Never Settle 2019

1. elanglois Lollipop Jun 22, 2019

elanglois, Jun 22, 2019 :
    Here is my review. Not of the new Oneplus 7 Pro (but typing this on one), but of Oneplus as a company. Many of you guys know I've been around since the Oneplus One. I've run a gazillion ROMs, done board-level hardware repairs, and released a few tools of my own. So what do I think of OnePlus itself?

First, you have to understand where the tech industry was going before OnePlus came about. There were a series of "advancements" that just looked really bad. One example was the DVD/CSS lawsuit. Ever notice that you can't fast forward through commercials on a DVD or Bluray? Ever have a teacher say that they need to find a VHS version because they can't show the DVD in class? Or region coding??? Basically, DVDs get a horribly lame encryption, not to stop piracy, but so they could hide under the US Digital Millenium Copyright Act. The DMCA made it a crime to decrypt something without permission. They then said that if you want the decryption key you have to sign insane agreements about not allowing the users to bypass the silly usage flags (like no fast forwarding) and post a 1 million dollar bond that would be forfeit.

While I won't get too far off topic, this was when things got really bad in tech. There was talk that soon, you wouldn't be able to buy anything electronic. Instead, you buy a license to use the company's product in a manner they see fit only, and any tampering would be destruction of company property. Forced ugrades would be literal. The company would simply tell you that your contract is up and they want the hardware back!

So, by 2014, the only decent cell phones were so expensive that you had to get them via your carrier. The manufacturer had their crapware, the carrier added more, features like hotspots were turned off (or became a paid subscription service - AT&T still does this - charge you extra to use the data you already paid for), and sometimes vital features like Contacts were "modified". AT&T phones stored your Contacts on AT&T servers so that you can upgrade your phone and not lose any contacts. Change service providers and your Contacts are basically held ransom! And the fear was that it would only get worse. Carriers would start to disallow certain apps, enforce their own, more spyware and tracking and all of it allowed under your EULA.

So, we had a bunch of hackers and others in the tech industry looking at the "do not open" attitude and the possibility of HAAS (hardware as a service) when what we REALLY wanted was to tinker and see what these devices were capable of. Then you had other "enthusiasts" that just didn't want to "Settle" for a carrier-branded experience. We wanted our own software (like CyanogenMod) on an open hardware platform. We had to settle for either high prices devices like Samsung and Knox to prevent tampering or really trash hardware that we might be able to backdoor more easily.

Enter Oneplus. It wasn't about the price, but the price was low enough to not need a carrier contract. In fact, no carriers would offer a Oneplus phone anyway. And they had CyanogenOS on the phones, a version of the free CyanogenMod. Cyanogen is now called LineageOS! Yes, those of you that think loading Lineage on your device makes it less "Oneplus" are actually putting the original OnePlus OS back on the device! Better, this new company offered flagship CPU and screen and they let you root without voiding the warranty. You bought the hardware, do what you want with it! That is what we wanted, and we didn't have to settle for carrier crapware or underpowered devices.

Needless to say, the timing was right for Oneplus. And the slogan "NEVER SETTLE" perfect!

Is this still the same company? Have we settled? I don't think so. Oneplus seems to be actually working hard to improve. My OP3T just got another update last week (before I put HavocOS back on it)! How many people thought OP3 would still be supported? Yes, they partnered with a US Carrier, but chose the "uncarrier", who's network I already use anyway. They still are offering tech that blows away the competition in many others at a very affordable price, no bloatware, and you still have your warranty if you root it.

Are they more expensive than before? Yes. But there is now an entire market for high-spec mid-range phones (and @malidan will keep us up to date on why they are better than Oneplus's latest offering). Since that space has plenty of competition, Oneplus has sort of carved out its own little niche between the high and mid range tiers, and ... I LIKE my OP7Pro! And as others have pointed out, the 7 is cheaper than the 6T, so its not like they are just raising prices out of greed. They are just making better phones!

Comments below.
    Thanks

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019

KILLTIME, Discostu, Njux and 74 others like this.
  2. noquarter French POC Assistant Head Moderator Jun 22, 2019

noquarter, Jun 22, 2019 :
    @elanglois you thread, initially created in op7 series section, has been moved to off topic section as it is not related to a specific product.
    Thanks

Mark Falsing and Tostasa like this.
  3. F1561220704296 Froyo Jun 22, 2019

F1561220704296, Jun 22, 2019 :
    Maybe it was meant as a rebuttle to those that said that the OP7 Pro was no longer following the Never Settle mantra because they were just another flagship and no longer a "flagship killer" and just another high priced flagship.

Many people's willingness to buy a device such as the OP7 Pro may have as much to do with the company and the company identity than yet another list of specs that we've all seen over and over again.

Do we really need another review stating that the glass is premium but slippery, the phone is really big, and the 90Hz display is really smooth, but the camera needs work? That's every OP7 phone review summed up.

4. femiuex Gingerbread Jun 28, 2019

femiuex, Jun 28, 2019 :
    The software improvements needed feel like we are getting Beta versions on our devices. Maybe the hardware specs are impressive but consumer experience will dwindle if the final product seems like "half baked".
    We're not talking about new additional features to be added but simply the existing ones. They sometimes do not work as intended.

Don't get me wrong, I love my OP. It been great apart from a few niggles, it's perfect for my needs.
    We just need the software to be optimized before adding new features.

And yes, this time around by releasing 2 devices, 1 intended to penetrate into the premium market, people are confused with the direction of OP. Especially when the OP7 (Non-Pro) was released inconspicuously after the OP7 Pro.

