Another problem with the navigation gestures is the lost functionality of other gestures of double tapping buttons and long holding buttons that existed with physical and software buttons, E.g. I could define double tap Recent Apps for split screen, or double tap Back button for Last Used App.

SUGGESTED SOLUTION:

I would like to suggest a solution that solves both issues described above.

Please allow to customize the Navigation Gestures as follows.

The OS will distinguish between the following gestures, and allow to attach actions to each (same as was possible before with customer button gestures). The system will also check that Back, Home and Recent Apps were attached to at least one geature before applying.

The gestures are:
    1.1. swipe up from bottom left - default Back
    1.2. swipe up and hold from bottom left - user defined
    1.3. swipe up then down from bottom left - user defined
    2.1. swipe up from bottom mid - default Home
    2.2. swipe up and hold from bottom mid - user defined
    2.3. swipe up then down from bottom mid - user defined
    3.1. swipe up from bottom right - default Recent Apps
    3.2. swipe up and hold from bottom right - user defined
    3.3. swipe up then down from bottom right - user defined

1531057002915.jpg

1531057002948.jpg

2. MANUDHOMRA
    Gingerbread Jul 8, 2018

airiartev and Jablonx like this.
  3. RamQ
    Froyo Jul 8, 2018

RamQ , Jul 8, 2018 :
    The swipe up then down gesture won't be good
    it'll cause a delay when swiping from the side to go back.. because it'll wait a bit to check if there's a down if you get what I'm sayin

LeoGouveia likes this.
  4. MANUDHOMRA
    Gingerbread Jul 8, 2018

MANUDHOMRA , Jul 8, 2018 :

RamQ

The swipe up then down gesture won't be good
    it'll cause a delay when swiping from the side to go back.. because it'll wait a bit to check if there's a down if you get what I'm sayin​

it is suggested option, of course OnePlus is gonna put some R&D before mplementation, but there should be more gesture option for sure

Jablonx likes this.
  5. Saniubah75
    Gingerbread Jul 8, 2018

Saniubah75 , Jul 8, 2018 :
    how can you introduce these gestures to oneplus 5 since we are still waiting for oneplus android p?

6. Matt 80
    Lollipop Jul 8, 2018

Jablonx likes this.
  7. MANUDHOMRA
    Gingerbread Jul 8, 2018

8. Matt 80
    Lollipop Jul 8, 2018

Matt 80 , Jul 8, 2018 :
    It's the only place it'll get noticed my friend, oneplus don't read these threads.

Jablonx likes this.
  9. Srv.oneplus
    Eclair Jul 8, 2018

Srv.oneplus , Jul 8, 2018 :
    back gesture is good... the way it is now
    because... think about when u rotate ur mobile...
    or if you're using your left hand...

10. Srv.oneplus
    Eclair Jul 8, 2018

it would be good if we see... swipe up short to home (under 1 or 1.5 inch)... swipe up long to go to recent... (above 2inch)... and it's my opinion...

11. Jablonx
    Donut Jul 8, 2018

12. Jablonx
    Donut Jul 8, 2018

Jablonx , Jul 8, 2018 :
    If you are lefty, you have the option to switch location of the Back and Recent Apps buttons. This will also switch the location of the swipe gestures.

Srv.oneplus likes this.
  13. Srv.oneplus
    Eclair Jul 8, 2018

i'm not lefty but... i got it useful... when i have to rotate my device... while gaming... and u will notice ... if u rotate ur device when you find your right hand covering phne's loud speaker...

14. Jablonx
    Donut Jul 8, 2018

Jablonx , Jul 8, 2018 :
    can you rotate to the other direction, or the apps don't support it? then you have the Back closer :)

15. Jablonx
    Donut Jul 8, 2018

Jablonx , Jul 8, 2018 :
    I can't find the Feedback form. Where is it?

Matt 80 likes this.
  16. Jablonx
    Donut Jul 8, 2018

Jablonx , Jul 8, 2018 :
    I don't think I understood. if you mean in landscape mode, then in landscape it will be swipe left, then right

17. Srv.oneplus
    Eclair Jul 8, 2018

i mean... rotating in 180...
    while gaming in landscape...(Ex. MKX, pubg)... i can't hold my device without covering speaker... So i have to rotate it in other direction... that time its helpful to use that dual side back gesture...
    (please don't take grammar classes... i know I'm bad in English [e]1f616[/e])

18. Matt 80
    Lollipop Jul 8, 2018

Matt 80 , Jul 8, 2018 :
    Click on the link I supplied earlier, then select submit bug.

19. rkj347
    Eclair Jul 8, 2018

20. Jablonx
    Donut Jul 8, 2018