Need some advice . . . What would you guys do?

?

What would you suggest/do in my position?

1. Trade it in for the Galaxy S8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Buy a new OnePlus phone

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Buy a non OnePlus phone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Fix the camera

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. cradleinflames
    Cupcake Jan 4, 2019

cradleinflames , Jan 4, 2019 :
    So, like many other people, the camera on my OnePlus 3T won't autofocus so I lost a pretty major feature to my phone. I reached out to OnePlus who basically said it's out of warranty and I have to pay to fix it myself (which I think is BS considering they're the ones that broke it with their firmware upgrade . . .).

Right now, I can trade it in for an S8 through my device insurance for $120 or so (but it feels like a downgrade and I'd rather keep a working 3T as a backup, even without a camera, than get a fully functional S8).

The other option is to keep the 3T as a backup, which I'll probably do, even without a camera.

But for now, I'm looking at either:
    a) Keeping a phone without a working camera. Doable but annoying considering how often I need to use a camera (I keep having to take pics with my work phone and text it to this one)
    b) Buy a new phone (I'm still torn if I ever want to purchase another OnePlus phone. Their terrible customer service/solution for this screwup on their end has left a pretty dirty taste in my mouth)
    c) Pay to fix the camera anyway (parts are about $25-30 but I have no idea how much labor costs are)

What would you guys do? I mean, it's a pretty good phone still and I didn't really need to upgrade but I really want a working camera. And I kind of don't want to give OnePlus anymore money after this considering they basically broke it before 2 years was up and told me I was going to have to foot the bill . . . just doesn't seem right.

Any thoughts or suggestions? What would you do in my position? Thanks!

2. BeingIncog
    Nougat Jan 4, 2019

B.yashaswi likes this.
  3. G_kadalancol_rXSC
    Cupcake Jan 6, 2019

G_kadalancol_rXSC , Jan 6, 2019 :
    omg ! I'm in the same shoes as you. The camera is really important to me but now that it's not working and there's no service center for OP in my area I'm considering to buy a new phone. My lists are Pixel 3, Iphone X, and the OP6T. The thing is that the pixel lacks RAM, the iphone are you know-it doesn't have dash charging, but OP6T doesn't have water resistance and the cameras aren't so good, but OP6T has the perfect price for me. Sooo i'm still in the confusion and just wanted to share and maybe i can make my decision soon !

4. unimke
    Gingerbread Jan 7, 2019

unimke , Jan 7, 2019 :
    same problem I'm having too. camera can't focus anymore and no service center where I'm at. I'd buy the op6 instead if I were you.

5. JoeBar07
    Eclair Jan 8, 2019

JoeBar07 , Jan 8, 2019 :
    I would go for option d) try to fix it myself

can't be that hard to change the camera. If you fail you can always buy a new phone and you are richer for the experience.

6. gkaurin
    Cupcake Jan 9, 2019

gkaurin , Jan 9, 2019 :
    Do the camera fix yourself. I have taken apart my phone and it is really easy. just look it up on YouTube. parts are then your only worry. Where to get them. Always get OEM parts.
    good luck and enjoy not paying for labor.