Need advice. Should I upgrade from 7 pro?

1. Mat_Thieu
    Gingerbread Apr 22, 2020

Mat_Thieu , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Apr 22, 2020 :
    To be honest, I missed my OP 7 pro...

The principal issue is that edges are really too much curved... The navigation gestures are really hard to use. Futhermore if there text or image in edge it creates a nasty 3d effect and we can't read correctly without speaking of reflects...

Furthermore scrolling is not smooth as it should be especially in Chrome and Play store. Hope a firmware update will fix this.

Killing Intent likes this.
  2. Federico Prencipe
    Honeycomb Apr 22, 2020

Federico Prencipe , Apr 22, 2020 :
    So the screen is more curved than 7 Pro (and 7T Pro of course since they're identical)?
    They didn't learn anything from Samsung...this is disappointing

3. Mat_Thieu
    Gingerbread Apr 22, 2020

Mat_Thieu , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Apr 22, 2020 :
    Yes it more curved. Totally agree my wife has the S20+ and the screen is slightly curved it is more pleasant to use especially for selecting text in edges or back gestures

Federico Prencipe likes this.
  4. Federico Prencipe
    Honeycomb Apr 22, 2020

Yes because Samsung has tried and learnt starting from 8 series, the S20 is close to perfection, is the 4th version of infinity display. OnePlus should have learnt from others' mistakes

Killing Intent and Mat_Thieu like this.
  5. StopItRawr
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 22, 2020

StopItRawr , Apr 22, 2020 :
    This isn't a phone for 7 Pro or 7T Pro owners really.

Most people upgrade on their 2 year cycles and this is thus a huge upgrade over the 6/6T, not the 7.

Of course going from a pop up camera to a hole punch is a major design regression and until under display selfie cameras exist, the loss of screen estate just isn't worth it. Once you go full screen you just don't go back.

6. oneplusonedollarbillyall
    KitKat Apr 22, 2020

oneplusonedollarbillyall , Apr 22, 2020 :
    The days of upgrading every year are and have been OVER.

Russel.lopes likes this.
  7. Killing Intent , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Apr 22, 2020 :
    So this can be expected from almost all OLED screens?

8. Federico Prencipe
    Honeycomb Apr 22, 2020

No, only some models. I mean it's a possible problem of oled displays, if you make a good display it won't have this problem, if you don't make it well...it could happen.
    I have been using oled phones for years, I remember 5 phones, two Samsung, Huawei and now OnePlus and none of them had this problem. OnePlus 8 Pro has it, at least from reviews, but pretty reliable reviews

9. B1543187143799
    Cupcake Apr 22, 2020

B1543187143799 , Apr 22, 2020 :
    no it's not worth it.

I have just started the returns process for my 8 pro because the slight upgrades are not worth it for the biggest downgrade (the hole punch)

I have packed it up and I'm back on my 7 pro 5G

10. Rips239
    Froyo Apr 25, 2020

Rips239 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Apr 25, 2020 :
    I had the 7pro and have now had the 8 pro for a week. both are really nice phones.

The hole punch is hardly noticeable.

Unless you have to have the latest and greatest ( I'm obsessed !!) then no it's not worth the upgrade.

11. dandan112988
    Eclair Apr 27, 2020

dandan112988 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Apr 27, 2020 :
    I have a 7T pro McLaren 5G. the wireless charger really is amazing. it's so nice to just plop it on your desk and charge without plugging in and out constantly. the cameras on the back are very good. they put up a good fight against my iPhone 11 pro max. battery life is also significant. so overall yes I think it's worth it. I'm selling my McLaren now in eBay. it was good while I had it.

jwheadley likes this.
  12. Soulshot96
    Donut Apr 27, 2020

Soulshot96 , Apr 27, 2020 :
    I just upgraded from a 7 Pro myself. While the hole punch is a bit of a bummer, it's about as small as it gets and off to the side. The 120hz display (especially since you get the option to use it at QHD), higher peak brightness, 10 bit color, MUCH better HDR video playback, better cameras, 30W wireless charging (and that's coming from someone that kinda dislikes wireless charging), proper water resistance rating, better build quality/design, improved battery life over my 7 Pro and general feel in hand make it worth it. It's probably the best high end smartphone out right now.

The only things that bug me at all are the removal of the OnePlus gestures, leaving only Google's Android 10 gestures and the 3 buttons as options, and the curve on the edge of the screen being a tiny bit more extreme than I would like. Minor issues that I am already getting used to.

Just my 2 cents, but especially for $291, I would grab it.

13. flagshipkiller2014
    Gingerbread Apr 27, 2020

14. jwheadley
    Eclair Apr 27, 2020

jwheadley , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 27, 2020 :
    How much do you want for it?

15. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Apr 27, 2020

The1Lion , Apr 27, 2020 :
    That depends on what you prefer in your phone. Some feel the OP8 is a step back from the OP7 as far as design goes (interesting enough, I saw a rumor Samsung will have a popup camera in one of their upcoming phones- A series though). The 8Pro offers some enhancements over the 7Pro however so ask yourself if those enhancements are needed for you and worth the price.

16. Peyton1318
    Eclair Apr 28, 2020

Peyton1318 , Apr 28, 2020 :
    I would wait until they fix the display issues. if it is hardware based they will have to put new hardware in the phones after launch. I was going to upgrade to the 8 pro from my 7 pro but not anymore. at least until the issues are fixed.