The OP7 (Non-Pro) embodies the "Never Settle" mantra but this device being too much under-the-radar, is being overlooked by consumers and sometimes by OP themselves.

It is all about the OP7 Pro as this premium device is the flagship.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019

nateavi, TheAyushJain and Hitman424 like this.
  5. H1558214510004 Froyo Jun 28, 2019

6. Helder_DAlmeida Honeycomb Jun 28, 2019

Saliou and Hitman424 like this.
  7. G_DMcgrw_COREAudioVisual Cupcake Jun 28, 2019

G_DMcgrw_COREAudioVisual, Jun 28, 2019 :
    Ok, I have an issue with my OnePlus One. It's in a boot loop, so it powers on and off. It also will not stay in fastboot mode. My OnePlus One has had better days and it's hard to part with. My goal is to restore it without losing and data files and apps. Any suggestions.

8. Jontalk5 Froyo Jun 28, 2019

Jontalk5, Jun 28, 2019 :
    As a long time Samsung Galaxy owner, I'd grown disenchanted for many reasons, the most important being how quickly they drop supporting devices. That plus the extraordinary amount of bloat, finicky Touch Wiz and poor build quality, I was blown away when I picked up a nearly new 5T a few months ago. To say the phone is well designed and manufactured is an understatement. And noticing how OP continues to support older devices, updates to newer Android versions ahead of most and the sheer performance and battery life of the 5T, I'm of the opinion OP is a leader in the industry. Hands down, this is the best device I've owned, and yes, I've had iPhones too; in fact the last one was exchanged SIX times until I got one whose battery would hold a charge. Enough said.

Discostu, MJCass, Dirk66 and 2 others like this.
  9. Hitman424 Gingerbread Jun 29, 2019

Hitman424, Jun 29, 2019 :
    well said. very well said. i have had iphones and samsungs since start. i will never ever go back to either especially thru a Carrier.. what a horrible expierence i had for such a long time. this is my first oneplus. i love it. have their been some issues yeah but the company has and is listening to its customers and working on all. my oneplus 7pro 12 256 is fast and beautiful.. i will NEVER SETTLE for anything less again. #oneplus #forever

Saliou likes this.
  10. N1561726560337 Cupcake Jun 29, 2019

11. Jontalk5 Froyo Jun 29, 2019

Jontalk5, Jun 29, 2019 :
    Couldn't agree more. Neither Samsung or Apple compare and the OP launcher is well executed too. I'd been using Nova on the Samsung phones, but see no need with the 5T especially after enabling Developer mode which allows setting it to 'beast mode'. So many benefits to these phones, its hard not to choose anything else

Hitman424 likes this.
  12. elanglois Lollipop Jun 29, 2019

elanglois, Jun 29, 2019 :
    Beast mode??

13. elanglois Lollipop Jun 29, 2019

What do you mean it won't stay in Fastboot mode?? Send me a private message. My One is still running smooth

14. Jontalk5 Froyo Jun 29, 2019

Jontalk5, Jun 29, 2019 :
    Yep..when you enable the Developer option in settings, you can lower the Window, Transition and Animator duration settings to 0 or .5 which allows apps and functions to be much snappier. There's other things you can do as well, but the lightning fast response is referred to as Beast Mode

Hitman424 and Saliou like this.
  15. elanglois Lollipop Jun 29, 2019

I can't comment on your claims of being half-baked. You haven't mentioned any specific issues. Also, a number of people are using the word "optimize" as if it meant "debug" ... not sure where that comes from.

My reply is to address the OP7 being introduced after the OP7 Pro. Look how often people cry and complain every time that OnePlus releases a new device because the new one is better just 6 months later. What would happen if they released the OP7 and then just a month later release the Pro? The backlash would be incredible. The OP7 is the answer for people that looked at the OP7 Pro and found it to be too large, too thick, too heavy, or can't handle the pop-up camera.

Personaly, I think this will be another OPX.

Discostu, Dirk66 and toastytoast1234 like this.
  16. elanglois Lollipop Jun 29, 2019

First, EVERY Android phone in recent memory has had this option. It's built into AOSP and has been since before KitKat.

Second, it is NOT referred to as "Beast Mode" except by some idiot YouTube reviewers that are using the term as click bait. And the bait must have worked on you. Pick up ANY Android phone and you can change the animation scales. Its no big deal, it's not a ʾmodeʾ and has nothing to do with Oneplus

17. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Jun 29, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Jun 29, 2019 :
    If only the developer community supported other devices too like Asus Zenfone 6 (or 6z), LG phones, Xiaomi, etc. I won't be surprised if those devices became more popular.

What keeps OnePlus on top is Oxygen OS, otherwise there are other brands that offer better hardware for your money.

If OnePlus fails it's customers on the trust factor, it is only a matter of time before it becomes history.

18. toastytoast1234 Marshmallow Jun 29, 2019

toastytoast1234, Jun 29, 2019 :
    Customers are like goldfish, they have attention spans less than the release cycle of new models. How many times have you seen someone here bitching that they've been screwed by the OPO, OP2, OP3T, OP5 etc, and yet they still buy an OP7(*)?

Discostu, Jontalk5, Hitman424 and 3 others like this.
  19. elanglois Lollipop Jun 29, 2019

Huh? Developers support all those devices, but Oneplus supports developers.

OOS is crap and didn't even exist until the falling out between Cyanogen and Oneplus, which ... oddly enough ... was over the Indian market. Oneplus was already way over initial sales projections by then.

toastytoast1234 likes this.
  20. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Jun 29, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Jun 29, 2019 :
    I don't think much of those "bitching" were about privacy and security. Also, those who really care are too small in numbers to be safely ignored.