Need update on Travelling to Japan - Prepaid Sim or Rental information pls :)

1. tokienu
    Eclair Nov 3, 2016

tokienu , Nov 3, 2016 :
    Hello,
    I am travelling to Japan in a few months and have the US Version One Plus 3 and One Plus 2. Would like to know if I can buy prepaid sim card in Japan to use with the OP3 /OP2 or should I be renting sim card ? If possible, please give vendors/carrier recommendations. I read thru the forums but no one seem to have updated the information for travelers :( Thanks ! Elaine

Deactivated User likes this.
  2. Deactivated User
    Nov 4, 2016

eye842 likes this.
  3. tokienu
    Eclair Nov 4, 2016

tokienu , Nov 4, 2016 :
    Hi Vjcagay,
    Yes, I am going as a tourist and for 10 days only. I don't really need voice but I'm thinking I will need texts ( there is a group of us going). So with the OP3, it doesn't work with the any carrier for sms/mms texts. Have to rent the phone and the sim card together to get texts plan? If I just get the data-only sim cards, will all of them work or I have to look for specific carrier/ network? Thanks for the help! :)

4. TlathamXmahtalT
    KitKat Nov 4, 2016

TlathamXmahtalT , Nov 4, 2016 :
    You can always get a free texting app and use your data for it.

5. Deactivated User
    Nov 4, 2016

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2016

SimonRam likes this.
  6. tokienu
    Eclair Nov 7, 2016

tokienu , Nov 7, 2016 :
    Perfect! Good to know that data will be enough . Thank you for you help ! :)

Deactivated User likes this.
  7. spooke
    Honeycomb Nov 8, 2016

spooke , Nov 8, 2016 :
    I recently went to Japan and opted for a WiFi Pocket Router, it worked out to something like £70 for 14 days of 4G LTE with a daily 3GB limit - this was more than sufficient and saves a bit of your phones battery life.

8. eye842
    Lollipop Feb 10, 2017