Netflix SD only | Widevine downgraded to L3 - After 15.5.5 OTA

1. anupritaisno1
    KitKat May 23, 2020

anupritaisno1 , May 23, 2020 :
    That's clearly not how encryption works. And no you can't "hash" a fingerprint. Unlike a password fingerprints are always stored in clear even if in hardware and a comparison is done using algorithms like interest area detection. Nobody has ever done encryption with only a fingerprint as a source and if they did they did something terribly wrong

Also as per the specification the persist partition only holds attestation keys that may bind to the device password (not fingerprint) however the actual encryption/decryption keys must never be written to storage as per Qualcomm's own specification so a few other parts of what you say also don't make sense

PS: from what I know the unbrick tool flashes the persist partition in the normal update mode

A few links of interest: https://fckdrm.com
    https://defectivebydesign.com

3ernd likes this.
  2. 3ernd
    Eclair May 23, 2020

3ernd , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 23, 2020 :
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. Any theory's where the trouble comes from?
    If the unbrick tool flashes the persist partion, is the Level 1 also gone, like with unlocking bootloader? Or could this be a way to regain it?

3. anupritaisno1
    KitKat May 23, 2020

anupritaisno1 , May 23, 2020 :
    You need to understand that your explanation of things is wrong but it might very well be fingerprint that causes it for some completely different reason. Only Oneplus could tell for sure though

From what I know so far, flashing that partition does not do so

4. realsherban
    Eclair May 23, 2020

realsherban , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 23, 2020 :
    I am on the latest OxygenOS version and I had Widevine L3 due to unlocking my bootloader. I performed a factory reset and Widevine reverted to L1, so this happened to work in my case.
    The issue with the persist partition is real, I am unable to set up my fingerprint after relocking my bootloader.

5. simplyhg
    Cupcake May 23, 2020

6. Martinsfail
    Froyo May 23, 2020

7. danvxz
    Honeycomb May 24, 2020

danvxz , via OnePlus 7T Pro , May 24, 2020 :
    imagine paying a thousand bucks for a phone and having these kind of issues, combined with the display issues.

hopefully people realise that OnePlus have no idea what they are doing and how much of joke of a company they are

Batfink32 likes this.
  8. TNTq8
    Eclair May 24, 2020

TNTq8 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 24, 2020 :
    Not everyone is facing this problem, and it is Software problem

Even your device 7T pro has a bad camera and battery life

9. danvxz
    Honeycomb May 24, 2020

danvxz , via OnePlus 7T Pro , May 24, 2020 :
    it's not a software, it's a problem with high refresh screen rates. but still, it shouldn't happen for a device that costs $1000.

since your brought up the camera, yes it's bad, which again, should not be for a $800 device.

10. U1590343345441
    Cupcake May 24, 2020

U1590343345441 , May 24, 2020 :
    I am also facing this issue, I find and try many methods. but not work for me. Then I try a method which solves my error please follow
    Open Chrome and type the following address in the address bar
    chrome://components/
    Now find entry find an entry named “Widevine Content Decryption Module”.
    Click the button “Check for update” present underneath.

I hope this will fix your Widevine Content Decryption Module Update error issue Source: Read here

11. 3ernd
    Eclair May 24, 2020

3ernd , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 24, 2020 :
    This maybe solve an issue on your computer, but this Chrome component is not for Android and the issue we are facing is sourced in the Android system itself.

12. ExterminalPT
    Froyo May 25, 2020

ExterminalPT , May 25, 2020 :
    My OnePlus 8 Pro have DRM L1, saturday check, all ok, today, change to L3.
    Wtf is happening??

13. WhateverSuitsU
    Froyo May 25, 2020

WhateverSuitsU , May 25, 2020 :
    Did you update your phone this weekend?

ExterminalPT likes this.
  14. ExterminalPT
    Froyo May 25, 2020

No! Nothing!
    I do Nothing and this downgrade from L1 to L3 alone... From Yesterday to today

15. WhateverSuitsU
    Froyo May 25, 2020

Try uninstalling Netflix, restart the phone and then installing Netflix again.

16. ExterminalPT
    Froyo May 25, 2020

If u dont know, the problem isnt with Netflix! My device lost the widevine DRM L1 key, Amazon prime doesnt play anymore in FHD.... I download from playstore the drm info app and also say DRM L3, only 576p vídeos. Something happens and i dont know what. Yesterday everything is fine.

17. 3ernd
    Eclair May 25, 2020

3ernd , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 25, 2020 :
    Welcome to our exclusive club xD

18. ExterminalPT
    Froyo May 25, 2020

Lool, but this is so weird!
    How this downgrade from L1 to L3 alone!? This is so weird! I think OnePlus cant fix this via software update. I already open a ticket to send my device to repair but i need to know what happens here. Maybe next time It will happens again...

19. Batfink32
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 25, 2020

20. WhateverSuitsU
    Froyo May 25, 2020

Did you try what I said? I had the same issue suddenly with my S20+. Under 'Playback Specifications' in Netflix I suddenly had L3. Uninstalled Netflix, restarted phone, installed Netflix and it was L1 again. I also know that sometimes phones need to be send in to the manufacturer to restore the L1 status, bur can't hurt to try though ;)