Need insights on Dash Charger and USB-Type C port

?

Is type C port a major concern for you ?

1. Hell Yeah

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Not at all

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. It doesn't affect me

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. mrahul1987
    Donut Jun 16, 2016

mrahul1987 , Jun 16, 2016 :
    Hello guys,

The OP3 is receiving glorified reviews from everywhere and I am all set to buy the phone but I am confused on a few things which I hope you guys can clarify. There are only two points which are bothering me

1. Non-expandable memory.
    2. USB Type C Port.

I could have used OTG drives to counter 1st point but 2nd point kind of screwed me on that as well. Currently I have a ton of peripherals (OTG drives, cables, adapters) supporting micro USB. I just want to know about the compatibility part. Please answer below scenarios, if possible -

A. I read that the DASH charger block has all the electronics along with special Type-C cable for supporting QC. Since DASH charger block has Type A receptacle, can I use a normal Type C cable with the OP DASH charger. Will phone charge normally or it gives some fast charging.

B. Since OP Type-C cable has Type A USB at one end, can I use it with normal charger adapters (with normal charging)

C. Can I use normal Type C Cable to connect OP3 with laptop.

D. Can I purchase only OP3 USB cable and not the whole DASH charging set.

E. Is there a way to use USB 3.0 micro-USB OTG pen drives in the OP3 (using any adapters or something). If yes, would it be safe (it may or may not be fast).

Would appreciate your help.

P.S. Its bad OP is not providing an additional Type C cable in box. I guess they are trying to create some kind of monopoly like apple. Too bad.

2. spooke
    Honeycomb Jun 16, 2016

spooke , Jun 16, 2016 :
    Btw, where were you when the OnePlus Two came out lol

Tbjames and ukamarinuka like this.
  3. droid.
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 16, 2016

droid. , Jun 16, 2016 :
    A. I guess the fast charging is in the wall brick (guess), so if you use a normal Type-C cable then also it should fast charge. But you shouldn't do this as it may create chances of damaging the normal Type-C cable.

B. Yes you surely can, but it will then charge at normal speed. Not dash charging.

C. Yes.

D. What do you mean by purchasing dash charging set? The dash charge wall brick and proprietary cable come along with OP3 inside it's box.

E. Yes you can use OTG using OP's Type-C to micro-USB converter. No it won't do any harm as it isn't like transferring some high amounts of electricity and stuff like that.

4. Plenkske
    Assistant Head Moderator Assistant Head Moderator Jun 16, 2016

Plenkske , Jun 16, 2016 :
    A. Not sure if its safe to use a normal cable, but I think so. It will give normal charging speed though.

B. yes you can use it with normal charging adapters

C. yes you can use normal type-c cable

D. yes you can purchase the cable, check the store

E. dont know about OTG stuff

5. Plenkske
    Assistant Head Moderator Assistant Head Moderator Jun 16, 2016

Plenkske , Jun 16, 2016 :
    You need both the adapter and the cable for dash charging

6. droid.
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 16, 2016

droid. , Jun 16, 2016 :
    Yeah I wasn't sure that's why "guess" :D

7. Hassan_Abdul
    KitKat Jun 16, 2016

Hassan_Abdul , Jun 16, 2016 :
    I love the new cable for being round ... but I dislike it for the "retro design" (I mean you may put it in the wall charger in one direction only, been so happy with the OPT way)

8. mcatkins
    Cupcake Jun 25, 2016

mcatkins , Jun 25, 2016 :
    Does anyone know if the USB-C port supports USB-C Video out, and all the other fancy things that USB-C ports can (potentially) do? Or is it "just" USB 2.0 on a USB-C socket, plus Dash?

(The second would, of course, be disappointing!)

Martin

9. c4rnal
    Froyo Jul 18, 2016

c4rnal , Jul 18, 2016 :
    Is it safe to charge OP3 through my laptop? Ive read all about USB type C acbles frying computers when charging USB type C phones through a PC.

10. NoukNouk
    Gingerbread Jul 18, 2016

NoukNouk , Jul 18, 2016 :
    I've charged my OP3 several times at work with a standard USB-C cable (Belkin cable) without problem.
    I didn't tried with the OP3 USB-C cable from a PC because it stays at home with the dash charger...

11. jkb114
    Lollipop Jul 18, 2016

jkb114 , Jul 18, 2016 :
    I have done it at home... My laptop is fine

12. inffy
    KitKat Jul 18, 2016

inffy , Jul 18, 2016 :
    It's an usb 2.0 port

13. rahulgupta80
    Cupcake Jul 18, 2016

14. Jon_DK
    Cupcake Jul 18, 2016

Jon_DK , Jul 18, 2016 :
    I charged my OP3 with a charger from an LG Nexus 5X and it went from 0-100% in about 1h20m, so I would not call that normal speed, still fast.
    Haven't timed the DASH charge.
    But DASH charge is wonderfully quick. My phone went from 15 to 94%, my wifes phone, SGS6, plugged in 10 minutes before mine, did 55 to 86%.

15. Iho
    Cupcake Jan 8, 2017

Iho , Jan 8, 2017 :
    it's no good recharge smartphone using PC USB 'cause its output has only 0,5A and the charge is really slow. This cause overheating battery and reduce is life capacity.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017

16. Senteznez
    Donut Jan 8, 2017